SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked her up this morning. 2002 CR 250R AF, crank bearing went and the bike has sat for almost a year. The PO took the bike to a shop which took the head off and the clutch out, then they told him the crank bearing was bad and it was gonna cost him $2400 to fix it!!!!!!!!! Needless to say I got the bike for a great price with the title:bannana:

heres the rest of the pics

http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt35/craigs449/10-27-10 Project 4 Stroke Killer/

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
nice buy... i love basket cases.. just got mine running yesterday to be exact.. so is that a 500 stuffed in a 250 or just an alum. framed 250 ??? :headscrat

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice buy... i love basket cases.. just got mine running yesterday to be exact.. so is that a 500 stuffed in a 250 or just an alum. framed 250 ??? :headscrat
It is a 2002 CR 250R AF. Nice bike from what I have read. Getting prices for all the parts now. Might as well put a new crank, bearings, oil seals, clutch pack, and new piston in there since I will have it all apart. Looks like the parts will be right around $500.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Current state of the build....or re-build I guess:D Ordered the parts last night.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Nice project Craig, I love the AF Hondas, being a two smoke makes it that much better.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Think about getting a Wiseco crank kit....it comes with main bearings, seals && gaskets. I put one in my YZ250 and its been great. That clutch basket is trash.

Tell Becky & Mike at Heysers Lumpy said hi! ....thats where my nick name Lumpy came from.....Im a MD City boy.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think about getting a Wiseco crank kit....it comes with main bearings, seals && gaskets. I put one in my YZ250 and its been great. That clutch basket is trash.

Tell Becky & Mike at Heysers Lumpy said hi! ....thats where my nick name Lumpy came from.....Im a MD City boy.
I ordered all OEM parts from hondaparts-direct.com. I heard nothing but bad stuff about the Wiseco cranks on TT. Apparently they are sourced from China and are known to have serious quality control issues. Their pistons,on the other hand,are gold standard:thumbup:

I figured it ran well for eight years with OEM parts,Ican only hope it will run for another 8 with replacement OEM parts.

I am gonna try filing down damaged clutch basket for now....a new one is like $300!!!!

BTW.....Lumpy, did you know that The Dirt Shop on Rte1 closed up shop?

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Lookin good. Except that clutch basket. Like Eagledriver said dont try and file it...

If it were just barely worn you could try it but this one is too far gone!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Buying a new one would break my "budget build":D Allthe used ones I found on e-bay looked just as worn!

Are you guys saying that filing down the damage may cause part of the clutch basket to break off? I wouldn't file them completely down, just smooth it out a bit. In case I did not mention before, I don't think the trans oil was EVER changed.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Buying a new one would break my "budget build":D Allthe used ones I found on e-bay looked just as worn!

Are you guys saying that filing down the damage may cause part of the clutch basket to break off? I wouldn't file them completely down, just smooth it out a bit. In case I did not mention before, I don't think the trans oil was EVER changed.
Id rather see you save up for it then file that one...It would be a disaster waiting to happen....Like the saying goes do it right or just dont do it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i filed my yz clutch basket... worked a treat, its an 81 and its got the nicest feeling clutch out of all my bikes drz included :D youd have to be giving it some serious dogging to break it id say...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i filed my yz clutch basket... worked a treat, its an 81 and its got the nicest feeling clutch out of all my bikes drz included :D youd have to be giving it some serious dogging to break it id say...
that's what i was thinking.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You would have to file down a LOT to get those edges close to smooth, but then you'd be taking so much material off that the fingers fo the basket would be week and there would be a lot of room between them for the clutch plates to move around more than they should

BTW, I found this :lol:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools/Shop&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=17167
yeah buddy.....that's how i got the cases apart. i broke down and bought one. there was no way that i was getting themapart without that tool! although,i found it on e-bay for $56.99 with free shipping...:D

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
yeah buddy.....that's how i got the cases apart. i broke down and bought one. there was no way that i was getting themapart without that tool! although,i found it on e-bay for $56.99 with free shipping...:D
Good! Cuz I thought you said you spent $120. Thats why I posted a link to a cheap one :lol:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got some OEM parts the other day......the dog, "Hershey" was not impressed! I wound up buying a gently used clutch basket off E-bay for around $85, still waiting for that to come in.....

Started putting the trans in and finally got it in there right....so I thought....I had put the countershaft shift forks rod in upside down and it did not seat all the way in the right side case, I did not notice it until I started pulling the cases together, then the little cap part of the left crank case popped off! Man, was I pissed! My neighbor said it's an easy weld and he will be getting to it in the next few days:headshake

1 - 20 of 86 Posts