SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So there I was riding around and enjoying a nice day. I was actually recording a VLOG, when a taxicab almost took me out. In that situation , I don't think I could have really done anything different. I think I made a mistake when I saw the car in front of my not moving, ( that's common here) due to traffic, so I was slowing down and did a head check to see if it was clear and BOOM!!! HELLO! Wake up call. I would have to say the taxi was probably about 1inch/ maybe closer. He is clearly in my lane. For all you lazy folks .. it happens @ 3:06

Thank God, I had my GOPRO recording. It turns out I didn't need it this time to ID fault, but either way - it comes in handy. This was just a reminder for me to never become complacent.

Ride Safe Guys!

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFuffQM2DQQ

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Shit like that never looks "that bad" in videos. Videos never show the "real ride" whether it be on road or off road.
In any case, glad you're still with us.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shit like that never looks "that bad" in videos. Videos never show the "real ride" whether it be on road or off road.
In any case, glad you're still with us.
Thank you. Sadly, I failed at truly capturing it.. as it approached from the rear.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
going out on a limb here, or maybe not...

i dont think you even knew it was there, untill it was right on your tail, or passing you. either way, you could have been a Moto sandwich stopping in the center of the lane.

It looks like it was in "your" lane, and then saw that the other taxi was stopped, then saw you, then it swerved around you. It didnt come into "your" lane.

fwiw, its not your lane unless you are in a truck.

IMO, chuck the single bar-end mirror, clip an 1-1/2" off your bars and follow the guy with the yellow helmet.

Be engaged in riding, and quit waving your hands around. You need to push on the bars to turn, and can't do so if you are gesturing to your audience.

sorry to come across as a dick, I truly mean well.

ride safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@idle... I don't think you are being a dick at all. I actually totally agree with. I was consumed in telling a story, and also exhausted like heck from a long workout session. The heat and me wearing all my gear was also a factor. Bottom line I was tired and not fully n tune. That's on me. I also agree with you...that taxi could have been behind then swerved or not... I didn't see him..so can't be sure.

So lesson learned on my part. As for vlogs. I will do them..just not n city traffic anymore.

Thanks and I appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Taxi cabs are the most dangerous vehicles on the road. I always keep an eye out for them. What's nice is it's easy to spot them because those triangle shaped ads they have on the roof stick up above traffic like a sharks fin.

Good you're ok.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i almost got clipped by taxis twice in the city. That and other reasons has me taking a break from street riding. You have to be constantly aware and aggressively defensive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I concur gents. However in this clip. The fault was mine. I was tired...not paying 100% attention and I wasn't checking my rear mirror as often as I should have. We live and learn right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
bad form imo on the taxi driver - taxi used part of hypermotard's lane to squeeze by trapping hypermotard. Taxi also had wrong signal on

i don't have much experience but my problems in traffic so far have come from people speeding by me in the adjacent lane and then their lane is blocked by a double parked car or just by heavy traffic and people go from almost stopped to pulling into my lane right in front of me while I am still at speed and there is not enough time for me to come to a full stop and i have to drift into the next lane without time to check mirror, signal, head check and go

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW gents....here is my plug as new vlogger. All subscriptions are appreciated. Especially my bros from the supermoto community.... @strafer....don't worry about not having experience. I've been riding for several years and as you see n the video..I still made a real rookie mistake. The key is to recognize our mistakes and improve our riding.

Stay vigilant guys.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I pulled a dumb one a month or so back. I was coming into a busy intersection, lots of lanes, and I needed to turn left. So, I got into what I thought was the rightmost of two left turn lanes, only to see that there was only one left turn lane. I'd been watching my mirrors, and there was a beatup red Chevy a good 3 car-lengths back, the cars in the left lane were stopped, and I only had about 1 1/2 car-lengths to get into the lane so I turned in (only making about 15mph). Well, the Chevy had suddenly accelerated for no reason I can figure as the cars in front of it were stopped, and when I head-checked as I turned all I saw was red paint. I locked up and nearly tipped over and stopped with my left leg about 1-2 feet from the red cars right bumper corner. If I hadn't seen it at the last second it probably wouldn't have hurt the car at that speed, but would have knocked me down and possibly broken my left leg, maybe slammed me into the pavement hard enough to break my right shoulder (again, shit that hurts). Probably 60-70% my fault for making a snap decision, and the rest their fault for driving like an idiot - who the hell suddenly accelerates into stopped cars at a red light unless the driver was just being an asshole and trying to cut me off? (I was signaling a left turn a good 100 feet before I turned into the vacant spot). Anyway, I bobbled a bit in locking it up while in a turn, but didn't lose it and mostly I just was embarrassed at the awkward bobble. Would have been a shame to have gotten hurt as badly as I could have because of where I would have been hit, and especially at such a slow speed. I don't think ATGATT would have helped my leg much but might have saved my shoulder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i almost got clipped by taxis twice in the city. That and other reasons has me taking a break from street riding. You have to be constantly aware and aggressively defensive.
Taxi's are the most dangerous of all cagers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pulled a dumb one a month or so back. I was coming into a busy intersection, lots of lanes, and I needed to turn left. So, I got into what I thought was the rightmost of two left turn lanes, only to see that there was only one left turn lane. I'd been watching my mirrors, and there was a beatup red Chevy a good 3 car-lengths back, the cars in the left lane were stopped, and I only had about 1 1/2 car-lengths to get into the lane so I turned in (only making about 15mph). Well, the Chevy had suddenly accelerated for no reason I can figure as the cars in front of it were stopped, and when I head-checked as I turned all I saw was red paint. I locked up and nearly tipped over and stopped with my left leg about 1-2 feet from the red cars right bumper corner. If I hadn't seen it at the last second it probably wouldn't have hurt the car at that speed, but would have knocked me down and possibly broken my left leg, maybe slammed me into the pavement hard enough to break my right shoulder (again, shit that hurts). Probably 60-70% my fault for making a snap decision, and the rest their fault for driving like an idiot - who the hell suddenly accelerates into stopped cars at a red light unless the driver was just being an asshole and trying to cut me off? (I was signaling a left turn a good 100 feet before I turned into the vacant spot). Anyway, I bobbled a bit in locking it up while in a turn, but didn't lose it and mostly I just was embarrassed at the awkward bobble. Would have been a shame to have gotten hurt as badly as I could have because of where I would have been hit, and especially at such a slow speed. I don't think ATGATT would have helped my leg much but might have saved my shoulder.
Nah, I don't think its your fault.. not much you could've done in that position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts