SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the 2011 SM-630 on the 8th of January. It was a long and thought out decision but in the end the 630 just seemed to be an overall more refined/improved machine so I thought it was worth the extra money compared to a used 610.

Honestly up until this point I've been pretty happy with it. I've played around some doing a little wheelie here and there but really I've been pretty easy on it while somewhat breaking it in.

After my second oil change I started to play a little more. I was blown away watching the people around me zip along and once we stopped I had a look and realized holy crap is it geared tall. Everyone on a 610 was sporting 15/45 sprockets and the 630 stock was 15/38. Wow, no wonder you guys can pop wheelies and overall just accelerate harder than I can. The 630 is geared to do a million miles an hour but doesn't have the HP to get there...

So, with a stroke of luck a local shop had a 43T sprocket in stock and I thought that would be just about perfect. New gold link chain for the sessy factor and we're rock'in and roll'in now.

Wrong...

Me and two of my buddies (Heavily mod'ed 610 and KTM 625) went for a scoot yesterday and it was game on for the 630. No more sally'in it around. But to my dismay sally mode is all the 630 has... The straw that broke the camels back was this sharp up hill turn to an up hill straight away. My buddy on the KTM loft the front end damn near the way up the hill... My jaw dropped, there is absolutely, no way, NO WAY, the 630 could do it, even with the new gearing.

Long story short we made it back down to a little dead end road and we took turns on each others bikes playing around. Nobody believed me that the 630 was a gutless pile; that is until they rode it... 3 out of 3 confirm somethings not right... 2nd gear wheelies are damn near impossible. It just simply can not do it. Roll on power, just isn't there. I was very impressed with the KTM and 610, just a tiny slip-u-the clutch and it comes right up in 2nd and roll on the throttle and you're pulling away from the 630 in any gear.

Here are some of my disappointments. The bar graph showing your revs goes from the bottom to the top of the LCD but it chickens out 3/4 of the way to the top and the limiter kicks in. Trip 1 doesn't work. Haven't been able to get the damn thing to log a single tenth of a mile. Trip 2 works and so does everything else so wtf? I'm pretty sure the 630 is supposed to be a motard, its not. Its more like the size of a KLR with the power of a wr250. It comes geared so tall with the 38T sprocket that it lugs in first. The OEM chain block/roller is a joke. The new radial mount caliper screws me out of being able to put TE dirt wheels on it for that occasional weekend I wana go put through the woods. And I swear to gawd if one more part falls off I'm going to get a blue mr. turtle swiming pool full of red locktite and drop the whole damn bike into it...

The plus side I guess would be the brakes work fantastic and the rides smooth but i'm pretty sure I read that on a riding lawn mower brochure at some point too...

I can't express enough my disappointment with the 630's power delivery. Its a sad and pathetic machine compared to the KTM 625 I was on. I know its not apples to apples but really? The 630 was supposed to have more power and be better than the 610's???

I'm going to get back in touch with the dealer and ask if there is something funny going on with it. My buddy JonXX thinks it may still be in a break-in map. That could very well be. And if not a break-in just a different map. Maybe its not like the 610 and when all the emissions junk is taken off and O2 sensor pulled it sets its self to sally mode instead of the race mode that we think its in.

Anyway, just had to share my thoughts on the machine. If you're thinking about buying one for use as a motard, I recommend you reconsider your options...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love mine,but like you said rolling wheelies are not goin to happen,dude we need to figure this out,i haven't ordered any new gearing stuff,but i know one thing put a 14 tooth up front and a 48 or 50 in the rear like motocross bikes have and you'll be out wheelieing your buddys ktm.we need to figure out a crazy gearing that works.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
if your bike is bone stock except for the gearing you need to look no further.

until you've done a couple mods like pipes and get the EFI working right it'll be a gutless pig, period.

same story with the older 610's, same deal still aplies with the new 630, not to mention a whole lot of other bikes as well. know of a couple guys that made the switch to a 630, haven't heard anyone complain yet once they got it dailed in.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Are any of you running exhaust at all? If not, that's what needs to be done. All of the Huskys are restricted in the exhaust department. Being that this is a new model, it will take some time for the exhaust manufacturers to come out with something. Husky special parts has a setup for the 630. You also have to take into consideration that the 630 does weigh more than the 610. And by the looks of it, a lot is in the exhaust.
Also, how many miles do you have on the bike? Is it even broke in yet?

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
come on poeple chime in here :hmmm:
I read in one of my motorcycle magazines that the Husky SM630 dyno'd at 45 hp on their dyno, which was below what the SM610's hp was and they weight more. I thought they were supposed to have a 20 percent increase in hp, unless that was all hype. I hope you get this sorted out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've got about 1000'ish miles on it and I'm 90% sure the dealer put the resistor in but I'll go check. After all the other things that have fallen off the bike I wouldn't be surprised if a little resistor fell off too... (yeah yeah yeah if its there I'm sure its taped over)

I haven't done any exhaust or FI stuff yet. But It's really hard to believe that its going to make that much of a difference. Without a doubt It'll be better, but there's only so much it'll do not to mention it'll cost a butt load of cash on top of an already spendy purchase... I'm just suffering from a severe case of buyers remorse at the moment...

Stock 2011 SM 630 for $8500
or
A used KTM or DRZ leaving at least $4,000 left over for wheels, exhaust, suspension and whatever the hell else you could possibly want...

I'll have a 14T sprocket soon which will put me at 14/43 from 15/38. My top speed is only going to be 90mph (100mph now with 15/43) at least then it'll wheelie... Kinda... But dear god, 1st gear is going to be nearly worthless, which puts your cruising around the neighborhood in 3rd or 4th and the freeway pin'd in 6th...

I've decided I need to find someone in the area that can get me in for a dyno run. The stock 630 is supposed to have more poop than the 610 and like you guys said I'm starting to think its been a bunch of talk. I want to see numbers... I'll post the results when I get them.

Also after talking with the dealer I'm torn between dumping the cash on a full ti Leo system or fab'in a 2 into 1 FMF system with a power commander/auto tune...

Either way I'm going to have to dip into the "Eric's building a track bike" fund I've pretty much spent already :headscrat Anyone need some CAD work done? I accept paypal, ti leo systems or power commander modules :thumbup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you haven't replaced the exhaust yet, that is going to bring the seat of pants horse power/torque up a lot. I've have the 610, with the power up kit and have switched back and forth with the stock exhaust and my Leo Vince and the power difference is immediately noticeable. I can even notice a pretty significant hit to the power when I put in the spark arrestor set up for the Leo Vince. It may not wake your bike up like the older bikes, but it will make a difference.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got about 1000'ish miles on it and I'm 90% sure the dealer put the resistor in but I'll go check. After all the other things that have fallen off the bike I wouldn't be surprised if a little resistor fell off too... (yeah yeah yeah if its there I'm sure its taped over)
Before you do anything else you should ensure that this is done. Otherwise you are just pissing in the wind. Take a photo of it and post it up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Take a photo of it and post it up.
Tada :thumbup:

The resistor is there and on the green/red and Brown/white wires. I'm going to pull that plug and make sure its soldered in solid and making a good connection. Should notice the difference right away without it if its working. This is one of those I can see it there but I cant tell you with 100% confidence that its working. Standby...

Power up kit
derestrict the airbox
All the 610 guys told me to do the power up kit right away but to be honest I'm not even sure what that means. If I remember right the dealer said there really isn't much of a power up kit you can do on the 630. This is the first time I've even heard of a "black box" replacement ECU... I did notice they were talking specifically about bikes in Europe and Australia, is the story still the same here in the US?

I'll pull the airbox apart and liberate my machine from said dastardly restriction. That should be easy enough to do. I had an SV 650 that had a similar issue as it just couldn't breath. Made a difference once the airbox was opened up a bit.

Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it. I'll post some pre mod (besides the gearing) dyno numbers as soon as I can get them. So far the soonest I could get it in is nearly a month from now... And thats just unacceptable...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Stock 2011 SM630 Dyno Charts

So I took the husky down to a local shop and had them do a base run dyno so I'd know where it used to be before I started monkey'in around with it.

Like Jon said, wow... I was really surprised...

HP/Torque - Pretty typical chart 40HP and 30ft/lbs of torque

HP/AirFuel - Again pretty typical chart but after about 20% throttle its really lean. Lean enough Ron urged me not to do any airbox mods until you can fatten it up some. Giving it even more air would push it into scary lean.

So... With that little bit of knowledge I then went to Salem to hang out with some buddies and pick up my new 14T front sprocket that came in. This'll put me at 14/43 gearing from 15/38...

Then we started to talk about the dyno charts and that doing a full system would really help and blah blah blah. You guys know how it goes. Long story short and painful for my wallet; they had a full ti leo in stock. It's as if gawd said you must buy an exhaust and who am I to argue?

I'm going to start looking into power commanders and an auto tune. I know the 630 module isn't available yet but maybe I can get some dynojet guys to work with me a little...

I'm going to do a lot of stuff and chances are most of it will be on the HD GoPro to post later. I want to weigh both OEM and the Ti system and figure out how much weight I'm dropping then I want a before and after sound check. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Now your on the right track. Yes, it is hard on the wallet, but shit it's only $, right?:lol: The fueling is the issue. It's so damn lean and choked up to make emissions is the problem. Can you get an I-beat setup for this bike? I think that if you focus on loosing weight on the bike, you might be surprised at how quick it will get. I would look into a light battery next. I'm willing to bet you lose 12lbs in the exhaust alone.:thumbup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The plan is to put the exhaust and sprocket on and do all my documentation BS then load it up in the truck, head back down to Salem and have the dealer re-map it. I'm not sure what they use. It very well could be I-beat. I just know it'll be the only way I'd be able to get it running right with the new pipe. Then depending on what I hear back from dynojet a power commander/auto tune would be even better.

Not sure if I should create a new thread for all this stuff or just carry on with this one :headscrat

Maybe I'll be able to sweet talk an admin into renaming the thread to something like "My 2011 SM-630 Project Bike" :bowdown:

Oh and BTW, looking into these...
http://www.fullspectrumpower.com/products_pulse.html

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Haven't seen that particular one yet. There are a few different makers out there. http://www.motydesign.com/ I run the 4 cell inline pack. Has worked flawlessly for over a year now. There is quit a few guys running these on SMJ.
I am still interested to see the weight loss from the exhaust swap.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.