SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i kinda want a mini tard to f%$k around with, but im a cheap college student and as usual, have no money.

if i had my way a 150r would be in my garage next to my ktm 525, but when it cost almost as much as my full race bike, not happening.

i have seen th yz 80 chassied ttr125 motor mini. that looks like a cool toy. get the better chassis of the 80, and the 4 stroke motor of the 125. looked like a great compromise, but obviously a lot of work. though i do all my own work(im in for a mechanical engineering degree so that stuff is fun to me)

im trying to decide. the 85 motards are cool, have riden one, and wholy cow that thing was awsome. it had 17's if i got one i would probably go with 17's so i could ride it in the dirt as well as long tracks.
but i am more familier with 4 stroke stuff. even though all the 4 strokes are air cooled(150r doesnt count as its WAY! out of my price range.) how do they do as motards? or to make one of the air cooled 125-150 moors compeetive with an 85 more money then its worth? i know most of the race bikes i see are heavily built, is that what it takes to run with the 85's?

the only other thing i wonder is whats the difference with the bigger minis and the klx110-kx65 tards? i have ridden a 50, and even though i didnt fit at all, it was the most fun i have had on 2 wheels. but at 6'2" and 215 i do fit better on the 85 size bikes.

thanks guys

·
Registered
862 Posts
From what I understand it takes some money to make the four strokes run with the 85's. It cost my $1600 to build my RM and about $6000 to build my 150R. The 85's apparently have about 18-19hp stock and the 125 four strokes are around 12-13 is my guess. I have a drz 125L that I was gonna build until I researched the money and figured out the RM has a higher performance index weighs less and really is quite simple to keep running. I ONLY into four strokes because I knew little to nothing about two strokes and had only tuned and raced four strokes since like 1986. With the resources for advice on tuning and the level of reliability built into modern two strokes they are kinda an easy choice. Do some research you'll find that the maintainance is prety easy and the parts are fewer and reasonably priced.
I'm 6'2" 225 and the 85 has been hauling me around with out fail.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A TTR 125 might have 12-13 hp after a lot of work has been done to it. Its more like 8 hp. But they are a fun bike to play around with.
If you are just messing around you can get about any mini dirtbike and just change out the knobby for a trials tire and you are ready for some parking lot mayham. You really don't NEED 17s.
All the upgrades can come later.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if you know how to ride a 2 stroke, thats the way to go. way cheaper and better suspension. my buddy and i race the last 2 races of the mini motard with dirt section and i got 2nd the first one and 3 rd the next one . he got first at the first one and 2nd at the second one. just stock rims and pilot racing slicks. down the straight away or long sweeping turns they really dont have a chance unless they have tons of motor work, but still the suspension the mini 4strokes have are garbage. but as far as the big bikes four stroke all the way baby.
07kxf250r
03rm85 project mini motard
08 crf150rb

·
The Mod Squad
2,613 Posts
I had to make the same descision. In the end, my objective is to do some racing. So I looked at the class structure for this year and chose a bike that would get me into the most races.

Turned out to be the klx110 or xr80 around here.

I found a great deal on a KLX and I'm working with that. No I don't expect to be winning. But I do expect to have a blast. And if the little bike turns out to be anywhere near competitive. I can build up as I go. Or a can sell it for what an 85 will cost. SO I'm good either way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had to make the same descision. In the end, my objective is to do some racing. So I looked at the class structure for this year and chose a bike that would get me into the most races.

Turned out to be the klx110 or xr80 around here.

I found a great deal on a KLX and I'm working with that. No I don't expect to be winning. But I do expect to have a blast. And if the little bike turns out to be anywhere near competitive. I can build up as I go. Or a can sell it for what an 85 will cost. SO I'm good either way.
i guess the main thing to consider is ,is there a dirt section where you race. cause i sure in the hell would be scared jumping a little trail bike with a 30 foot gap jump .as far as the 85 ,no problem.:bike:

·
Registered
886 Posts
where we race.... all pavement.... "little" klx's can be pretty competetive.... even against built 85's. are they "stock".... no way!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
where we race.... all pavement.... "little" klx's can be pretty competetive.... even against built 85's. are they "stock".... no way!!!!
i seen there was a klx 140 at local kaw shop. but the sales guy said 09 will be the year for kx to come out with 150 or 160r that will be in the same class as the crf150rb, ohhhh zingggggg. cant wait im gonna get one, if this is so but probably should wait to the second year release.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If I were you, I would find a 2003-2007 KLX-110 or Suzuki DRZ-110. The nice part about 110's is the ability to modify and upgrade as the checkbook allows. They are fairly pathetic in stock form, but for a couple hundred dollars become alot more fun. For a couple thousand dollars more they will run with anything out there including the 150R's. I like mine because I'm always the underdog. While everyone else is riding fast bikes fast, I'm riding a slow bike fast enough to keep up. Hell, anyone can take an 85 and slap some wheels/tires on it and go race, but begin with an open-cradle 4.5hp bike and try to outrun them with it. It can be done and it really messes with their heads.

I was selling mine, but it's just too much damn fun. Notice I never mentioned cost though...... Never will as she may someday find one of my posts then I will be living in the garage with my little money pit.

Good Luck,

Dan

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the cost of the 4 strokes is what makes me want to go with the 85. i like the klx110 idea, but by the time id get the 4 speed, clutch, wheels, and build the motor slightly, OUCH!!!!!!
they take an arm and a leg to make themfast from what it seems.

i have an 85 project i am working on for a friend, that i need to figure out how to get working and then ill probably just bum some rides on it off of him.
KTM 85 sx + tz 125 wheels only issue is the fork spacing is too close, i need to find a way to spread the forks, i think having tripples machined might be the only option. unless i can cross reference anything that would have the same size forks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
its true... the klx's, for the most part.... are giant killers.... 138+r's and 143se's run up front in our series against anything.... and i dont even want to add up what i've spent on my klx.... (138+r, 6spd, nsr wheels, kx front end, elka shock.... add it up, if you know what these things cost!! cha-ching!)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Get an XR100, bolt a 16" XR80 front wheel and slap on some Chen Shin tires. Cheap fun!
Amen brother! I have the same setup, some of the most fun I've ever had on a bike i've had on my XR.

If you get the tires from bike bandit, they are less than $20 a piece. Can't go wrong for the money

·
Registered
22 Posts
After reading this thread it looks like I am basically in the same boat. I would like to race, but most of all I want something fun and mini riding looks like fun.

I was leading toward a KTM 65 sx because I wanted a 2s that would move my 240 lb body around. It would seem like the 85 would be better, but I don't really care to race with a bunch of yahoos at the fast speeds that an 85 can reach. I figured a 65 would be plenty fast and plenty of fun without being so slow that it is frustrating.

Now, keep in mind, that I am basing these opinions on no real knowledge at all. I have never ridden any mini so I can't speak first hand for their speed. I just know that I have seen some 85 haulin' @$$ on motorcross tracks with the right riding on top.

So, if you guys wanted to be competitive, where heavy, but didn't want to leaving a flaming trail, would you still go with the 85 or drop back to a 65 and ride with your elbows on your knees?

·
Registered
112 Posts
After reading this thread it looks like I am basically in the same boat. I would like to race, but most of all I want something fun and mini riding looks like fun.

I was leading toward a KTM 65 sx because I wanted a 2s that would move my 240 lb body around. It would seem like the 85 would be better, but I don't really care to race with a bunch of yahoos at the fast speeds that an 85 can reach. I figured a 65 would be plenty fast and plenty of fun without being so slow that it is frustrating.

Now, keep in mind, that I am basing these opinions on no real knowledge at all. I have never ridden any mini so I can't speak first hand for their speed. I just know that I have seen some 85 haulin' @$$ on motorcross tracks with the right riding on top.

So, if you guys wanted to be competitive, where heavy, but didn't want to leaving a flaming trail, would you still go with the 85 or drop back to a 65 and ride with your elbows on your knees?
the 85

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just remember that some of the indoor tracks don't allow 2strokes, (cause of the fumes I guess?).
But you are from Georgia, so thats probably not an issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am getting into SEMRA and I unfortunately have to say that the classes sometimes seem to favor 2 strokes. With the bikes you are looking at (150R or 85) you will be much better off running the 85 in GP85 and SuperMini. For the money, you can't beat them. I have an Pitster Pro X4 with a YX150 and the classes don;t really fit with the available mods ie: 175cc limit for air cooled when there are tons of 178 kits. A punched out 110 for example would seem very competetitive in the 136 thumper class, but then you are 2cc's above their class displacement limit.

Cliff notes: 2 stroke=cheap racing fun (but still I hate to say it)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts