SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, This is my first post on supermoto junkie after literally years of lurking. I have seen the light and supermotos seem like the best thing since they strapped a internal combustion engine to a bicycle frame. I have scoured the internet almost to a obsessive level in pursuit of my next bike and have learned a great deal but still feel I could be missing something.

A little about myself first, I have run into some personal issues with mental health and have been on disability for a little while now so im a little short on cash. (god damn it i wish I had a job right now) So I'm looking to sell my absolutely beloved Ducati streetfighter 848, told myself I wouldn't but it doing the bike a disservice sitting and is killing me inside not riding. The type of riding I plan on doing is a fair amount of street combined with light off road riding like fire roads but what I really want is a bike I can abuse, lay down, high side myself to improve my skills on. And down the road if my life actually gets on track...go to the track again lol. Also looking for something I can learn to wrench on, that wouldn't be totally intimidating. I understand the core concept of checking valves, oil etc etc but Haven't done it myself.

And on with the show. my choices are...
wr250r. cant argue with this thing, it honestly seems like the best option. relatively light, street bike like maintenance and half decent suspension and brakes.
Drz400sm another damn good choice. not quite as light, little more horse power and a little more maintenance seems like a damn good machine.
ktm 690/husky 701 Enough power to eat high way all day long with a nice threshold to out run cars, a lot more maintenance intensive (probably enough to put me out of contension for this), (shorter life span y/n?) fairly heavy. but seriously looks like a fun machine with enough power to hang with sport bike.
A pit bike or a freakin scooter...im desperate.
If there is anything I missed or have some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and have a good day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will this bike be used as a mode of transport as well? or more of a toy?

If I were you, to clear my mind, ride the hell out of the thing and just go crazy. Id just go straight track bike.
But if you are going to commute as well, then id say DRZ. Cheap, easy to work on and loves to be abused

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Defiantly not something im going to commute on, and I live about two minutes from dirt roads and my own private track (a abandoned mill site) seriously like the idea of a lightweight machine

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
I think you are on the right track with a DRZ400.
Many to choose from. Every accessory known to man available.

Dirt roads, the 21/18 wheels are better. Maybe consider a second set of wheels.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
If I could only have one bike it would be a DRZ sm -

only real down side is the weight and there is no way to lighten it up-
except throwing away the metal gas cap ---->

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, the drz seems like a fun machine and is pretty idiot proof. There is a good chance its going to be my next bike. Surprisingly hard to find a used one in my area though, I expected them to be everywhere. Is the maintenance costs all that much more on the 690/701? because there is like 6 of them in my area when there is only one drz for barley under msrp.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
The 690/701 is not high mtce.
Not to be confused with the comp bikes YZ/WR, SX/EXC FC/FE

They are generally more expensive to buy, and parts might be a little more pricey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts