SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few years ago I had taken and streeted a yz426f. I'm not concerned about being able to get that done...however, I've since sold that bike.

Here's my current situation though:
I have a 426 that is currently my race bike (not the same one that was on the street). I'm only hitting a race about once a month, so I feel like I'm not really getting the use out of the bike. So I'm considering turning it to the street like the previous one I had. Reason is, I'm tight enough on funds that I have to sell either my 426 or my R6. I'm much more comfortable on dirt bikes and I enjoy trail riding as well, so I'm thinking the R6 should go.

However, that being said, I will be starting a new job in May that will require a 1 hour commute at freeway speeds for a good 45-50 minutes of that. If I gear the bike right, would the 426 be able to handle this, or is this just simply an unrealistic hope?

If I sell the 426, I'd be picking up a cheap 150 and racing mini and using it for the trails. Then when I find a good deal for a newer 450, I'd pick that up later as I could afford it.

What are your thoughts? Suggestions? What would you do in my situation?

I'm having the hardest time deciding because the tard is by far the most fun, but practicality is beating at my door and telling me to be more frugale.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You could probably gear it to work fairly well but it would be rough. I have a 55-60mph commute of about 40 min. and that is pretty rough. The sustained speeds are just really buzzy and kind of a pain.

Are you riding freeway or just 55mph type roads?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Much as I hate to admit it. Sell the YZ. The R6 is a much better setup for that commute.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When was it that they went to the 4-speed gearbox? I still have the 5-speed box in my 426, but I also know it is the close ratio as compared to the WR.

What about oil capacity??? raider, I don't mean to discount your comment as I definitely weigh it in, but I'm more concerned about the wear it will place on the bike.

This will be actual freeway (75 mph).

·
Registered
978 Posts
03 was the switch. You can swap from the yzf to wr trans for that year. At that range and speed you will be doing lots of oil changes. and it will want to burp a lot out of the vent tube.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 400 that's now a 426. I'd never wanna do that ride if it was mostly freeway. Mine hits the rev limiter at 85mph, which makes running with traffic a pretty high revving experience around here. Aside from the annoyance I'm sure those kinda sustained RPMs aren't good for the motor, and probably contributed to the death of my 400 rod bearing.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do ya'll think if I kept speeds under 65 for the most part and hit 75 for a couple exit to exit bursts (about 10 miles)?? I could find some backroads in between and make it there. The gearing I was planning on was 16/43 for the street. I run 15/46 on the track (MMP - it's a kart track) and hit the limiter on straights.

I think it's pretty obvious I would really like to find a way to use the tard, I just don't want to completely ruin this bike. It is possible I may find an apartment closer to where I work...~20 min, but still higher speeds. However, I will also still need something for an occasional (once a week?) hour or so trip at 70 or so. Is this feasible or am I daydreaming??

·
Registered
978 Posts
If it is mostly 65 I think you'd be in good shape. I generally hit that on mine on the way to work with no problem. Honestly, if you're serious about it and there is any motor work or freshening that needs done, do the wr trans. I am going to do mine and am super stoked about it

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
raider, I really appreciate your help. I'll just try real hard to keep revs down. The engine has very low hours as is, so I don't know that I want to get into it quite yet, but I'll start looking for the WR parts and then switch over when i get the chance. I should be fine for now?

I was just reading up on here about possible oil coolers as well. I think I'll pick one of those up to help out a bit as well.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Definitely, the thing to keep in mind is this. Even if you pound it and run it hard all summer on the commute. A crank up rebuild on one of these can be done for under $500. Thats nothing in the long run of motorcycle maintenance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts