SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am looking into purchasing a 01 Wr 426 and was wondering if Wr's are easily made street legal ? I am from NC found the bike on craigslist Im eager to get my first Sumo but want to make sure I do not get ahead of myself and get something that I cant possibly be on the road with . Any help is appreciated guys I just need some info on the process of getting it legal and The $ I may have to put into it to do so . Also, Where do I need to start if I buy the bike ? How do I get it inspected/titled do I need to run VIN numbers to prove its not stolen ? I have also read that its almost impossible to to title an offroad use only bike are Wr's an exception ? Sorry for all the questions I am new to this and have no experience or know how to get a bike road legal besides the obvious accesories like tailight, horn, mirrors etc. Just getting it legal is the problem . Thanks for any input or advice you guys can give me :thumbup: (The bike currently has no paperwork I just need to know where to begin)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in WNC and my buddy was able to title his honda 650. it took awhile to figure out but what he found out was you can go to the tag office and your file for a inbalment title ( can't really remember what it is called but its something close to that). it gets sent out and its a lengthy processes but it worked. tomorrow ill ask him about the details again and let ya know

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its borderline impossible to register a bike in NC, with that being said. See if the owner has the MSO
(manufactures certificate of origin) If so, see if it says "off road only" on it. If it DOES NOT you MIGHT be able to get it registered by doing a mountain of paperwork and countless trips to the tag office, If it does say "off road only" your screwed on getting it legal in NC and might be able to go to another state if you know someone that lives there. Probably by far the easiest and cheapest thing to do is buy a already titled frame, swap your shit on it and ride:bannana:.

side note: You can do a bonded title and iv heard that it works but it can take like 6mo and is COSTLY.

Side note #2. I see you said (The bike currently has no paperwork I just need to know where to begin). If thats the case its not looking good, You might be able to get a replacement MSO from the yammi dealer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its borderline impossible to register a bike in NC, with that being said. See if the owner has the MSO
(manufactures certificate of origin) If so, see if it says "off road only" on it. If it DOES NOT you MIGHT be able to get it registered by doing a mountain of paperwork and countless trips to the tag office, If it does say "off road only" your screwed on getting it legal in NC and might be able to go to another state if you know someone that lives there. Probably by far the easiest and cheapest thing to do is buy a already titled frame, swap your shit on it and ride:bannana:.

side note: You can do a bonded title and iv heard that it works but it can take like 6mo and is COSTLY.

Side note #2. I see you said (The bike currently has no paperwork I just need to know where to begin). If thats the case its not looking good, You might be able to get a replacement MSO from the yammi dealer.

I learned alot when trying to get a title for a n old suzuki. Rather than trying to get a street title. take all the off road only stickers off. Put street tires on it. Get it titled as a custom motorcycle. It will have to be inspected by a DMV officer for roadworthiness. It's basicly the same process as for a custom chopper or whatever. Make sure you don't have to get a bonded title. It's a few hundred dollars you don't get back, and takes about 6 months to get the title.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I learned alot when trying to get a title for a n old suzuki. Rather than trying to get a street title. take all the off road only stickers off. Put street tires on it. Get it titled as a custom motorcycle. It will have to be inspected by a DMV officer for roadworthiness. It's basicly the same process as for a custom chopper or whatever. Make sure you don't have to get a bonded title. It's a few hundred dollars you don't get back, and takes about 6 months to get the title.
I talked to the DMV inspector awhile back and was told that if I brought a bike to be inspected as a custom motorcycle and it even remotely resembled a factory bike I would be denied.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I talked to the DMV inspector awhile back and was told that if I brought a bike to be inspected as a custom motorcycle and it even remotely resembled a factory bike I would be denied.
Does a dirtbike with lights and maybe customized plastics count? The guy here in winston liscence and theft bureu has always worked with me. He told me in vague terms, take it apart, paint it put together with a few custom parts , and call it a custom bike. Maybe you should call them and ask. Any DMV's approval will do right. There has to be a way to make it custom without changing the frame or basic structure of the bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does a dirtbike with lights and maybe customized plastics count? The guy here in winston liscence and theft bureu has always worked with me. He told me in vague terms, take it apart, paint it put together with a few custom parts , and call it a custom bike. Maybe you should call them and ask. Any DMV's approval will do right. There has to be a way to make it custom without changing the frame or basic structure of the bike.
Well they issue a new vin number when you do the custom bike route and you would have to remove the vin off the frame and that would be a BIG no no.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buy a KTM or Aprillia supermoto and save yourself the trouble that's what I plan on doing when the wheels fall off my honda. Also I work around bikes and have some inside info about a beta dealer opening soon in the triad area. Bone stock beta 520rs does 105 mph. Cost is 8 or 9K.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I bought a 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R from Virginia and went through NC DMv easily. Lots of street titled bikes in adjoining states. Watch Craigslist and classifieds here on SMJ. Unless you just love the bike or get it free,it's not worth the hassle. KTMs come with a MSO that doesn't say Off Road only and usually pass through DMV easily. Side note,if you buy bike from outside NC you do not have to get inspected the first year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys I believe It may be in my best interest to wait it out, maybe get some more cash to get something already titled . Sounds like its either hit or miss getting it legal but ill just be patient and find me something else plus that bike is a little old :anim_peep: I'd like something newer and with an aluminum frame :D The reason I was wondering the bike looks to be in good condition the guy was aking 1500 but I was gonna try and talk him down a bit :rolleyes: But I think if I just be patient it will pay off :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys I believe It may be in my best interest to wait it out, maybe get some more cash to get something already titled . Sounds like its either hit or miss getting it legal but ill just be patient and find me something else plus that bike is a little old :anim_peep: I'd like something newer and with an aluminum frame :D The reason I was wondering the bike looks to be in good condition the guy was aking 1500 but I was gonna try and talk him down a bit :rolleyes: But I think if I just be patient it will pay off :thumbup:
Watch Ohio CL.... I've seen several wr426s street legal and slightly more than that price.

·
Registered
132 Posts
what do you think its worth its a 96,pro circiut head pipe fmf silencer, flywheel weight. excel rims, avon sumo tires....it will take bout 500 $ to get it fixed correctly

·
Registered
132 Posts
i was thinkn closer to 3500 with a new top end its a 4000 bike ....i jus traded a 4000 dollar bike for this 500 bout six months ago

1 - 19 of 19 Posts