SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been reading the forums for a while now, and I'm buying an used WR250x. Here are the ads (don't comment about the asking price, it's $14k+ brand new here in Vietnam and I managed to talk it down to $6400 shipped)

I have a 2008 model Yami WR250x up for sale.

Price: 7xxx USD

+ It's a dual sport bike, capable of traveling through pretty much all terrain, ie, gravel, sand, mud (yes it can. I've done it), soil, dirt, grass, sidewalks, small children etc.

+ It has had all of it's "emissions" crap removed (producing more power) now the bike can breath! and as a result, weight has also been dro**ed by about 5kg.

+ Oil and filter service at 1,500km intervals. Motul 300V oil and Yami filters ONLY.

- K&N air filter

+ Electronically fuel injected, easy starts whenever. Cold, hot, dro**ed, 80degree hill climbs, etc.

- No gasoline gushes out when dropped.

+ Stable and comfortable highway speeds of 150km/h and a lot more, if you want to put up with the wind blast.

- Front sprock 13, rear sprock 49 (plus a free 42 sprock+ o-ring chain bonus!!)

+ Now produces about ~31HP and 19ft/lb Torque

- Weighs ~125kg

- will outrun anything from the 400class; with power to weight ratio

+ FmF fuel controller for personal on-the-fly tuning

- Gets up to 180km per tank (130,ooo VND) if you're not hooligan-ing around town too much. =D

+ FmF power bomb header pipe

-BigGun end can

+ Front tire Pirelli Diablo Strada, rear tire Dunlop SportMax Alpha10

+ Protamper/Contour handlebars

- Acerbis Supermoto hand guards

+ EBC Limited edition Kevlar Dirt Clutch full system+springs (not opened!)

+ Factory Spec rear+front brake pads (just replaced!)

+ VERY VERY durable and reliable machine.

-User manual specifies oil changes at 5000km intervals..

-and valve checks every 40,oookm.. gives you an idea.

-Electronic user manual included, as proof. =D

+ Normal wear and scratches from usage. Still very pretty. =P

Price: 7xxx USD

No.

I am not making any profit off of this sale.

if you're still in doubt,

go add up the extras and modifications.
here are the aftermarket parts (again just ignore the prices):

K&N air filter 50$ 75$
FMF Fuel controller 200$ 300$
FMF PowerBomb 170$ 255$
Big Gun endcan 150$ 225$
Contour Handlebars+Clamps 125$ 185$
Acerbis SumoHandguards 90$ 135$
EBC Limited Ed.Kevlar Clutch Kit 120$ 180$
Factory Spec BrakePads 50$ 75$
42T sprocket+Oring Chain 50$ 75$
Emitions crap removed FREE
Pirelli Front+Dunlop Rear FREE
I have about 10 hours to decide before the owner is gone, she's leaving for a week or too and want to let the bike go soon (that's why she decided to let it go for over $1000 less than asking price), talking with her, she seems like a girl that know bikes, she's moving up to an KTM 530 after that, too.

I'm reading a lot about this bike lately and it seems that the owner has done every basic mods (AIS, intake flapper, exup...) but I'm afraid that maybe she didn't do it the right way.

Also, she has taken the bike to some trail riding and ride it agressively (I'm guessing about the agressively part) and I'm afraid that there maybe some damages that aren't properly fixed.

Enough said, what should I do to check out the bike? Given I have a week or too to decided if I want to keep it or not. It's a lot of money for me and I really want it to be well spent.

About me, I have next to none knownledge about dirt bike and sumo technical stuff although I have some experience with street bike (I have a Gixxer 750 atm)

Thank you, and sorry about my broken English.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i mean i dont know what the prices are in vietnam but thats alot of money but i guess its different there. Really there is only one way to do those mods really cant screw it up... I have all those mods done plus the programmer pipe combo i really love the bike. Handles awesome stops on a dime, gets good gas mileage..ive had alot of bikes hands down my favorite.. hope this helps

·
Registered
59 Posts
Shipped and a week to decide? Where are you getting it from? Have you actually spoke to someone. Could it be a scam?

I personally wouldn't buy a bike sight unseen, but you may not have a choice.

·
Registered
446 Posts
+1.
Unless your money is held in escrow until the bike is delivered, inspected and the vehicle title is verified as legal and clean it sounds you are gambling with your money.

Maybe importing bikes is more common there but here in the USA it's a huge risk and all used bikes are sold "as is" buyer beware, buyer pay any and all shipping expenses and tax.

US Customs could hold it for years at will and the plating, title and vehicle inspection process can cost a small fortune. It must meet all EPA and DOT specifications to be licenced for street use.

Good bike, risky proposition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all of you for worrying about me getting into a scam, to make a long story short, if it's turn out to be "not as advertised", I won't lose my money, ok maybe I will lost about $50 shipping fees.

Problem is, I don't know how to check to see if the bike is in good condition or not, and I have a week or two to check it out (meaning she shipped me the bike first and I pay up later if I decide to keep it). Please tell me if you think of anything that really important that I should specially pay attention to.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bro, this sounds like a scam! Who ships a bike and allows the buyer to inspect it without getting paid!?!?! The answer is NOBODY! I see these scams all the time on craigslist etc etc. Pick the bike up in person, check out the title, ride it, then pay. I would have cost me almot $3000 just to ship my DRZ back from Japan. I imagine Vietnam is alot more expensive, so how can shipping be included in the price? Would hate to have you scammed out of this. We need more info on the sale, where the bike is coming from etc etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No I don't ship it from another country (ie importing), the owner and I are from different cities.

The owner of the bike is turned out to be working in the same industry as me, we even worked "together" in a project last year although I don't even remember meeting her before, I checked with friends in my network and some of them know her. Not trying to be someone who a VIP or something but if you put my name in to Google you'll know all about me (well I work in PR so somehow it can't be avoided and even expected in order to make money)... that's why she's ok with letting me pay later (if I don't pay her up I'll get into big trouble, lot of people will know that's I'm a scammer and I'm pretty much f*cked). To be honest I have to give her $1000 upfront so she can reserve the KTM she want but I guess if she's really a scammer I will lose $1000 and it's not even easy for her to avoid me. I know where she leave, where she study (still a student), who's her boyfriend, who's her parents.... etc... just by digging around social sites...

So, once again thanks a lot for worrying about me, I'll really appreciate that but that's not what I'm asking :D

Here are some pics of the bike if it helps:

·
Registered
523 Posts
why does it have a gold rear rim in one of the pics?:headscrat
looks like a nice bike but looks like its done its fair share of trail riding too!!
i cant offer you any help though i dont know much bout these bikes :headshake

Hope it goes well for you bro :thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe it was dirt that make that rear rim look golden. I paid her $1000 already, the bike was shipped yesterday and will be here in a few days. Still looking for any help regarding checking the bike out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My fav part of the ad: - No gasoline gushes out when dropped. - ha!

Clearly the bike has been taken around the block a few times. That price is high, but somewhat understood with all things considered.

I've loved my 250x for about 2 years now. Extremely reliable and a ton of fun. My only gripe is the lack of power - eventually I'll trade up due to this.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
ya im with everyone else on the scam part... mainly cause i dont trust anyone.. Hope it works out for you far as checking the bike out. Look at teh oil site glass if its really dirty thats a bad sign that she doesnt take care of her stuff... Check to see if its leaking any oil... look inside the radiator shrouds make sure coolant level is good.. check to see if it blue smokes when you crack the throttle, check the rims for flat spots or cracks check for broken spokes... make sure all the lights work... check to see if any of the bolts on the motor have been taken off you can tell by looking at them if they have had a wrench on them or not.. ride it make sure the clutch doesnt slip get on the bike hard.. obviously make sure it shifts through all the gears.. listen for any motor noise pining knocking etc. Ask for all receipts of maintence records like oil changes receipts any thing else she bough and try to get all the orginal stuff like owners manual org pipe and so on.... the guy i bought my bike from had all the recepits from everytime he bought and changed oil... had all the orginal manuals and keys and recepits to all the aftermarket stuff purchased he was meticouls thats why i didnt mind buying it with 26000 miles on the ticker still looks and runs brand new... check all those things and you should be alright there pretty bullet proof good luck and get back with us to let us know how it went... hope this was what you were looking for

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
I hate to point this out to you now but......did you realize the bike with the gold rim picture.....is a different bike? Different number, Different muffler (look at end cap), and the rim is gold....its not mud.

I hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it has 6 one on size and 9 on the other size...

haven't got time to take the picture or thoroughly check the bike yet, every essential check passed but what do you think about the fact that it has been taken to some off road race practice with stock wheels? Or it will be ok if everything still work fine?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Trail riding with the stock wheels is fine.. I'm sure she didn't have an easy time going through all that mud with them street tires, though :lol:

It does seem the middle picture has some slight differences compared to the other two, but then again those 3 pictures could have been taken days, weeks, months apart..parts could have been upgraded/changed in that time. As long as you have what's advertised on the bike, I wouldn't worry about that.

These are durable bikes. It would take some extreme abuse before I would worry about anything she could have done to it. Ride it like it was a 2 stroke! :clap:

Oh and yes, like others mentioned, make sure to look over everything. I would expect a little wear, scratches, etc.. but go with your gut instinct.. if something don't seem right to you, get a second opinion or send it back,

·
Registered
446 Posts
what happend??! The entire thing sounded super fishy to me but i'd like to know how things worked out for you..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts