SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. :hello:I've been lurking rudely on here for a little while and I figured I'd better give a formal introduction. I'm new to the super moto scene so some of my comments and posts will probably be n00b related. I've been riding since I was 7 and I'm 28 now. I've owned a few bikes; '83 xr 80, '95 yzf 600, '98 R1, '05 R6, '86 500 Interceptor, and my current love/hate relationship is an '06 Husky smr 450. Been road racing for the last couple years with CCS in the midwest region and have only been at Road America and Blackhawk Farms. I kinda jumped in head first to the super moto scene with the 450. I'm hoping to get some track time at Shawano, RA, and DCTC in Minnesota. I'm not use to a bike needing so much attention after being seasoned with japanese bikes. However, I've said it once and I'll say it again; its the most fun I've had on a bike since I was a kid. Damn I love this thing. I've found a lot of great info on these boards while I was lurking. This is a great board.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was at the ccs races at Road America a couple of weekends ago (4th July) and went to talk to some SM guys at the motard/kart track. Was that any of you guys?

·
Registered
34 Posts
lol. YZFkneedragger- I live in La Crosse Wi- I about near chased down someone on a Honda coming out of the intersection of MainST Ona and 35....You definitely have a cousin Sumo around here. (not me...however. I'm just a granny on wheels.)

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=57463

And yeah, this a nice forum. Very active, and people seem to write in complete sentences rather than text/IM gibberish. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ha, another newb in wi, geez
Saw one listed f-s on Craig's list by someone in West Salem WI. I thought it was overpriced, but, I'm not sure if they'd done anything to it. Not your side of the state. I saw another SM listed f-s up near Appleton or Green Bay.That one was race set up, I believe.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thats friggen cool. I just seen a kid on a DRZ making a u-turn a block from my house tonight also...kinda cool. So what do you ride? I have a buddy who live on the island that has an 06 510. Besides him I see random DRZs around town but never talked to anyone. I know there is a XR650 SM running around town. He took it to the speedway drags for s&s' 50th.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well thats friggen cool. I just seen a kid on a DRZ making a u-turn a block from my house tonight also...kinda cool. So what do you ride? I have a buddy who live on the island that has an 06 510. Besides him I see random DRZs around town but never talked to anyone. I know there is a XR650 SM running around town. He took it to the speedway drags for s&s' 50th.
I'm embarrassed to say! I'm driving a dr200SE (Suzuki) 90 miles round trip to Arcadia as much as I can! I have to pedal hard up that big hill, but with a little leg, a tail wind, and WOT I can squeek out 55 up the steepest of it. I'm sure to get killed!!! I test road the drz400sm and an sv650 in May... I feel so much more at home on a dirtbike, so the drz was perfect. I liked the sv- just a little scared of it. I had a master plan to keep the DR, buy a used sv, then trade up to the sm. You know, a corral.
The truth is, I'm new purchase broke until Dec. There's a couple of salesmen who are a little miffed at me. Lol.

Is the speedway doing bike drag races??? Or was that just for the S&S thing? I got stuck selling beer tickets for show choir two nights. We finally went down and ogled bikes on Sunday, but the crowds and street bikes were much thinner. I shot about 500 photos of little doodaddy things on bikes. My avatar is actually from a bike I saw on the street at the S&S. The end pipe actually revolves.

Anyway, I'm hijacking your thread. I'll be taking the beginner and novice classes this fall at Elkhart. Hoping to convert my TTR to a mini-sumo (just for learning kicks with my daughter) and then...we'll see.

Did you race at Elkhart last week? Anyway, I return your thread to you. So nice to meet someone from home right away!:clap:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They run the cycle races every month at the speedway. I actually took home the trophy on my race bike (r6) last year. They got a little nervous when I was dragging my knee around turn 1 and 2. lmfao. They told me to quit it. haha Anyway, no I didn't race at Elkhart. I was the wagon..lol I sold my race bike to my buddy so I hauled the bike, him, gear and all other necessities up there. When I was wondering around I checked out the SM track.

so do you drive to Arcadia to go to Ashley?

·
Registered
34 Posts
waycool yzf-k-d. I'm so envious.

I'm sooo green/new to all of this and am running out of lifespan!! I've looked at Superbike school in Cali- probably a year or two down the road for me, just for kicks because they've got the training wheels so you can really lay it down in the corners! I suppose poking along at 15 mph they'll have to weight it to get it to lay over. Anyway, my plan is the SM classes, a Danny Walker, and lots of parking lots. (Wheelie school too, lol. They just raised the entrance requirements on that. ha ha ha ha. I guess they had enough yayhoos come through it was out of necessity.) My preference initially was for dirt, but I just don't have time enough to get to it right now. I don't have skills enough for anything just yet, just a really big daydream just now. That's never really stopped me in the past however.

Yes, Ashley.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shawano has a Mini national race in 2 weeks and will have a big bike class too!
Shawano also has Two Wheel Tuesdays: Track is open from 10am until 7pm. $20 for members, $45 for non-members. Seems like a smokin' deal, if only I could get up there on a weekday.

I will definitely be there to see Round 5 of the AMA SM Champ series on Sunday, August 24th. Should be a good show.

Haven't done a track day yet, but I did luck into a dozen laps in on the Road America SM/kart track last year - what a blast!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts