SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I blew the engine on my DRZ last week because of oil starvation (piston,cylinder,cams all trash:damn:). After I get it repaired I'm going to modify the the small black reservoir (which fills with oil during wheelies and eventually spills out into the airbox) which sits beside the carburettor. Also I'm going to try modifying the oil pickup or at least look into it, don't know how it looks on the DRZ and how easy it would be to mod yet.
Anyone had similar problems with thier bike or thoughts about modding? Strangely enough I havn't read about anyone trashing thier engine through too much "vertical riding", I've allways run a bit extra oil and thought I'd be fine, freakin DRZ engine should be bulletproof as slow n weak as it is :rant:

But anyway, please share any experience you have on this matter, whichever bike you have :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
i wonder if you could run an exturnal line into the valve cover to keep a little more lube upstairs. i got one of these motors apart at work, tomorrow i will look into what some options might be try also running ammsoil. i convinced a customer to do so, and after some time on the oil (in his quad) he drained it out and went to work. his pain in the ass kid came home from school and rode it for thirty min. it DID NOT BLOW UP, infact the only thing that really happend is the oil ring stuck compressed. the cam was fine piston wasn't horible but we replaced it all anyway just because they had a rough life. anyway for some reason that oil clings so well to metals i am sold only ams for me from here on

·
Registered
921 Posts
That seems unlikely, unless you were doing 10 mile wheelies, as the DRZ is a dry sump system. Your oil is in the frame while riding, so its actually above the engine (plus there is an oil pump) in a wheelie. Sounds like something else let go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That seems unlikely, unless you were doing 10 mile wheelies, as the DRZ is a dry sump system. Your oil is in the frame while riding, so its actually above the engine (plus there is an oil pump) in a wheelie. Sounds like something else let go.
A few people I've talked to have told me the oil pump just pumps air when the bike is vertical hence the upper part of the engine doesn't get enough oil. I think it's a combination of several other things aswell that made the engine give up though =/

·
Registered
29 Posts
And this is where the thread ends??? :popcorn: I just started to learn to wheelie my DRZ and would really like more info on wheelies and possible oil starvation? Please share.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
i wonder if you could run an exturnal line into the valve cover to keep a little more lube upstairs. i got one of these motors apart at work, tomorrow i will look into what some options might be try also running ammsoil. i convinced a customer to do so, and after some time on the oil (in his quad) he drained it out and went to work. his pain in the ass kid came home from school and rode it for thirty min. it DID NOT BLOW UP, infact the only thing that really happend is the oil ring stuck compressed. the cam was fine piston wasn't horible but we replaced it all anyway just because they had a rough life. anyway for some reason that oil clings so well to metals i am sold only ams for me from here on

You can submerge the entire head in oil if you like, but it will do nothing to prevent destroying the cam journals if the circulation system isn't pressurized.

Your idea is basically like pouring oil on the clutch cover in the hopes of it making its way into the clutch pack... It just won't happen.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Revised:

There is no way a drz engine was ridden for thirty minutes without oil. It is damaged, and will get worse very quickly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So far the only fix I know of is running a hose from the collection box up around the front stem an back to its original place on the airbox. An adding like 1/4 quart extra. Checking oil level frequently.

An I also read that the venting hoses need that vacuum from the air box to help remove the fumes from the engine. An that the engine needs a vent or it will get pressurized an that's not good for the engine either.
Maybe figure out how to t in a hose from that collection to the oil fill hole on the frame?

I know for the f4i, they have a relocation tab clip thing to rotate the oil pick up toward the rear. An a metal gasket that blocks the oil from going into the upper areas of the back of the engine to help keep the oil pick up submerged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts