SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there mounts their own tubes and tires? Is it the same process as mounting a dirt tube and tire? I was thinking of doing it myself since i have changed dirt tires before. Is there anything I need to be careful or watch out for? Thanks

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It's easy enough, breaking the bead can be a pain. It gets easier the more you do.

I use two spoons about 3 inches apart. One spoon prying up forcing the bead down, and one spoon with a 1" block of wood or whatever under it. This pushes the tire sidewall down. Hold pressure and spray soapy water. I've done one front and two rears now. I've got it down almost. It takes me 15-20 minutes to break the bead and remove a tire. Getting the new one on is easy, about 2 minutes. I warm up the new tire on a radiator type heater with a coat over it for a half hour or so.

I actually got a new front Avon rain tire on with no tools or lube by preheating it as above. It was only a little bit more work than a bmx tire.

I made my rims tubeless, thats why I did my own. Tires are expensive enough on their own, I've saved $75 + whatever two tubes cost.

Rear tires? let's just say my rim has character now. If you don't want to garf it up, use a rag or a slit piece of hose or something to protect it.

A local mc shop spin balances them for $5.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bead is more difficult to break. I use an 8 foot board, a chunk of same board cut to a point, and my deck railing to break the bead. Lever the pointed board into the sidewall till the bead breaks. Once the sidewall is pushed down, you can poke at the bead with a spoon to help break it.

I went from dirt tires to street tires too. The 17" tires are much tighter than 19/21". You can do most of the removal/install with your hands & soapy water. Once you have to use spoons on the install, make sure the bead of the seated part of the tire is positioned & pushed into the middle of the rim so you have some extra play as you try to get the last part of the bead over the rim.

These rim protectors worked really well:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/motion-pro-rim-protectors?utm_medium=base&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Tool&utm_keyword=motion-pro-rim-protectors&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CKrt6sLg9a8CFUHDtgodUX6fUg

My balancer is a piece of rod and a rear spool stand.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you can do dirt tires you can do supermoto tires. As stated above the bead is the only part that can be more difficult.

I use this cheap ass bead breaker from Harbor Freight that works great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-bead-breaker-98875.html

The first one I bought broke the first time I used it - bad weld. I returned it for another one and no problems since.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
use this one instead

http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

I have both this one has way more leverage

grind off that nub in the middle, take some split hose and wire strap to the base to save the rims...

buy the spoons that are very rounded and are 12" long with a red and black handle.. can't remember the name.... 50 /50 soap/water spray bottle ...air compressor is good too...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts