SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about mounting rims of another bike to my WR250x so I can use tubeless tires. But searching around and obviously the answer is no. Haven't look at the rims myself so I don't know what is incompatible. Have you ever try to use aftermarket rims on your bike? How do you do that? I have access to a CNC service so spacers can be made... etc...

·
Registered
976 Posts
No need for aftermarket wheels or wheels from another bike unless you want the bling factor. Search for the "tubeless for under $10.00" thread on here. Theres alot of good info on how to make stock tubed rims tubeless. Make sure to read all posts, because throughout the thread a few guys actually expanded upon the original idea and came up with cleaner,cheaper ways to do it. When I get new tires, I'm gonna go this route.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read the thread but still wondering if it's reliable, also I maybe can get a set of wheel for cheap, here in South East Asia.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Unless you go with a cast wheel like F3 wheels, or Katana wheels which you'll have to do machine work on, I dont think you're gonna find any cheap tubeless spoked wheels. The only ones I know of are Alpinas, and they are $$$pricey.

As long as you take care, prep well and make sure all the nipples seal well, I think the homemade tubeless route is pretty reliable. $.02

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah that's what I'm talking about, I'm trying to find a set of 3.5x17 and 4.5x17 cast wheels, maybe they will cost about $300 then machine them to fit.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Im not sure if the F2/3 wheels are 4.5 or 5 inch, but I know that guys that needed thinner wheels have used the Katana setups. Good luck, and post pics when you're done.
Also, realize that cast wheels are gonna weigh alot more than stock wheels even with tubes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I converted my Husky 250 to supermoto using Honda F2 wheels. I had to buy all new bearings since the Husky has 25mm axles, and do quite a bit of machine work to get the rear narrow enough to fit in the swingarm. I picked up the wheels for $200 with tires, had about $100 in bearings, and $50 in raw materials for spacer etc.

Also, not sure exactly what the width of the rims themselves is but the rear is a 160, and I believe the front is a 120

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
using wheel from some 600cc+ bikes will be too wide back rear, I'm trying to find some wheel sets of smaller, 250cc bikes which are very popular and easier to find here. I have a set of 120 front and 150 rear BT003RS and I'm planning to use them on these wheels.

I know it's going to weight heavier than spoked wheels.

@Hathaway: how do you rate the conversion work? is it a PITA or it's worth doing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
@Hathaway: how do you rate the conversion work? is it a PITA or it's worth doing?
It wasn't really that hard, and I'm a cheap bastard, so the $500 savings over buying a motard setup was worth it. It took more time than I expected due to a lot of test-fitting as I went, and figuring out where the next fraction of of an inch would come from.

I would probably do it again, but wouldn't recommend it unless you are a relatively competent machinist with axcess to a mill, lathe, and welder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is it really safe to mount rims backward? the set of rims I'm looking at are from an Aprilia RS125 and they have everything on the wrong size, sprocket on the right, rotor on the left, up front the rotor mount on the right side.

they are available for around $350 brand new and their look can kill!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts