SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow junkies,

I have a KLX 250 '09 but wanna move on to a more powerfull supermoto bike.

Im looking for a semi-racing for track days, drifts, twisties around town though low maintenance bike!

My budget allows my to buy a 2005-2006 used model.

so..i come up to this!

Suzuki - Drz 400 sm (looks like a middle solution...low bhp..)
Honda - Fmx 650 (im comfused about this bike :S)
KTM - 640 Lc4 (perfection!!! but i dont trust used ones AT ALL!)
Husky - sm610 (same with KTM)
Yamaha - XTX (looks so heavy and sluggy....)

What would be your suggestion?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Wr450 or a KTM 450 / 525 Exc model.
Neither bike fits his low maintenance request.

I'm not familiar with the Honda either, but the others you list do.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It depends on his idea of lower maintenance....The WR and EXC require you to change the oil more often and check valves more often but thats it. Both are lower maintenance than a MX converted....Both the WR and EXC are known to be reliable for supermoto street use. And both have a reliable valve train that rarely needs adjusting and if they do on the KTM they are easy. It's a compromise compared to the DRZ400...but even the DRZ is recommended at 1k mile oil changes. The EXC models are known to go 30K plus miles......

kostassc have you looked into the KTM 525?

Otherwise from your list I would go with the DRZ. YOu can pick them up with all the needed mods in good shape in the 3500$ range.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just going to make mine bigger

I have an 09 KLX250SF. I am going to make it a KLX351SF. I love the bike, but it needs some more nutz. I should be able to do it for six hundred dollars. If it would only lift the front wheel.

The bike is a hoot to drive now but......

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i tried drz today, didnt like it much, its too small with low riding position(at least for a 1,93m person) and doesnt make u wanna lean it over. poor brakes. sweet throttle though!

The problem with ktm's here is that most if all people visit workshop like every 10 000km(6 000 miles). and as far as i know thses bikes need oil and valve set every 1000km(600m)!!!!

I feel like its a risk buying a used one.

Hmmm 525's looks lighter than 640lc4's, same horsepower...but they're converted thus sooo tall!

Do they behave well on track???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 09 KLX250SF. I am going to make it a KLX351SF. I love the bike, but it needs some more nutz. I should be able to do it for six hundred dollars. If it would only lift the front wheel.

The bike is a hoot to drive now but......

David
I know what u mean...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im buying an exc 450 '03 converted to 525 motard. doesnt fit my maintenance ideal. but its a damn hoot!!

Thanks everybody!

Ill post photos sometime soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts