SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'm new to this site, so I thought I'd introduce myself and my daily driver/ toy. Last week I bought a CA plated '97 XR400. Far from street legal, I got my current sticker and bought the Baja designs dual sport kit, Acerbis front fender, Maier rear MX fender, seat cover and graphics, and misc other parts. I am still waiting to get my front fender, CRF clutch perch, and 18" front wheel.

I will be running 18" front and rear wheels and tires (still trying to find a 18x2.15 w/ 32 spokes wheel for the front). I will also be buying a new silencer soon as the stocker is pretty dented up.
What do you think?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome!

One option to get you going would be to go the sportsman route using your stock rims and sumo type rubber.

It's a very popular way to go for newbees and it gets you off of those knobbies when running the street.

Do a search on here on sportsman tires and see what suggestions you can come up with.

See Ya / SIRR1

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats a nice thumper you've got there. If you're going to replace the exhaust why not go for an under-seat. That would look cool!! I like the seat cover and graphics too!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sirr1, I've been trying to avoid that because I know I will end up keeping the bigger front wheel too long. But I think you're right.

T burson, Thanks! I've never seen an underseat on an XR, that would be pretty sweet. I just put my front fender on last night and stiffened up my suspension a bit for the street.

·
Registered
136 Posts
throw some f3 wheels on it and call it done. No need to get crazy with it. just build it to have fun on the street. good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here is how she sits as of last night (crappy pic) but I'll get more tonight.

Exhaust will be next.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks nice. What tires are you going to run? I just picked up a set of F3 wheels on Friday. I pulled the bearings and spacers out, now its just time to take some measurements and find a machinist. Anybody ever done the conversion before? I am fitting them to a 2000 XR650L.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kept the 18" rear wheel and had my front hub laced to a 18" wheel as well.
The tires are Avon road riders, and the sizes are 110/80 18 front and 120/80 18 rear.

Though I'll get the 130/80 18 rear once these tires are worn as there is plenty of room in the swing arm for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.

I've been riding it everyday to work (15 miles each way) and its fantastic.

Right now I am running 16/45 sprockets but I think I will put the 43 rear on to drop the RPM's just a little more. It cruises at 70mph no problem, at 75-78 mph its revving too high for my taste. Other than poor fuel economy I have no complaints - so far.

I also just ordered my 320mm front rotor and caliper relocation bracket, I'll let you know the difference I fell in stopping power in about a week.

Cruising around town is great, though I now see the difference in tire options between the 17" wheel and the 18". The bike will spin the rear wheel before looping out from a dead stop. I know I can drop the air pressure a bit to get better traction, but I havn't had any issues yet with grip (that weren't on purpose).

T

·
Registered
10 Posts
I kept the 18" rear wheel and had my front hub laced to a 18" wheel as well.
The tires are Avon road riders, and the sizes are 110/80 18 front and 120/80 18 rear.

Though I'll get the 130/80 18 rear once these tires are worn as there is plenty of room in the swing arm for it.
Try a 140.
I'm running a 140/18 Scorpion rear,with no probs :thumbup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wouldn't go for a 140... It will fit fine, but will actually be narrower than a 130 because the borders of the tire will just be pulled in further to make contact with the sides of the rim... I just took my 140/70/18 in today to get my new 130/70/18 put on..

I had 1/2" chickenstrips on either side even after full lean while scraping the footpegs....

Tires are harder to find, but def. are out there... I previously had a IRC Roadwinner and just went with a Michelin pilot activ.... $70-90... not too bad!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Alrighty.. I'm going to take that back...

I got my wheel and tire back today and i am super disappointed with the 130... It is considerably narrower than the 140 was and has just as much cupping on the side...

I will def. be going back to the 140 next tire, even though it just barely is able to fit the rim (if you go with a 70 sidewall)...

Sorry for the previous mis-info... That is just what everyone told me to do to make better use of width of the rubber : (

1 - 14 of 14 Posts