SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently passed my MSF course and got my permit and I am now ready to buy my first motorcycle. I have been wanting a motorcycle for years now and its finally my time to get one. For those past years I have been changing my mind on what type of bike I would buy. First It was a Ninja 250, then a 600RR, then a F4i, and now a supermoto. But what I have realized is that no matter the type, I have always wanted a really nice bike. For example when I wanted a 600rr; I wanted a REALLY clean and modded 600rr. When I wanted a supermoto; I wanted a DRZ that had 4k of aftermarket mods already put into it. When going on craigslist I was attracted to these really sexy bikes and now I am thinking the opposite. I am thinking that my first bike should be the most reliable cheap option I can find on craigslist. That I shouldn't care to much about the bike and just focus on getting comfortable with riding. It being my first bike; I will drop it, could get stolen, or any other bad thing that comes with zero experience. I am the type of person that loves doing their research on things that I will buy. This makes me always want to get the best of the best on anything I spend my money on. So even though I have done years of research on bikes and my mind wants me to get the best bike I can find, I feel it might be a better idea for my first bike to be something I don't care about as much. Is this a good idea? Or will buying a bike that I don't care about make me not want to ride as much? Will I get over having a crappy bike and will just want to upgrade? What do you guys think?

Right now I am thinking of getting a DRZ. I live up in the mountains so it will be tons of fun up here. I will also be commuting 30 miles everyday on the bike. 10 of those miles being highway.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hello everyone,

I recently passed my MSF course and got my permit and I am now ready to buy my first motorcycle. I have been wanting a motorcycle for years now and its finally my time to get one. For those past years I have been changing my mind on what type of bike I would buy. First It was a Ninja 250, then a 600RR, then a F4i, and now a supermoto. But what I have realized is that no matter the type, I have always wanted a really nice bike. For example when I wanted a 600rr; I wanted a REALLY clean and modded 600rr. When I wanted a supermoto; I wanted a DRZ that had 4k of aftermarket mods already put into it. When going on craigslist I was attracted to these really sexy bikes and now I am thinking the opposite. I am thinking that my first bike should be the most reliable cheap option I can find on craigslist. That I shouldn't care to much about the bike and just focus on getting comfortable with riding. It being my first bike; I will drop it, could get stolen, or any other bad thing that comes with zero experience. I am the type of person that loves doing their research on things that I will buy. This makes me always want to get the best of the best on anything I spend my money on. So even though I have done years of research on bikes and my mind wants me to get the best bike I can find, I feel it might be a better idea for my first bike to be something I don't care about as much. Is this a good idea? Or will buying a bike that I don't care about make me not want to ride as much? Will I get over having a crappy bike and will just want to upgrade? What do you guys think?

Right now I am thinking of getting a DRZ. I live up in the mountains so it will be tons of fun up here. I will also be commuting 30 miles everyday on the bike. 10 of those miles being highway.
1 forget 'mods', horsepower, and pictures
2 sit on every bike at your local dealerships, making note of the ones that fit and feel interesting
3 narrow that list by which one was best, and go buy a used one with 20-30,000 miles on it
4 drop it in the driveway. you're going to anyway, so get it over with
5 gymkhana -EVERY new rider should do this, and EVERY jaded "that's slow kids stuff, i'm too awesome for that" rider should do it
6 repeat 5 a few times
7 practice medium speed collision avoidance, heavy braking and gravel
8 have you forgotten about the glossy pictures and bolt on 'mods' yet ? good, you're almost a newbie now
9 repeat all this crap again.
10 congrats, you lived long enough to be a newbie. think about bolt ons in 10-15 years when just enjoying a twisty country road doesn't do it for you anymore.

yes, i'm serious

·
Registered
487 Posts
If I were you I'd buy an older bike. When it comes to supermotos the engines from year 2000 era bikes are really not all that different from the current models and things like suspension haven't moved on that much either. So ,you can get a fairly cheap bike and shine it up quite easily and then you have a really nice bike that didn't cost you much.

My 2004 KTM SMC is an awesome bit of kit and it cost me a fraction of what a new bike cost. And yes. I've dropped it and I didn't get too upset because it's not like thousands of dollars to repair when it goes down.

It's like anything. When you first get a bike you want it to be amazing. The best! But if you buy an affordable, older bike and then as you grow up with the machine you'll find that you mod it to fit yourself. My bike has all sorts of crazy shit going on in the engine that was stock when I bought it but it didn't happen all at once. I just improved things as I went along and now it's possibly the most mental version of the SMC that I've ever come across. And it's pretty too. :)

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts