SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a used 2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF with 1500 miles on it. I have to pick it up at NC, and ride it all the way back home to FL because I have gone thru all of my budget. I got my license a week ago, so my experience riding a motorcycle is what I learned at the motorcycle safety program.
My questions are:
1. Should I be doing this 700 mile trip being a noob?
2. Highway (I-95) or US1? What type of road is the most safe for my experience?
3. What maintenance do I have to check on the motorcycle while on the road? (For example; tyre pressure, oil, lubing the chain)
4. Gear, equipment, safety?

Thank you all for your comments. Crazy or not, I will be making the trip, I just need the most information I can get from riders like you.http://64.19.142.10/www.supermotojunkie.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You'll lose your noob status by the time you get home! I'd stay off the freeway personally. It's BORING as all hell. Take some extra time if you can and take all the backroads available. Keep an eye on all fluid levels at every stop.

·
Registered
218 Posts
OH JEEZ! Thats gonna be a haul! You will def loose your noob status. I would also recommend the slow roads. Take breaks often! You might want to think about bringing an extra spark plug, couple water bottles full of gas, cell phone, map.....Def going to be an eye opener for a new rider. Good luck bud:D

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Carefull the last road trip i took lasted 2.5 years.Left Mass day after christmas,stoped in N.Carolina,then on to Texas and back home.Started on a kz750,moved to a 58 enfield and finished on a 76 Sportster.
OK,so i didnt have a time table,or a clue what i was gonna do.Road lots,drank much,worked some.
*No bar to far,no muff to tuff. Everyone should go on a road trip:thumbup:

#5 put gas in it. Pushing sucks.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
^^ Good point. Carry one of those small 2.5gal gas cans with ya. One of those bungee nets for 5 bucks is the way to get it done.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Its totally doable! Just take your time, dont rush, and ride at a pace that you are comfortable with. Stick to back roads or county highways, better scenery and less stupid high speed traffic than the interstate. Interstates get boring REAL fast. I do long trips with the DRZ all the time, gas stops for me are every 100 miles and thats about all I could do in the saddle before my ass falls off. Keep an eye on fluids and tires. Longest trip in one day was just over 500 miles, rode from Cincy, OH to Washington, DC. Remember to drink lots of fluids, its very easy to dehydrate when riding a bike long distance. Wind keeps you cool and can suck you dry with out realizing it. Look into getting padded bike shorts and a sheep skin cover. Your ass will thank you in the long run. Ride on! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'd take the backroads as much as possible. 95 is boring as all hell. Plus you'll get to see stuff you wouldn't otherwise. As another plus, you will get a lot more riding experience than droning in a strait line for 700 miles @ 60-70mph. Motards were not meant for that.

Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
And another thing to point out… Bring a camera to take pics for a detailed ride report when you get back and post it here!

Good luck to you. Bring some basic tools in your backpack. Pliers, some wrenches and/or sockets, zip ties are good, maybe some duct tape ect. Be safe and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, so this is my check list:
Back roads
Hydration
Fluids and tires
Basic tools
Pictures

What about riding at night?

Great info! Thanks to all who have posted.:thumbup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Depending on where you are going to be in NC it could possibly get pretty chilly at night. I would reccommend some sort of warming/waterproofing layer also.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just an idea, dont know if your interested. This friday i will be driving from greenville, nc down 95 to florida to pick up a bike near orlando. Im going to be going down unloaded and if you throw some gas money id be willing haul your bike down for you. Just shoot me a pm with your number and ill give you a call. Just throwing it out there for ya.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
This does sound fun as hell! Not trying to be that guy... But wear some good protective gear, nobody want to see you get hurt plus it gives you a little confidence to have some fun on your bike. Also get your insurance squared away before you get the bike that way in the event of an accident your covered. Other than that sounds like you got it. Stay in your comfort zone and you'll have a permanent smile.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Any $$$$ left to actually have the bike checked out by a pro? Being a noob, I assume you don't know much about bikes - and you are buying it used. Yes it has 1500 miles and looks great - but how are the break pads? shit like that... just saying, def doable trip, and Its going to be an eye opening experience. Have fun man.

·
Registered
196 Posts
definitely bring an extra gas tank, you'll laugh at how ridiculously small the gas tank is on our bikes! 1.9gallon will take you 130-140kms.... you should have fun, I did a 1200km day last summer going to calgary from vancouver! have a blast, take breaks! make sure your chain is tight-loose enough, check the oil level, make sure you can reach the gas reserve lever while sitting and driving the bike. water water water, and good luck for you butt, past 500kms, you'll be finding all sorts of position to try to un-numb your butt! haha, my favorite, legs on the front fender if cruising on the highway:bannana: if you got any question make sure to pm me ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ridenismo

Just an idea, dont know if your interested. This friday i will be driving from greenville, nc down 95 to florida to pick up a bike near orlando. Im going to be going down unloaded and if you throw some gas money id be willing haul your bike down for you. Just shoot me a pm with your number and ill give you a call. Just throwing it out there for ya.
Dude, I REALLY appreciate that you have offerd to haul my bike, but I won't be on the road until Feb 19th. Thanks a lot and have a safe trip!:thumbup:

nymoto

Any $$$$ left to actually have the bike checked out by a pro? Being a noob, I assume you don't know much about bikes - and you are buying it used. Yes it has 1500 miles and looks great - but how are the break pads? shit like that... just saying, def doable trip, and Its going to be an eye opening experience. Have fun man.
It's true that I don't know about bikes. I will definitely get the money for that. Any idea on what's a fair price for an inspection??:headscrat

retardmotard
Gas tank. got it. I'm assuming that using cheap elastic tie downs is the way to hold it in place.. and I don't think I have the skill to put my legs on the front fender, I was thinking more of padded pants that have that uncomfortable feeling, like if you were using a diaper.

Thanks to all the replies, they are very helpful:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
As you get more comfortable on it, you can stand at times (standing is natural offroad). The feeling will be akin to riding a BMX bike, and a lot more stable than you think. I usually stand some on every ride. Helps when your but gets tired.

Just try not to be standing when johnny law is around. They may take it the wrong way.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you can get a net with some bungee chords, that's the way to go, you'll see that there's some anchor near the back seat perfect to hook stuff. You'll get comfortable quickly enough, and like switch said, you'll be standing on the pedals :) even more if it's your first ride, your butt ain't ready for that yet ahha!! wear comfortable clothes!

You might wanna wear a full face if it's a long run, the motocross helmet with goggles is fine for city driving, but it tends to push on your neck on long rides! if it's cold, don't forget a scarff, you'll thank me.

good luck, and most important, Have a bllast!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts