SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Recently I posted I was going to buy street tires for my current rim (dirt) set up on my SSR 125 SB-A. Well I've decided to go all out and get proper motard wheels! My dillemma is I don't know what to get! I'm soo confused and the more I try and read up on info the more confused I am becoming, thats why I ask you guys. I believe I have 4 options

1. Mobster Wheels - Price $343.47 shipped, these are 12x2.15 Front and 12x2.50 Rear.

2. Pitster LXR - Price $320.81 shipped, these are 12x1.85 Front and 12x2.50 Rear

3. Pitster Mag Wheels - Price $294.52 shipped, these are 12x2.50 Front and 12x2.75 Rear

4. Piranha Mag Wheels - Price $291.73 shipped, these are 12x2.50 Front and 12x3.0 Rear.

All but the LXR wheels come without tires, my understanding is that I will definitely need axle reducers for any of these from 15mm to 12mm and that I will have to have a caliper relocater made for the front disc on all wheels. All but the Mobster wheels have rotor sizes of 220mm and 190mm, the Mobster wheels are 210mm and 200mm (this means a bracket is neccessary for the rear too?)

My usage will mostly be neighborhood messing around, if the chance comes up to hit a track I would definitely love to and would like to be prepared. Hope someone can help! If you guys need anything from me, ask!

Thanks,

Diego

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rule out the one with odd sized rotors. The others will fit fine. You dont need different brackets for brakes. You will just need different axle spacers. I had to buy generic 3 inch axle spacers and cut my own. I got the spoked wheels (12" motard wheels on Pitster) over the mag type wheels, they are cheaper, and I have read threads of people having issues fitting the mag wheels on some bikes. Good luck with your wheels and have fun.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang, those Mobster wheels look tits! I also saw a couple ppl having fitment issues with the Mags ... this is becoming harder and harder. Lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pulled the trigger on the Piranha wheels, there was a price drop! Got em for a cool $220 shipped. Got some Dunlop TT92 to go on them, thinking I am going to go ahead and do a tubeless set up. Handguards also ordered, hopefully this wont be too much of a PITA.

Everything comes June 1st! :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. I got it off wholesale-cycle's website, just last night it was at $218!! Thats crazy, check the site daily.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You know as cheap as they are making the 12" wheels in china, I'm kind of shocked I haven't seen any 17" cast wheels yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You know as cheap as they are making the 12" wheels in china, I'm kind of shocked I haven't seen any 17" cast wheels yet.
Probably because of liability and certification. If they made 17" wheels, people would use them on the street, and any issues that came up would reflect on the manufacturer. Plus, the 12's go no faster than 55mph (assumed, maybe a more but not much). Someone would take the 17's to well above 100mph and the resulting hue and cry if the wheels failed would be pretty crazy.

Last, knowing that the 12" cast wheels are almost double the weight of spoked wheels, could you imagine the weight of a 17" wheel? Especially if they had a cush hub.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ That's true , I feel these manufactors know for the most part the application of these 12" wheels is mostly for fun on a bike that tops out at 45ish mph?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, just signed up after reading this thread. I have a SSR 150 and was about to get the piranha cast wheels as well. Macco, let us know how it fits up! I'm guessing some spacer work needs to be done :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome duelist, everything is set to come in tonight but I have class til 9 o' clock then hw. Tomorrow I work but Friday! Hopefully I can get everything on then depending on how much fabricating if any is required.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

This is where im at, problems I am experiencing:
-Rotors (front) too big. I already knew this was going to happen.
-Spacing, this is just ignorance. Are both sides suppose to be evenly spaced? I cant get the chain tight enough because of this.

Besides that all else is good.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Nice, I wonder if those wheels would fit on the KTM65 ? Do you have the dia of the front and rear axle ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm.. How can I measure it? Let me know and ill get you that info.

·
Registered
535 Posts
This is where im at, problems I am experiencing:
-Rotors (front) too big. I already knew this was going to happen.
-Spacing, this is just ignorance. Are both sides suppose to be evenly spaced? I cant get the chain tight enough because of this.

Besides that all else is good.
90% positive that your old rotor from your original wheels should fit on the Pitster front wheel, thereby eliminating the rotor issue up front. Go over to www.planetminis.com and ask about these wheels in the Chinese/Import section (ironic name, as almost every single bike on that site is an import, but somehow the bikes from "China" get singled out. Go figure.).

I am not clear on your rear wheel issue- Are you concerned about the alignment front-to-back regarding the chain tension, or the alignment side-to-side? Spacers determine the side to side once you get the sprockets lined up front to back. Then you need to get the axle parallel to the swingarm. I simply measure from the swingarm pivot to the axle on either side, and make them the same. Then I adjust the chain blocks until the chain is at the right tension, making sure that the axle is still parallel to the swingarm. Does that make sense? If you need more help just ask as I have these exact same wheels on my mini.

I know that if your wheels fit on your stock axles with no rattle, you have a 15mm axle. If there is space between the axles and the bearings in the wheels you have 12mm axles. Those wheels come from pitster with 15mm bearings.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is the dia of the wheel shaft ?
Oh ok, I will measure that later tonight.

90% positive that your old rotor from your original wheels should fit on the Pitster front wheel, thereby eliminating the rotor issue up front. Go over to www.planetminis.com and ask about these wheels in the Chinese/Import section (ironic name, as almost every single bike on that site is an import, but somehow the bikes from "China" get singled out. Go figure.).

I am not clear on your rear wheel issue- Are you concerned about the alignment front-to-back regarding the chain tension, or the alignment side-to-side? Spacers determine the side to side once you get the sprockets lined up front to back. Then you need to get the axle parallel to the swingarm. I simply measure from the swingarm pivot to the axle on either side, and make them the same. Then I adjust the chain blocks until the chain is at the right tension, making sure that the axle is still parallel to the swingarm. Does that make sense? If you need more help just ask as I have these exact same wheels on my mini.

I know that if your wheels fit on your stock axles with no rattle, you have a 15mm axle. If there is space between the axles and the bearings in the wheels you have 12mm axles. Those wheels come from pitster with 15mm bearings.
Yea, I switched the rotor from the old wheels to these and that worked like a charm. I pretty sure I have 15mm axles because I did not have to use the bearing reducers that came with the wheels.

I still don't get the rear spacing. My problem is to get the chain to tighten the chain block on the left side has to be to the 6th mark and I cant get the right side out that much because of the rear caliper mount and having the left on the 6th mark and right on the 5th would create some massive wobble. The problem I'm facing right now is that, getting the rear wheel straight and the chain tight, the front is rolling well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yea, I switched the rotor from the old wheels to these and that worked like a charm. I pretty sure I have 15mm axles because I did not have to use the bearing reducers that came with the wheels.

I still don't get the rear spacing. My problem is to get the chain to tighten the chain block on the left side has to be to the 6th mark and I cant get the right side out that much because of the rear caliper mount and having the left on the 6th mark and right on the 5th would create some massive wobble. The problem I'm facing right now is that, getting the rear wheel straight and the chain tight, the front is rolling well.
That sounds weird. Mine seems to work just fine. However, I know that the mag wheels come with a very small sprocket, requiring you to move the wheel pretty far back. I would see about putting the dirt sprocket on the mag wheel and see how that works. I know that I have to move the wheel back about 3/4" when the mag goes on and that is pretty far back on the adjusters. It's worth a shot. You might be able to remove a link from your chain, although I wouldn't advise that procedure just yet.

Oh, remove all of the bolts on both wheels and reinstall with blue loctite. Every single bolt was loose on my wheels and I haven't ridden the bike more than 1 mile total since I got it. The sprocket hub was ready to fall off and started scarring the mounts, almost messed everything up. At least make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sounds weird. Mine seems to work just fine. However, I know that the mag wheels come with a very small sprocket, requiring you to move the wheel pretty far back. I would see about putting the dirt sprocket on the mag wheel and see how that works. I know that I have to move the wheel back about 3/4" when the mag goes on and that is pretty far back on the adjusters. It's worth a shot. You might be able to remove a link from your chain, although I wouldn't advise that procedure just yet.

Oh, remove all of the bolts on both wheels and reinstall with blue loctite. Every single bolt was loose on my wheels and I haven't ridden the bike more than 1 mile total since I got it. The sprocket hub was ready to fall off and started scarring the mounts, almost messed everything up. At least make sure they are tight.
Hmm, yea I think I'll swap over the dirt sprocket. I just wanted to see how it rode with that smaller sprocket. Did you have to make custom spacers for your wheels? I had to cut my old spacer maybe 1/8" to get it to fit back there. If I can get a picture later today can you tell me if it looks right enough? I'd really appreciate it.

And I'm wayy aheard of you, that was the 1st thing I did when I got the wheels. Its not my first go around with "china" stuff. Learned that when my rear brake came loose under vibration and left me brakeless going into a turn.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts