SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did he give you a pretty hard time or just tell you to leave?
They were cool and just said I shouldn't be doing it, and I mentioned that I was just going home :D

LOL that's called locking the rear tire with the brake, not backing it in.
Yea, I know, I'm learning and am still practicing in a stright line, more or less.
I have a tendency to over use the back brake which gets in the way.

Strangely enough, this earlier video is possibly a better example (from 1:30):

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sounds like your pulling the clutch in and just using the rear brake. Backing it in is caused by engine speed not matching the rear tire speed (i.e. heavy engine braking). Going from a higher gear to a very short gear in a small amount of time, having the clutch disengaged.

Pound down from 4-3-2 or 1 with heavy front braking and feathering the rear. Don't engage the clutch when you're breaking, let the engine help you brake, and you'll end up skipping the rear tire.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like your pulling the clutch in and just using the rear brake. Backing it in is caused by engine speed not matching the rear tire speed (i.e. heavy engine braking). Going from a higher gear to a very short gear in a small amount of time, having the clutch disengaged.

Pound down from 4-3-2 or 1 with heavy front braking and feathering the rear. Don't engage the clutch when you're breaking, let the engine help you brake, and you'll end up skipping the rear tire.
Thanks for the advice, I understand the technique and occasionally I do get it right (you watched past 1:30, right?); 2:00, 2:25, 3:11 in the last video are examples. Unfortunately they don't happen often enough to pack out a video.
It would help if I could find someone here interested in mentoring me, as it stands, I'm happy to baby-step it to full-on Dani Ribalta sliding!

Shouldn't take more than about 10 years ;)

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Pound down from 4-3-2 or 1 with heavy front braking and feathering the rear.
Yeah, or just do this!
http://youtu.be/ICd8s9nbfL8
:lol:

GAR, don't sweat it man. Everyone is not a Pro... practice makes perfect. Or at least gets you on your way. I applaud you for getting out there, riding, shooting some vids and working on your skills while having some fun! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
And hey, I am not rippin NYJ here... I know the boys from Austin can ride.

My point is this shit doesn't happen over night for anybody. And the only answer is time in the saddle. Get out there and work on it.

The problem with posting vids, is that there is always a critic. Hell, I get stupid (negative) comments on my Youtube Channel all the time. Usually, from some 12 year old kid who rides a BMX bike saying his mother's station wagon is faster. :hmmm:

I am nothing special, but I make progress. Even at 45 on a stock DRZ. Looking back at my early practice vids I see all kinds of mistakes. BUT, I am out there riding!

You can see me doing the same thing... here is one of buddies shooting me while I practice and play around to get in some sort of shape and work things out.

http://youtu.be/xweh4LMmpS8

Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, or just do this!
http://youtu.be/ICd8s9nbfL8
:lol:

GAR, don't sweat it man. Everyone is not a Pro... practice makes perfect. Or at least gets you on your way. I applaud you for getting out there, riding, shooting some vids and working on your skills while having some fun! :thumbup:
Yea! saw that on another thread - ouch mate!
In fact, your thread had me searching for chest protectors online :)
Thanks for the encouragement.

After a while, we reach an age where when we fall, it's harder to stand up. I'm there, so I'm cool with taking it easy.

When I get the cash, I'll join Dani Ribalta for a trackday workshop - http://www.daniribaltaproschool.com/?p=1478 (but I'll get a chest protector first ;) )

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
gar, you got a great attitude man.

I'm far from a pro, and not a coach either, but try leaning the bike over a little more before you start feathering the clutch, and get your weight on the inside of the bike to help kick out the rear. And just remember - be smooth!

Hope that helps brotha, keep up the good work! You're on the right track for sure. A lot of people don't even have the balls to try.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
In fact, your thread had me searching for chest protectors online :)

The more safety gear, the better, IMHO. I see guys in MX gear and it worries me. Full leathers are huge, under-armor is good and not falling at all is best.

Though I am not sure what a MX style chest protector would have done for me in that event. I landed on my own folded up arm with enough force that it broke all my ribs (arm was fine), and two years later they are just now figuring out that I tore something in my shoulder and they are looking into that now. I should have figured... that crash ripped the stitching out and tore the leather from the middle of my right shoulder blade all the way up to the middle back of my neck! Pretty crazy. But, no rash at all.

Blunt force trauma is hard to prevent when hitting something hard like that. Road rash and twisting or crushing injuries are prevented nicely with good gear such as leathers, padding and good foot protection.

Wear everything you have if practicing hanging the rear out on pavement. AND, if you have time to think about it (you won't) letting it go ahead and low-side is 100 times better than hanging on and doing a high side getting off over the top.

Best to practice sliding around on a packed dirt road or lot. Rear end steps out much easier and at lower speeds. Plus with street tires on dirt, you rarely will ever get enough traction to have it hook up and high side you.

Just my thoughts. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wouldn't bashing the gears with no clutch destroy and or cause damage to the internals?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gar, you got a great attitude man.

I'm far from a pro, and not a coach either, but try leaning the bike over a little more before you start feathering the clutch, and get your weight on the inside of the bike to help kick out the rear. And just remember - be smooth!

Hope that helps brotha, keep up the good work! You're on the right track for sure. A lot of people don't even have the balls to try.
Thanks for the encouragement mate!
I'll continue to post updates on my YT channel.

The more safety gear, the better, IMHO. I see guys in MX gear and it worries me.

Best to practice sliding around on a packed dirt road or lot. Rear end steps out much easier and at lower speeds. Plus with street tires on dirt, you rarely will ever get enough traction to have it hook up and high side you.

Just my thoughts. :)
And thank you for them.

Good idea about the dirt practice - I'll give it a go next time.

I'm with you on the gear!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You've probably read them all, the motocross tips articles by the 'A' grade guns on how to hold it pinned over that rutted, whooped out track or how to tune motors with the help of a full time mechanic and a factory racer budget or how to lay it flat into a howling cross wind while you're clearing that 90 foot triple.

That's all good if you're a motocross pro like Ryan Dungey or Ryan Villopoto, but if you're like the rest of us mere mortals then you need info that's relevant to you.

Bike maintenance tricks for racers on a budget that will save you time and money.

Motocross tips and techniques that you can apply on race day that will have you back in the pits with your helmet off and your feet up while the rest of the chumps file in covered in roost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts