SuperMoto Junkie banner

Should we convert all classes to 2 moto scoring instead of 1 heat/1 main?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
2 moto format, "pea pick" for first moto grids!:hmmm:
Now THAT would be interesting!:thumbup:
Slow guys have a shot at the front, fast guys still will manage to work their way up front for the 2nd moto...

If not, then maybe just for the $$$ class:headscrat

I will race whatever...one thing the 2 moto format will absolutley encourage
is racing hard both times. I know I have relaxed or even sat out a heat race to 'save' myself for the main...that would be a no-no.
I've also run heats and finished well, only to be too tired in the main, or missed the main altogether...in the 2 moto format, I'd still manage at least a few points for the weekends festivities.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I voted no for many of the same reasons Art stated.

The pea pick is something I forgot about - not a bad idea.

-Tyler

·
Registered
604 Posts
i voted yes. i think it would be a fantastic idea. some of the others have already stated the simple fact: if your fast, your going to pass people anyhow. it would be a great challenge for the "faster rider" and a great way to shake things up. as for new riders, i think it will attract them to MORE races to keep scoring more points. im sure the rest of you are alot like the guys i travel to the races with, at the end of the day when we report to wives or buddies that couldnt make it out the report is always "well i got a 1 and a 3" refering to the current heat/main format. lets just make it official and moto format it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
rogerb said:
I think Norm is referring to Tom's previous explaination.
Norm?

For those that are consistant, it's a good format.

Other then being different, what's the real pro's and con's of changing the
race format? What are the scoring issues, etc, etc.

I can think of one more plus...say you race your first moto, and BAM! something happens to your scooter?
You still get some points for the event!

What does this do to lap counts? We have usually run shorter heats? Will
both moto's be the same lap count?

....... and yes i was refering to Tom's explanation. Thanks Rog.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My arguments go away if we go with a pea pick race 1.

But ... one of the reasons we went with a heat race gridded by points was to encourage riders to do the whole series and care more about the points.

I used to hate going up to the grid sheets and would only peek with one eye to see where I was gridded. Ask Ryan what he thinks of the random gridding, when we used to do that his "good luck" always had him in the back. Maybe that is why he is so fast now...

G

·
I thought that there were still points for the series with the moto format. I can't see why there wouldn't be, since you have defined overall placing for each class with no ties. It is just calculated from both motos instead of one main.

With there being a local series with no travel, it would be foolish for someone to not chase points. In fact, if I am missing something and people will not be as interested in season points for some reason, you probably won't see much reduction in attendance because it IS a local series without travel.

To sum it up, I think two of the "no's" are "yes" with the pea-pick gridding of the first moto.

·
Registered
604 Posts
so, it sounds like we need clarification on the actual proposal.

two moto format scoring, combined overal score determines podium.

ties go to the person with the better score of the FIRST moto.

first moto gridding to be determined by _______________? pea pick or random order. (this is the part where we need clarification.)

season points are according.....blah blah blah

G

·
Pea pick is time consuming. Random is the push of a button once the code is in place.

I say random.

Every minute counts towards keeping the day moving.

·
Registered
47 Posts
pcassidy said:
I thought that there were still points for the series with the moto format. I can't see why there wouldn't be, since you have defined overall placing for each class with no ties. It is just calculated from both motos instead of one main.
Patrick,

What I meant was that we give the "regular" series riders more reason to care about the points because we grid the heats by points, with the current system. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
pea pick vs. random makes no differences to me its all the same.

I have run this series for five years now and have seen all types of gridding procedures: points, pea pick, random, entry order. I happen to like the current system. It strikes a nice balance of supporting our regular riders, but still gives a new guy a fair chance. My experience is that random grids always seem to start up conspiracy theories, for some unlucky sap that always seems to get stuck way in the back.

My vote is still no, and I would caution that if the decision is made to make the change then maybe it would be a good idea to try it out on the Money class before applying it to all classes. If the majority decide to enact this change (not sure who else is left other than Ryan) I will certainly support the change even if I may not agree with it. But at the moment I see a 4-4-1 tie.

I have to admit that a part of me would like to see how the 2 moto format would play out ...

·
Registered
604 Posts
jakewest1 said:
pea pick vs. random makes no differences to me its all the same.

I have run this series for five years now and have seen all types of gridding procedures: points, pea pick, random, entry order. I happen to like the current system. It strikes a nice balance of supporting our regular riders, but still gives a new guy a fair chance. My experience is that random grids always seem to start up conspiracy theories, for some unlucky sap that always seems to get stuck way in the back.

My vote is still no, and I would caution that if the decision is made to make the change then maybe it would be a good idea to try it out on the Money class before applying it to all classes. If the majority decide to enact this change (not sure who else is left other than Ryan) I will certainly support the change even if I may not agree with it. But at the moment I see a 4-4-1 tie.

I have to admit that a part of me would like to see how the 2 moto format would play out ...

I think we change it for all classes or no classes at all. other than trying to nail a solid format for pre-grid in moto one, which we theoretically could just use the current format, to me it sounds like most people agree it will work.

we could just go random order for the first moto for the first race. even slate.

then go by points.

·
Registered
604 Posts
any descision yet on this change?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
yup.

Based on conversations and input with everybody the decision is the 2 moto format will only be used for the money class. There are pros and cons both ways, but for now we are going to leave everything else as is.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ronwest99 said:
yup.

Based on conversations and input with everybody the decision is the 2 moto format will only be used for the money class. There are pros and cons both ways, but for now we are going to leave everything else as is.
I *think* I know most of these answers but just to make sure we're ALL on the same page please clarify:

Grid for moto 1:
Based on points?
Pea Pick?
"Random" computer generated hocus pocus?

Grid for moto 2:
Based on finish of moto1?
Same as moto1?

Who wins?:
2 race winners ala WSBK

1 race winner from combined points in both motos (Tie breaker based on better finish in moto 2)

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Grid for moto 1:
Based on points

Grid for moto 2:
Based on finish of moto1

1 race winner from combined points in both motos (Tie breaker based on better finish in moto 2)

The only exception will be the first race. The moto 1 grid positions will be determined randomly (with Ryan randomly at the back ;)).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts