SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple pics of what i started with. The bike was in pretty rough shape. The chain was so loose that it ate into the mud flap and the knobs on the tires, and the fork seals are shot.

Some pics of the chain when i bought it.

Getting her ready for a power washing bath

After I cleaned her up and the new over sized tank which is great to have and new hand guards with blinkers.

New trailtech flywheel, stator, and battery pack. The wiring harness I got from vancouver supermoto. Pretty expensive but super easy to install and work with.

New plastics, brakes, wiring complete, light, light switches, key switch and vapor

Now i just got to get rid of the old seat!

...and some random pics of my old sm. Was a great bike just not a 5 speed:headshake

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sweet crf

Hi there. Dreams do come true. That is one sweet R. I just purchased my buddies 07 crf450R and am in the process of trying to acquire parts to make it supermoto ready. I realize I am a noob, but would you mind giving me some info about the project such as what went well or what to stay away from? I have spent several hours on the forum in an attempt to not be lazy and educate myself, but this is exactly what I have wanted right down to the black plastic. Can I use a 5 inch rear wheel without chain rub or any other clearance issue? What is the best parts supplier you have found for this project?
Is that a Trail Tech headlamp and if so is it model specific or universal? I will spare you any more questions at this time. Thank you! I also happen to work at a Honda dealership so if I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mind the questions man. Especially if they will help you out in the long run. As for the clearance issue question I have 17"x5's on it now with a 160 and I do get a little chain rub. It doesn't seem to be that big a deal it just rubbed some of the side wall of the tire. I think motostrano has a spacer for chain rub but not sure. The 5" wheels other wise are great. The head light is a universal one and it sucks for night riding. I thought about switching the bulb but haven't got around to it. I may just get a ktm light like on my yamaha. That one was by far way better but more expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

Best parts supplier.... I used everyone from rocky mountain atv, dennis kirk, and motostrano. By far the biggest pain in the ass to deal with was motostrano. Everything took forever to ship here and when I would get the parts would be wrong or damaged. The first plastics kit I ordered from them came all scratched, scuffed, and the wrong rear fender. Then when I returned the set they sent me I got back one that was a little better scuff wise and number plates instead of shrouds. So i gave up with them and ordered from dennis kirk. I also ordered a mount for the vapor and they sent me the wrong one. But they are a big supermoto supplier so i guess you can't get around ordering from them.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
14 Posts
CRFR Supermoto ?'s

Thank you. I appreciate the time and info. Pardon my ignorance, but which stator did you use and what is the difference between an a/c or d/c setup? Did you like the handlebar switch from Vancouver Supermoto. Also, the the D-Flex hand guards with signal lamps look very nice--are you happy with them as well? Thanks again!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I appreciate the time and info. Pardon my ignorance, but which stator did you use and what is the difference between an a/c or d/c setup? Did you like the handlebar switch from Vancouver Supermoto. Also, the the D-Flex hand guards with signal lamps look very nice--are you happy with them as well? Thanks again!
Sorry about the respond wait I've been in the field for awhile. I used the trailtech stator and flywheel kit and so far its been great. I love the handle bar switch and handguards. They are easy to use and have eveything you'll need in that one switch. ie high, low beams, headlight, running light, horn, blinkers, run switch and kill swich.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for the great thread! I recently got an 05 450r that is in SM trim. I need a kick stand. Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Protip:

Remove that header wrap NOW.

Titanium will literally shatter when it's exhaust wrapped, at my last race weekend a competitor had a 2008 CRF450R with a wrapped exhaust and it broke right at the bend, it was spiderweb cracked all the way up the pipe.

I saved his weekend with a spare header, but lesson learned... Titanium becomes very brittle at high heat, and the header wrap traps a lot of heat and causes uneven cooling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great thread! I recently got an 05 450r that is in SM trim. I need a kick stand. Where did you get yours?
Got it from trailtech. Just make sure you get the sm one because its a little shorter. The regular one will make the bike want to tip over.

Protip:

Remove that header wrap NOW.

Titanium will literally shatter when it's exhaust wrapped, at my last race weekend a competitor had a 2008 CRF450R with a wrapped exhaust and it broke right at the bend, it was spiderweb cracked all the way up the pipe.

I saved his weekend with a spare header, but lesson learned... Titanium becomes very brittle at high heat, and the header wrap traps a lot of heat and causes uneven cooling.
Not trying to prove you wrong or be rude just asking but I just have the slip on. Would it matter on the stock pipe though? Aren't they just steal? If it was a dumb move Ill definitely get it of as soon as possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just put a new seat kit and cover on. Ill try to get some picks because it came out pretty good. Also waiting on my new rear sprocket and rear rotor. I had a 45 tooth sprocket but want a little more top end on the highway so Im going to try a 42 with my 15 front.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nope the stock header is titanium ;) it will break.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bad ass. I thought it was impossible to get a sm street legal in NC?
It pretty much is. Mine came from VA with a title, so it transferred right in. I would assume kawi did something similar.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just put a new seat kit and cover on. Ill try to get some picks because it came out pretty good. Also waiting on my new rear sprocket and rear rotor. I had a 45 tooth sprocket but want a little more top end on the highway so Im going to try a 42 with my 15 front.
Let me know how that works. I am running a 14-39 and still feel like there isn't enough highway gear, yet at the same time, it requires a lot of clutch to take off at a start. I guess it's the downside to having a short gearbox.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Got it from trailtech. Just make sure you get the sm one because its a little shorter. The regular one will make the bike want to tip over.

Im looking to replace the stock kickstand on my KTM, and wanted to check out the trailtech ones. Does it bolt to the stock location, or have a new mounting point? Would you mind taking some close up pics of yours for me???:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright guys I finally got sometime to answer some of your question. Still waiting on parts so I haven't tried to new gear ratio yet so I'll keep you guys posted. As for the trail tech stand I love it. It bolts into and replaces the stock foot peg mount takes like 5mins to put on. But like I said get the sm one from thier site cause the regular one I think is too long and makes the bike want to tip over. I'll get some pics this week or weekend. I have to put a new counter shalt seal on so I'll take some pics of that pocess too. Also bought a counter shalt spacer to help with the oil drip problem so we will see.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh and as for the title goes Ive found Tennessee title are the easiest one to pull of as easy. This bike and my last both came from Tenn. I dont want to say exactly how I did it on the open forum but if you pm me I'll give ya the run down of how I passed both titles off as street legal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
have you tested your new sprocket setup yet? i have a 06 450x and currently running 15/48 on it and was planning on going with a 41 or maybe 42 rear so i can run a bit lower rpm at speed; do you think that getting going from a stop is going to be ridiculous with the 41? how does your bike do from a stop with the 42? how about up top at like 55 and 75? Lemme know :infrandom:

Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haven't recieved the sprockets yet. Like I've expreesed before in this tread I hate dealing with Motostrano. Once again I order from them and they F**k it all up. So this is what happened I ordered a countershaft space, rear brake rotor, and rear sprocket. A day or two goes by and I get a e-mail from them saying the brake rotor is back ordered. So I write them back saying ill take a different one instead. I included everthing they needed (bike. year, and type of rotor) and even a link to their site with the right part and never hear back. Then a week later I get a package from them and it has the countershaft spacer, a front rotor thats not even close to what I ordered and no sprocket. I mean come on I even put the link to your page how do you mess that up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts