SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. i am new here... I was scouting the internet for some days now trying to find specific things but couldnt..
I own a kawasaki kle 500 and i want to get rid of the old rims and make it motard but i cant the anywhere in witch are the rims that would fit in this bike.. some say from xt some from bandit and some from ktm but not sure.. i cant ask any mechanic here cause everyone wants to sell their product say different things.. so please can someone tell me what rims whould fit. ??

·
Registered
85 Posts
buchanspokes.com , they can makes spokes to put the 17'' rims on your stock hubs. They can assemble them as well.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Pretty much anything is going need custom work like spacers. Lacing new "hoops" to your stock hubs is the most straight forward. Figure out how many spokes your rims have.

With rims like ktm and many aftermarket for ktm the wheel spacers ride inside bearing meaning the spacer is what controls the axle size. For most other bikes the bearing is the size of the axle. This is what makes it tricky. I have adapted wheels and its a pain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty much anything is going need custom work like spacers. Lacing new "hoops" to your stock hubs is the most straight forward. Figure out how many spokes your rims have.

With rims like ktm and many aftermarket for ktm the wheel spacers ride inside bearing meaning the spacer is what controls the axle size. For most other bikes the bearing is the size of the axle. This is what makes it tricky. I have adapted wheels and its a pain.
Is it possible to change that..? Can a make them fit into my bike with some work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible to change that..? Can a make them fit into my bike with some work?
If i change the bearings of the rim with the bearings of kle will they fit.?? If i understand correctly you saying that the axle of kle will not fit into the rims of ktm so is it possible by changing the bearing into the rim will make them fit into the axle of kle?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have 0 clue what your axle sizes are. If you are serious about trying to make something fit your first step is to measure your axles and hub width.

When swapping rims you have a lot to consider.
1. Front brake rotor location. This might not line up with your caliper.

2. Rear brake location. Same as front.

3. Rear sprocket location. Need to make sure its in line with the front so the chain doesnt try to walk.

It really is so much easier to relace your stock hibs or find a used set of stock wheels. You can buy just the rim part from warp 9 or any other manufacturer. Last time i bought just a rim it was around $125. Then you need spokes. The last set of rims i sold were around $800. If you have access to a lathe to make your own spacers that helps but if not you will have to pay a shop and for 1 off parts you will be well over $200 for custom spacers front and rear.

Im happy to measure the width of my ktm hubs if that helps but i still suggest relacing stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 0 clue what your axle sizes are. If you are serious about trying to make something fit your first step is to measure your axles and hub width.

When swapping rims you have a lot to consider.
1. Front brake rotor location. This might not line up with your caliper.

2. Rear brake location. Same as front.

3. Rear sprocket location. Need to make sure its in line with the front so the chain doesnt try to walk.

It really is so much easier to relace your stock hibs or find a used set of stock wheels. You can buy just the rim part from warp 9 or any other manufacturer. Last time i bought just a rim it was around $125. Then you need spokes. The last set of rims i sold were around $800. If you have access to a lathe to make your own spacers that helps but if not you will have to pay a shop and for 1 off parts you will be well over $200 for custom spacers front and rear.

Im happy to measure the width of my ktm hubs if that helps but i still suggest relacing stock.
Thanks.. but i want to replace them make it look more of motard.. can you measure then yours and tell me.. i know for fact tha rims from xt and bandit will fit.. but i am just loving the looks on ktm rims.. thats why i try to do some research to find out if its possible to install them. I 90% sure that the axle of my kle is fatter than ktm but if you can measure them that will be great thanks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Maybe its not clear. The wheel is made up of 3 parts. The hub, spokes and rim. What i am saying is that you use your hub so you know it fits, sprocket line up and brakes then buy new spokes and rim and build it yourself. Much less work and will be cheaper if you dont need your stock rims.

The look of the rim is the same. My sm rims are alpina which use a kite brand hub but that uses the same general setup like a stock. I also have tusk brand rims which also use the wheel spacer in the bearing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oooooooohhh.. got it... Thanks man.. i didnt understand it correctly the first time.. sory my english isnt great...thanks a lot my friend..

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No problem :) first step is to count the number of spokes on your rims. I think generally there are 32 spokes or 36. Then you can pick your color rim and brand and spokes. You can also paint. Anodize or powder coat your hubs.

You will want to watch videos on lacing and truing rims.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem :) first step is to count the number of spokes on your rims. I think generally there are 32 spokes or 36. Then you can pick your color rim and brand and spokes. You can also paint. Anodize or powder coat your hubs.

With a quick scout on net i saw that you were right .. your way is cheaper.. thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Can you recommend some spokes ?? What would you prefer to buy..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had to look up what a KLE500 was, doesn't seem to have been sold in the US? Anyhow if your bike has a cush hub (I am assuming it does, being a twin)..... you are going to want to retain that feature!! If Kevin @ Warp9 has seen one of these bikes, and has a set of rims available then you can't go wrong with those. Otherwise contact Robert @ Buchanan..... he will probably want you to send your hubs so they can drill the rim correctly and then they will charge you to "loose spoke" it ($30) which makes sure everything fits, and you only have to put a torque on them and you are done. Both paces are great to work with.... my last project included warp9 hubs being sent to Buchanan to be fitted to the rim....

Ps. One of the guys mentioned above told me the only wheels that had 32 spoke was the XR650L and now honda is using it more on the CRF450.
Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts