SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been an SM junkie for quite a while now, had over half dozen SM's, but I took a break from the sport in 2008 cuz got too busy with needy GF, dropped her last year and now with all the free time I got I'm getting back to some much needed wrenching meditation.

Anyways, after years of having big and small KTM, Husky and Honda thumpers (4T) I decided I wanted to get a light weight fun bike rather then another commuter. More of a trailer queen. Requirements were that it still had to be California plated for being able to toss a set of sumo wheels on it and ride the Mulholland snake. After searching craigspals for weeks (great program BTW) it came down to either an 05 plated CRF250x or this 93 300exc. I was hesitant on buying such an old bike, but after research learned that for one the CA DMV would quickly yank the plates from the CRF as its newer then 03, and that KTM pretty much used the same frame geometry since early 90 till 07ish and that the bike can basically be updated to modern spec relatively easily. Plus the KTM was over a grand cheaper so I had a bit of money to toy with. Also the KTM had a top and bottom rebuild on it 4 hours ago and came with literally a whole other bike as parts (minus the frame).

But really, the main reason I went with the EXC was because here in CA having a plated 2 stroke is almost unheard of with our strict DMV laws. :gap: Plus my very first bike was a 2t and wanted one for years now. The last 2t I had was Yamaha Zuma scoot with a 70cc polini kit so I'm not totally noob to 2t but this is my first large displacement big bike 2t.

So here it is, picked it up last friday.

Today, the update to 05 body began. I picked up an unused 05 250 exc tank from ebay:

also a new seat off an 07 XCW, also off ebay

a used set of white/orange 05 plastics, kinda was hoping for all white tail section, but that not that important right now, I'll get a new one later once everything fits proper.

OEM white graphics kit for 05 from KTM Hutt

OEM Airbox covers also from KTM Hutt to complate the look. Sorry, I dont have pics for that.

The bike already came with 08 style headlights, but its missing a blinker kit. I need one incase I get stopped by the fuzz...

So, as the parts start arrivingin I'll update this thread on how the conversion is comming along.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So most of the parts came in, but KTM cyclehutt is lagging on my airbox covers and graphics. Also picked up a set of oem KTM supermoto wheels with 4.25" rears, I was afraid that since the bike is a 93 it wouldn't fit the 5", but after mounting the rear wheel, it looks like it woulda fit with some mind chain bite.

The plastics are just placed on the bike, for mock up. Nothing is bolted down yet, might have to drill a few new hold and cut off some old mounting tabs. Should get to that tomorrow since its too late here to be drilling.

Last thing to make it all come together is to have some custom wheel bearing spacers made since the front wheel uses a 26mm axle and my forks take 17mm. Eventually will upgrade the forks and tripples to more modern but I just wanna ride this thing already. I got a machienist lined up for either tomorrow or beginning of next week to mill the spacers for me.

heres how it stands as of right now:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, we have tons of hill here in Hollywood but no OHV park for like 60-70miles. So plated bike will definatly get me loopholed. Not really looking to ride this thing on the street much, but I might take it down the block to get a pack of smokes. :D

I bolted most of the plastics down today and I was very suprised how well everything fit. Tank slid right on after cutting off the original talk's mounting tab, and subframe only needed minor mods to have the plastics and the seats bolt to it.

Try that with a sportbike! make a 93 gixxer look like an 07, not happening :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cool stuff. I have a '07 300 EXC that I will be playing around with when my 'kit' arrives.

Will be watching this thread with great interest :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
dude I have a cali plated 99 cr250sm my buddy has a cali plated 97 cr500sm and my other friend has a 91 KDX 250sm and we are all within 20 minutes of hollywood!! Are you down to get 4 smokers on the street??? sweet wagon too

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, that's my tow rig and daily, its only an E320 (that body never came in E55 wagon in the US) but I "beefed" it up with some period correct wheels and euro accessories.

as for the KTM, ktmcyclehutt still hasn't shipped my airbox covers, been almost 3 weeks now! Even if they ordered it straight from Austria it shoulda been here already. Plus I cant imagine KTM USA not having an 05 airbox cover in stock in the US warehouse. So I can't complete the body conversion till I have thoese in.

got the rear wheel on the bike and mocked up the front, I have a date with a machinist on friday to mill up the 26mm to 17mm adapters.

kowalski340, I keep my bike up in Lancaster at a friends house since I'll be doing most of my riding out there. Mainly at willow cart track and dirt. But I'll bring it down to LA every now and then. Do you guys ride Mullholland? Wanna set up a mini-2t ride on Latigo (Malibu) and Mulholland?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just talked to the guys and they said they are more than down to link up with you and do a 2t tard ride!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hey I have a 96 550 that I plan on doing the same thing to. Do you have any idea if I can use the 2008-2010 plastics? I have both an 08 parts bike lined up and an 05 parts bike but don't want to spend to much extra.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
btw, this is currently the status of my 93. Also I found a 99 380EXC for way too cheap and couldn't pass up buying it. I'm planning to swap the whole rear fork setup to the linkage-less of the later models, and then probably end up dropping the 380 in there too in due time, just gotta find what condition it is in. Gonna rip it apart soon.

and the 380:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got my 17mm to 26mm spacer today, wheels are on, Rejetted for sealevel, gonna take it on its maiden supermoto ride tomorrow. The chain was too long to fit my 48T sprocket I wanted to use, so I had to keep the 53T from my dirt setup, even with the knobbies, the beast wheelies in 4th with the 53T. With the SM tires... I'm going to fucking kill myself tomorrow, hahaha. Gonna take it to Latigo Canyon (Malibu), if anyone cares to join, I'll be there from noon. Look for the MB wagon with the trailer at the bottom of the hill on PCH.

One last pic and I need to catch some zzzz's now..

(crappy HTC image, gonna take some with my Canon tomorrow.)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
thats awesome!

I ran into a guy yesterday with a ktm 300 2stroke SM. Hahaha it looked about half the size of my DRZ, was blowing smoke all over the place, and sounded like a diabolical weed whacker! :arsenal

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Took it out on friday, OMFG this bike SHREDS in the canyons, its like riding a pocket bike. Everything is so effortless, coming off a 625SMC.

Only negative was that my chain was too long so I had to use the 52T sprocket which made the bike wheelie too much getting on the throttle coming out of the apex and it topped out at like 60MPH. I'll pick up a chain cutter and toss my 45T on there and go for another run this weekend.

I forgot to take the cam with me but snapped these pics on the way home on malibu canyon.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my graphics kit, but not from ktmcyclehutt, fuck that place...

now, just need to put on the white headlight mask and rear fender/sides to complete the body. Next is some functional front brakes.

if anyone is wondering, the bike is 95% a 380 not the original 300 I posted in the first post, I just used my street titled 93 frame and swapped over everything from my 380.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts