SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I finally got my DRZ! Already put 500km on it in the last three days. I don't care much for higher-then-stock top speed, but would prefer more bite down low. I want to keep the mods to the minimum, so far I've planned: k&n air filter, 3x3, jetting and full exhaust system. As a last resort I might lower the gearing, but I do not want to get hot cams, big bore kits or even a different carb.

The exhaust should add some power, sound deeper/better and be slightly louder then the stock one. I don't want titanium and I don't want it too loud either. So after lurking and reading a lot on these forums, I think I will go with an MRD racing exhaust, even though customs will rape me for importing it.

So my question, what is the difference in performance, in sound quality and in sound volume between the SSW (I've read most about this one) and there STANDARD one? They are exactly the same price..

" FULL STANDARD 96DB SPARK ARRESTED SYSTEM "
--> does the standard come with quiet insert already installed?
" SSW /MRD FULL SYSTEM "

I heard an Akrapovic slip-on on a stock DRZ a few weeks ago and although it doesn't add power, it did sound very good (deep sound), I think it was a bit too loud at top rpms though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
to add power, you have to increase your head pipe size, and lessen the bend angles, nothing a slip on will do, i personally dont know the different, arent they the same price?

and if you dont want cams and all that, what about a light weight flywheel, and maybe an e base gasket..,

I have an 09 with 3x3 k n filter, jd jet and full system, i order the base gasket... i was more than impressed with what i got, i did everything at once, and wow, completely different bike, 3 gear clutch wheelies without pre loading for me.. which was impossible before.. more passing power too, I cant stress how easy the jd jet kit was, took about 20 minutes(most of which i was pondering on which needle), i did a dyno jet on my buddies.. nothing but a head ache..

hope you enjoy your new bike..

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you aren't planning on a big bore or an fcr or anything like that you don't need the SSW. If you think you will go that route at all in the future you should get the SSW. They are both LOUD. VERY LOUD. It is a great exhaust system though. With the MRD and the JD jet kit with the 3x3 and a 14t front sprocket you should be very happy.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
do you plan on trail riding? if so id go for the std. mrd as they are quieter and come with the sparky so the dept. of forestry doesnt ride your tail.

the SSW version is a beast for build motors or not....across the board it makes the most power with or with out motor work. yes its loud but no louder then any other open pipe on the market. so if you have heard other pipes on the drz then you should expect the same out of the mrd.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You have got to be kidding. I had a pro circuit t-4 open pipe with almost no packing left in it before I got my MRD and the MRD is a ton louder than that thing was. The MRD is the loudest exhaust I have heard on the DRZ's.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
You can get the sparky and quiet core for both versions, I had my quiet core in for the rally since we were doing Forrest service roads, and it will pass the stick test for a sparky with that alone :D

It all depends on where you want your power, and what other mods you're going to do. With the FCR and cams, my DRZ has a ton more over rev from 5000RPM on up vs. stock, it pulls hard all the way to the limiter, so the SSW suits me for my riding, which is chasing buddies on sport bikes and bigger motards.

As far as noise goes, I had a full Big Gun system that probably needed re-packing. It hurt my ears, and I always wore ear plugs. The MRD is just as loud, but has a deeper tone without the sharp pop to it, and doesn't bother me personally and I no longer wear ear plugs.

Don't hold me to it, but if memory serves Dave at MRD says the std system with quiet core will meet the 96db limit for track days as well as Forrest service stuff. With the SSW I think it still hit around 99db with quiet core, probably around 102-105 without.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You have got to be kidding. I had a pro circuit t-4 open pipe with almost no packing left in it before I got my MRD and the MRD is a ton louder than that thing was. The MRD is the loudest exhaust I have heard on the DRZ's.
To each there own. But I have ridden with drz's with rs-3's/2 powercore 4 and pro curcuit and I'd say the fmf was the loudest and the yoshimuras came just about a tie with my MRD.

·
Registered
445 Posts
To each there own. But I have ridden with drz's with rs-3's/2 powercore 4 and pro curcuit and I'd say the fmf was the loudest and the yoshimuras came just about a tie with my MRD.
Again to each their own but I pulled a FMF Powercore off my bike when I bought it and replaced it with the MRD and the MRD is a hell of a lot louder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anybody have the MRD Standard exhaust here? Could you please comment on how much louder this baby is compared to the stock exhaust? I won't be doing any major engine tuning so I don't need the SSW.

I only ride my bike on the street, and occasionally on a 1-2 mile dirt road near/through a forrest. No real 'trials' here and I don't do track either. I live in a very urban enviroment and I do not want to disturb the neighbours/cops too much. I do however would like to get a small increase in power and get a nicer "grunt" then the stock exhaust is providing.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I wish I could hear some kind of comparison between the Stock Exhaust, MRD Standard and MRD SSW.

cheers, Michiel (Belgium).

EDIT
Oh, I didn't know what a Spark Arrestor is, but just looked it up and I don't think I legally need that in Belgium. But I assume this will also keep the volume down, just like the quiet insert? Hopefully without messing with the deep grunt sound I'm looking for or mess with the power increase.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Does anybody have the MRD Standard exhaust here? Could you please comment on how much louder this baby is compared to the stock exhaust? I won't be doing any major engine tuning so I don't need the SSW.

I only ride my bike on the street, and occasionally on a 1-2 mile dirt road near/through a forrest. No real 'trials' here and I don't do track either. I live in a very urban enviroment and I do not want to disturb the neighbours/cops too much. I do however would like to get a small increase in power and get a nicer "grunt" then the stock exhaust is providing.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I wish I could hear some kind of comparison between the Stock Exhaust, MRD Standard and MRD SSW.

cheers, Michiel (Belgium).

EDIT
Oh, I didn't know what a Spark Arrestor is, but just looked it up and I don't think I legally need that in Belgium. But I assume this will also keep the volume down, just like the quiet insert? Hopefully without messing with the deep grunt sound I'm looking for or mess with the power increase.
If you really don't want to make the neighbors mad, keep it stock. Otherwise, for your situation, I'd recommend and FMF powerbomb header and Q2 silencer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts