157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08`smc
akra cover, foam filter, scorpion exhaust
vortex
14000 miles odo,do not eat oil.
2,5k miles ago checked valves, and they were ok
16x42 gearing
Recently (around month-two), I began to notice that the reduced power. it may seem to me that, but top speed is also reduced.
118-120 m \ h -> 100 m \ h
have any tips?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil change recently?
Did you change it?
My 511had 10 Oz to much was starving for air. Causing less fuel to be injected...
:)
Yes, every 2.5k miles, last - 500 miles ago normal level always.
air ok - clean my airfilter every 700 miles..
less fuel? problem with ecu (vortex)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil change recently?
Did you change it?
My 511had 10 Oz to much was starving for air. Causing less fuel to be injected...
:)
Yes, every 2.5k miles, last - 500 miles ago normal level always.
air - clean my airfilter every 700 miles.. (now time to clean)
less fuel? problem with ecu (vortex)?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like it could possibly be a fuel delivery related issue.

If it were me, I would start by replacing the fuel filter & cleaning the injector and go from there to see what those results get you first.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it could possibly be a fuel delivery related issue.

If it were me, I would start by replacing the fuel filter & cleaning the injector and go from there to see what those results get you first.
yesterday replaced the fuel filter. He was dirty and ink flowing :)
also found a bent pipe near fuel pump.
already changed for new pipe, I hope the pump itself is ok.
Injector cleaning was nothing, so do not do it.
If after replace the filter and hose situation will not improve, I will do next.
I want to check today

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi.
Im getting my 08 smc 690 the day after tomorrow, and i have read alot about it and found out that some SCM's have problems with the Fuel injection. you mig need to go to an KTM authorized mech to get it fixed.. also you could try the green wire mod wich gives some extra rpm's you can find a guide in here if you search for it.

Good luck!

-Oliver

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, thank you for tips.

Hi.
Im getting my 08 smc 690 the day after tomorrow, and i have read alot about it and found out that some SCM's have problems with the Fuel injection. you mig need to go to an KTM authorized mech to get it fixed.. also you could try the green wire mod wich gives some extra rpm's you can find a guide in here if you search for it.
Good luck!
-Oliver
Oliver, can you concretize, what kind of problem with injection?
no, overRPM not needed :) 14,000 miles he flew like crazy, hope it will fly farther.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guys, thank you for tips.

Oliver, can you concretize, what kind of problem with injection?
no, overRPM not needed :) 14,000 miles he flew like crazy, hope it will fly farther.
Yeah ill try, but im not an expert (haven't got mine yet) but it had made some problems with stalling and poor running if any while idling (sorry if im not saying it correct - bad english - hope you understand). the green wire mod is a limiter the factory puts on the engine can take it with no problems :)

Hope it was any help.

Oliver

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stalled on road to work.
thinking out of gas - came to a gas station, filled a full tank.
starts and stalls after a short time again. again and again. or no start.
allways start after the ignition is switched 1-2-3 times to ON and fuel pump creates a pressure in the line.
if ignition switched to ON only one time - 99% no start.
think about bent fuel hose inside. or the fuel pump does not give the normal pressure and need to be replace. (again??!!!!)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saturday found the problem. (+) wire of the ignition coil broke. was not visible. spark disappeared, injector pours, the spark plug is wet.
Clem has replaced the wire and all was in order.
washed injector, replaced fuel filter.
motorcycle accelerates fine, but the maximum speed is not enough in my opinion :(

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Glad you found the problem -->

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Glad you found the problem -->
thank you.
not all..the maximum speed is lower than it should be.
6000-6500 rpm on the top gear, no further accelerates, no more rpm. on the lower gear 1-2-3-4 all is ok, then this is not elecrical problem.
problem with air filter? hmm.. just cleaned my foam filter few days ago as usual.
fuel filter? few days ago replaced, injector cleaned, keihin module cleaned. no changes. the problem persists.

maybe fuel pump again? need pressure check :hmmm:

·
Registered
295 Posts
thank you.
not all..the maximum speed is lower than it should be.
6000-6500 rpm on the top gear, no further accelerates, no more rpm. on the lower gear 1-2-3-4 all is ok, then this is not elecrical problem.
problem with air filter? hmm.. just cleaned my foam filter few days ago as usual.
fuel filter? few days ago replaced, injector cleaned, keihin module cleaned. no changes. the problem persists.

maybe fuel pump again? need pressure check :hmmm:
Yes check the fuel pump pressure... Had to replace mine because of similar symptoms.

You've already done everything else that I would have suggested to look at.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes check the fuel pump pressure... Had to replace mine because of similar symptoms.

eh..
may it be valves? valves cheked on 17k km on odometer, but all in ok, no works needed.
now 22k km, maybe now need to check
sure, fuel pump i will check also.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
checked.
fuel pump-fuel filter -pressure regulator-manometer-injector. just in fuel line -3.25-3.3 bar
then removed from bike and checked:
fuel pump-fuel filter-manometer. directly to manometer, without pressure regulator and dropping fuel back. 3.5-3.6 bar maximum.
fuel pump-fuel filter -pressure regulator - 3.25-3.3 bar

think it's not much, considering that the bike with Vortex eats much more gasoline.
im think about replace fuel pump, but which product to choose? The original is very expensive. probably better to use a car fuel pump?

or should opt out of these two?
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ca-cycleworks-ktm-690-fuel-pump-upgrade
http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-8927688-new-30mm-intank-efi-fuel-pump-ktm-690-2008-2010.html

·
Registered
859 Posts
sorry you are still having issues. some other possible ideas for your high load/high RPM problem

injector spray pattern (you say not dirty, but hard to tell by sight sometimes?)
air leaks (around intake)
plugged up breather box/hose (not venting crankcase pressure easily)
MAP sensor
spark plug tip gap & condition
good battery/charging system

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry you are still having issues. some other possible ideas for your high load/high RPM problem

injector spray pattern (you say not dirty, but hard to tell by sight sometimes?)
air leaks (around intake)
plugged up breather box/hose (not venting crankcase pressure easily)
MAP sensor
spark plug tip gap & condition
good battery/charging system
thank you, but from october to cold and now too snowy on roads ;) extra 21\19 wheels needed!
injector had removed from bike and cleaned extra. no leaks, work fine,evenly sprayed.
air leaks checked - all screws and сlamps are checked..
breather box\nose? hose on the right side? checked, but i will check again.
map sensor? how i can check this thing?
spark plug has been changed 5k ago without symptom. ill tryed put old spark - the same, good start. were minor problems. ignition coil wire is broken. I changed it and everything was fine.
battery never changed, good condition i think. never been discharged. my bike 08, but buyed new from dealer in april `09.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts