SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided to get a little tarded and bought an SM630. I love it! I've got an 09 ZX6R I'm turning into a track bike and the SM has become my commuter/weekend warrior machine. What an absolute blast its been.

Anyway, We've been going off road a lot. I put a set of Shinko 705's on and really don't like the big fat heavy front tire. I'd like to have a set of 17" super sticky street tires and a set of aggressive 21"/18" off road tires and just swap wheels depending on my mood.

Issue thus far is the front wheel. For 2011 they changed to a radial mount front caliper and I cant seem to get any answers on how a 21" wheel is going to fit. I emailed motostrano and a one line answer of sorry I cannot help you is all I got. Thanks a lot Joe :thumbup:

Hopefully there are some people in here with 2011's and want or even have done what I want to do.

·
6,598 Posts
I emailed motostrano and a one line answer of sorry I cannot help you is all I got. Thanks a lot Joe :thumbup:
so he didn't tell you what you wanted to hear and that's your attitude... nice going.

big caliper and radial mount often doesn't work with dirt wheels because the caliper rubs the spokes. largers wheels mean the spokes are at a different angle.

with that said, I have seen guys transform older 510 smr's with a radial mount, but that's no garantee it'll also work on your 630. I tried to fit dirtwheels on a ktm 525 smr once and that wouldn't work. completely depends on the bike wether or not it's possible so if someone hasn't done it on a 630 before you're not going to get a straight answer.

·
Registered
525 Posts
so he didn't tell you what you wanted to hear and that's your attitude... nice going.
It's more like, Joe brushed him off with a "Sorry I can't help you" instead of

big caliper and radial mount often doesn't work with dirt wheels because the caliper rubs the spokes. largers wheels mean the spokes are at a different angle.

with that said, I have seen guys transform older 510 smr's with a radial mount, but that's no garantee it'll also work on your 630. I tried to fit dirtwheels on a ktm 525 smr once and that wouldn't work. completely depends on the bike wether or not it's possible so if someone hasn't done it on a 630 before you're not going to get a straight answer.
Which is a LOT more information. I like Joe and Motostrano but it seems that a guy selling parts and goodies could have at least suggested a hub & rim combo that might work, with as much "yes this will fit your DRZ, we promise" as there is on the site.

·
6,598 Posts
I reckon if you don't have any idea wether or not something is going to work then just come out and say you don't know, instead of giving a some one advice that might not work out in the end, which will also make that some one unhappy.

finding wheels that will fit isn't the issue, wheels off a TE630 should bolt right up. it's just a question wether or not the big radial brake on the 630smr is going to pose a problem or not. can't know for sure until someone exactly goes out and tries it.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
i would pose this question on cafehusky and/or tt. have an owner of a te 630 give you the dimensions and measurements for the front wheel/brake setup. then make your own assumptions/decisions.

keep in mind, the 630 is a new bike this year and not many folks have them, so theier is not gonna be nearly as much modification experience as an established bike like a DRZ.

Joe probably did not want to give you bad advice and have you blame him if things didn't work out as planned. George at Uptite Racing might have the answers about this bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure I like your attitued... :Funny: I wasn't dogging or saying anything bad about them more of a release of frustration when I finally break down and ask someone and all I get is a "Sorry, have a nice day." Was really hoping for something, anything, even a link to another site... Oh wait, here I am :anim_peep:

Well hey there sessy :bannana: Did'ja notice some jerk posted pictures of your bike?

Anyway, I understand my situation better than you guys think. I'm a mechanical engineer and run CAD and FEA Simulations on aerospace castings all day everyday, believe me, I get it. I also own/admin a form and whore many others so I'm not a complete noob. I've just never had much to do with off road and thats where my knowledge is lacking. If you ask me its stupid I cant get knobby tires for my 17" front wheel... If I could that would just solve everything and <impaired> I wouldn't be trying to find dirt wheels to fit my street bike that I ride off road </impaired>...

Sounds like I'm going to have to go to Bill's and try putting an TE wheel on and just see how it goes. I hope husky had the foresight that people might want to do this and did a little something something so that it'd work; but I doubt it.

When I bought my 09 ZX6 it was the same story. Its redesigned and new, nobodies going to have much of anything for it. I'll see what I can do or have done and let you guys know what happens :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Not sure I like your attitued... :Funny: I wasn't dogging or saying anything bad about them more of a release of frustration when I finally break down and ask someone and all I get is a "Sorry, have a nice day." Was really hoping for something, anything, even a link to another site... Oh wait, here I am :anim_peep:

Well hey there sessy :bannana: Did'ja notice some jerk posted pictures of your bike?

Anyway, I understand my situation better than you guys think. I'm a mechanical engineer and run CAD and FEA Simulations on aerospace castings all day everyday, believe me, I get it. I also own/admin a form and whore many others so I'm not a complete noob. I've just never had much to do with off road and thats where my knowledge is lacking. If you ask me its stupid I cant get knobby tires for my 17" front wheel... If I could that would just solve everything and <impaired> I wouldn't be trying to find dirt wheels to fit my street bike that I ride off road </impaired>...

Sounds like I'm going to have to go to Bill's and try putting an TE wheel on and just see how it goes. I hope husky had the foresight that people might want to do this and did a little something something so that it'd work; but I doubt it.

When I bought my 09 ZX6 it was the same story. Its redesigned and new, nobodies going to have much of anything for it. I'll see what I can do or have done and let you guys know what happens :thumbup:
Why didn't you just say you wanted 17" knobbies for your stock wheels:hammer:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?9153-17-quot-Knobby-set-up-is-perfect-on-sand-loose-dirt&highlight=superretard

The "Search" function is your friend:thumbup:

·
6,598 Posts
N If you ask me its stupid I cant get knobby tires for my 17" front wheel...
long answer short, you can :lol:

continental has the tkc80 that's available in 17 inch and it is a nobbie tyre, that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more out there.

mind you, it'll be able to tackle some green laning or mild trials but if you want to get into the more intens offroad stuff dirt wheels also have the benefit of roling over obstacles or uneven surfaces, simply because they're larger in diameter. a 17 inch knobby will grip in the dirt but it won't ride as "smooth" or stable in uneven terrain.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I hear its better for downhill stuff too. Thats why I'd like a 19" or 21" front wheel I'd like to hit a trail or two and would like the larger front wheel with a real front tire. I have a set of the Shinko 705's on now and hate having a rear tire on the front...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I gave the Perelli MT 21 Rallycross tires a shot this weekend.

Rear - 130/90-17
Front - 120/90-17

At first I thought I had found exactly what I had been looking for. The front looked small enough to pass as a front tire and rid me of the fat cat feel of the shinko's. But once it was mounted and the the bead set I realized I still have a 3.5" rim and theres only so much you're going to be able to do. So that being said I still think it looks pretty good and it feels a lot better at 65mph in the gravel than the shinkos did :D

I've never really ridden in the dirt so I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong but I figure its going to help me when I put my street tires back on and ride it like a dirt bike on the street. Its such a foreign feeling to me having the back end squirt out on you all the time; the tire too :lol:

Overall if you want a set of knobbies for off roading without messing with the rims I think this is about as good as you're going to get. I was very pleased with how well they dug in and sent me on my way and handled ripping around fire roads. Just watch out for pot holes...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Congrats on fitting up the off-road wheels to the 630. Couldn't help notice that in the first pic's your tail seems "tidied" and then in the later pics it's back too standard. I'm looking too tidy up the tail on mine and already own a spare tail so am happy to cut up the old one too get it right but stil haven't got round too it as it looks like i'll have too drill holes in the white plastic under the light which i'm not 100% on doing. Anyway you could share some photos of your tail close up and any pointers on what you did too tidy it up. Looks great.

SMS630 In London Town UK :laughingr:clap::rofl::D:bannana:

·
Registered
525 Posts
The tail that he made looked awesome and worked awesome until he followed me too fast over a water bar and ripped the license plate off with the tire upon landing. Oops. :rofl:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on fitting up the off-road wheels to the 630. Couldn't help notice that in the first pic's your tail seems "tidied" and then in the later pics it's back too standard. I'm looking too tidy up the tail on mine and already own a spare tail so am happy to cut up the old one too get it right but stil haven't got round too it as it looks like i'll have too drill holes in the white plastic under the light which i'm not 100% on doing. Anyway you could share some photos of your tail close up and any pointers on what you did too tidy it up. Looks great.
Take a look at my CNC thread. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/876633-post102.html
I plan on making a better one as soon as I finish my garage and can get the machine back in place. It looked super awesome and I really liked it. But as Jon mentioned 45mph over a water bar and the poor thing was obliterated. I have HD video of it dangling from the fender :thumbup: Like I said I'm going to make another that moves the plate out more, stay tuned. I'll make you one too if you have a 630 and wana be a guinea pig for me :thumbup: No cutting, it'll be plug in and bolt on.

The tail that he made looked awesome and worked awesome until he followed me too fast over a water bar and ripped the license plate off with the tire upon landing. Oops. :rofl:
Thems was a good time. I only need a little more video and I'll be able to assemble the short film "Tarded Moments Part I" :thumbup:

How are those tires on the road? Looks like I may have to give it a try this spring. Looking at doing a couple of these events... http://www.4funtrailriders.com/Pages/AdventureRide.aspx
I had a little slip leaving the house but they were literally off the shelf and had never touched pavement at that point. As the day went on, hit some off road then found some dry pavement I was actually surprised how well they did. Obviously not a road tire and I wouldn't try dragging a foot peg with them but you can cruise along at a fairly spiritted pace. Once the pavement turned to wet again my mangina got the best of me and I rode like a sally though... :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Master_E, if you're interested in trying wheels from a 06 TE 450, I have a set that I'm using on my 07 sm 610. I'm in Portland and I think you are too, so it my be worth trying, then you at least have a starting point. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Master_E, if you're interested in trying wheels from a 06 TE 450, I have a set that I'm using on my 07 sm 610. I'm in Portland and I think you are too, so it my be worth trying, then you at least have a starting point. Let me know if you're interested.
PM'd
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts