SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,I am a salesman at a motorcycle shop here in Canada.I currently own a 2007 gsxr 750 which I love...I am thinking about an 06ktm 990 sm.My style of riding is street mainy around town but I do like the occaisonal longer trip at higher speeds (sweepers).I also love to do stand up wheelies all day long and am learning rolling stoppies :)I was wondering if this bike would be a good choice for my style of riding.I can test ride it it is a new model even though it's an 06.I am just worried that I will not be able to do my stand up wheelies lol even though it should.I only ever see ppl doing sit down wheelies.I know my passion for riding is now carving the corners tight or sweepers.What do you guys think?I can wait till next year and get the 690 duke or w/e else but I kinda want to get this one now.Post up all your answers love to hear from you ex sportbikers and sumo riders alike.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
V-Twin = TORQUE. It will Mono better than your GSXR. Its a perfect bike for what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
While I don't have a 990SM, I have a 990 Superduke which is similar and I can assure you will have more fun on the SM than on the GIXXER. I haven't owned a race replica bike in a long time, simply because I find riding them on the streets to be a chore, and worse even boring. While they make great track day and race bikes, they are not great street bikes (uncomfotable, no torque, stiff suspension, etc, etc). The SM will wheelie like crazy, stop with the best of them, and best of all can be ridden at 9/10ths pace on roads that would make a race replica wince in pain (or just it's rider).

The only thing to remember is that you will be giving up some horsepower and wind protection at higher speeds, so as long as you know this going in you will love the SM. Just be sure to give it a test ride to make sure it's your kind of bike before plunking down hard earned cash.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
06 wasn't a 990 only offered an an adventure? the SM was 950 :hmmm:

but trip + wheelies + learning stoppies - ima say swap the ktm, plus its a more rare bike then a zuke 7fitty - cred son.

But BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE between a 990 adventure and a 950 SM - clarify please.:infrandom

edit: 990 superduke is not very similar at all to a 950 SM:rant:

edit2 :

2006 SM 950 carbed

2006 990 adventure

2006 Superduke 990

huge difference!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah shit it is a 950 sm,I had to check our website lol.I have only been working there 2 weeks.i am wondering now the difference between the carb and fI.Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
BUY IT!!!!!! But your license will be in jeopardy from the moment you hit the starter.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
yeah shit it is a 950 sm,I had to check our website lol.I have only been working there 2 weeks.i am wondering now the difference between the carb and fI.Thanks for the clarification.
Difference is pretty significant ( as covered in another thread )

IMHO ( disclaimer : view point of a squid that squirted 500s -> liter bikes in his day on and off the tracks )

the 950 SM is the machine it sounds like you want : travel, wheelies, reliability.

The Superduke and adventure both have travel and reliability - the SM 950 is the beast ur wheeling out of corners - you WONT get that from a supD or Advntr

All three bikes are grand - the SMR is the hooligan supreme + travel worthy - IMHO

edit: also - the SupD is DEF trip worthy - but its a superbike. The SMR will have a much more comfortable riding position --- to you purists; Yes! i can comment, I hit up Laguna Seca trips every summer for 7 years on a cbr900rr w/ strap on saddle bags and a tent i pitched at the cork screw ---- 370miles + one way, it can happen, but the monkey butt ruins you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re:dilemna

Thanks guys,I am thinking its a good change but the only thing holding me back is the carb vs efi thing.im gonna check the specs on the 07-08 to see if they are gonna come efi.I did some research and the cons over efi for a carb as far as i could see.Cold starts,elevation change,power delivery(smoothness).....Correct me if I am wrong or if you have an opionion on the carbed on since that is what is on the floor at work.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
cant comment.

First EFI bike is my current 08 SMR 690 - traded in a cbr900rr carbed (last year of cbr 9x carbs! ) for it after 7 years of owning the bike putting about 30-40k miles on it and tracking it.

Love the SMR 690. If its on the floor - why not "test ride it" ? - +10-20miles on the odo isnt going to set the price back :thumbup:

No one can tell u what to buy. Only your right wrist can ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cant comment.

Love the SMR 690. If its on the floor - why not "test ride it" ? - +10-20miles on the odo isnt going to set the price back :thumbup:QUOTE]

We wont have any till next year

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
sorry m8 - meant the 06 950SM

if its sitting there - its 2-3years overstock, why not put 10miles on it ?

( was saying i love my 08 690SMR )

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cant comment.

First EFI bike is my current 08 SMR 690 - traded in a cbr900rr carbed (last year of cbr 9x carbs! ) for it after 7 years of owning the bike putting about 30-40k miles on it and tracking it.

Love the SMR 690. If its on the floor - why not "test ride it" ? - +10-20miles on the odo isnt going to set the price back :thumbup:

No one can tell u what to buy. Only your right wrist can ;)

We dont have any till next year just an 07 990 duke

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
sorry m8 - meant the 06 950SM

if its sitting there - its 2-3years overstock, why not put 10miles on it ?

( was saying i love my 08 690SMR )

yeah im thinking thats a good idea

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought another gsxr 750 a year and a half ago. I just need a sport bike. I bought the KTM 625 SMC as a 2nd bike. They both have there pros and cons. I just love having the best of both worlds.

You really cant make a bad choice either way.

One new bike that just makes me drool is the new 690 duke...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts