SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Duke II and was wanting to replace it with the 690 model for three main reasons. (Lots) more power, 6th gear, and a slipper clutch. Now I read that the 690 SMC is almost 30 pounds lighter than the Duke and I am torn. I love the Duke look more, but 30 pounds is a TON. Also, how will having twice the suspension travel effect the feel on the SMC? I am looking for a pure street bike as I have a DRZ-400s and an EXC-450 already for dirt. Should I get over the looks and buy the SMC, or is the Duke a better street bike? The under engine exhaust is sick and doesn't melt the blinkers or your leg. But 30 pounds is 30 fucking pounds. What are the differences in the way they ride? Is the Duke a heavy slow pig compared to the SMC, or is it just a different look to the same general flavor? Is the 690 Duke really THAT much faster than my old Duke?
Thanks in advance for all your opinions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Haven't ridden a Duke yet, but I'll venture that with exhaust location alone it's center of gravity will make it feel as light as the SMC.

Probably a better street bike since you can hide from the wind more due to the lower seating position.

The 690SMC is awful good, having both wouldn't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I sold my duke II for the SMC. my duke II had an FCR 41 and cored mufflers. the flat slide carb makes A TON of difference. it even improves the MPG.

the 690 SMC is better in terms of power but expect a huge difference if you duke has a FCR. definitely better pull in the upper rpms.

690 SMC has better range. I recall my duke can do about 110 miles. the 690 will do about 140 miles.

SMC is better on the freeway due to 6th gear, more power and alot less vibs.

however, the SMC has very stiff suspension but you can soften it up to the comfort setting. I left mine on the sports settings. it handles better than the duke.

if you can afford it go for the 690 SMC. the duke will always be a classic though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you are looking for a pure street bike, then it's clear you want the Duke. The SMC has the longer suspension for the dirty stuff. The Duke has a much more comfortable seat for the road stuff.

I say Duke if you already have 2 dirt bikes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
fast4d,

You paint a good argument against the Duke II, but in respect to Fuel milage, handling, vibes, and power isn't the 690 SMC more 690 Duke with a lower CG than a Duke II?

·
Registered
599 Posts
my mistake.

I thought he was comparing the duke II to the 690 SMC.

if you're trying to decide between a 690 SMC vs 690 duke, then yes the 690 duke will be closer to your duke II

FWIW, the 690 SMC has longer travel but its very stiff so you won't use that much of it unless you're getting airborne.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FWIW, the 690 SMC has longer travel but its very stiff so you won't use that much of it unless you're getting airborne.
+1, I was surprised how firm (stiff) the SMC suspension is. Haven't seen tech specs regarding the spring rate or valving differences between the SMC and Duke, I would think the Duke is at least a little softer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
rode my friend's 2000 640 SMC. the suspension setup for a 200lb rider is plush compare to the 690

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well I have a Duke II, 690SM and a 690 Duke and love them all. The 690 Duke is more like a sport bike than the Duke II. The Duke II compares more to the 690 SM. I could easliy off road my Duke II but the 690 Duke will never be able to jump nor go offroad like my Duke II. I love them both thats why I am keeping them! IMO the Duke II is just a badass raw bike and the 690 Duke is more refined but not much more. Can't really go wrong with any of the 690's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts