SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of almost new Michelin rain tires left over from my RS250, and I was thinking of using these on my SMR450. The main purpose was for occasional dirt road riding/light street usage, and maybe an occasional rainy track day.

I was always under the impression that full rain tires would last only a few hours in the dry, but motards are so light and underpowered that maybe they would hold up OK. My plan was to try the Pirreli MT-60s, but these look exactly like my Michelin rain tires, so what the Heck.

Any thought on this?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have a set of almost new Michelin rain tires left over from my RS250, and I was thinking of using these on my SMR450. The main purpose was for occasional dirt road riding/light street usage, and maybe an occasional rainy track day.

I was always under the impression that full rain tires would last only a few hours in the dry, but motards are so light and underpowered that maybe they would hold up OK. My plan was to try the Pirreli MT-60s, but these look exactly like my Michelin rain tires, so what the Heck.

Any thought on this?
Well the MT60's will last about 5 to 8 times or more longer than the rains.

Also the rs250 has more HP, but torque tears up tyres too, & your 450 has gobbs of that :thumbup:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I figured the MT-60 would last like 20 times longer.:infrandom

·
6,598 Posts
with the small difference that the MT60's are pretty crappy tyres, they don't do well in dry conditions and I wouldn't even trust them in wet conditions.

I was always under the impression that full rain tires would last only a few hours in the dry, but motards are so light and underpowered that maybe they would hold up OK.
if you think tyres will last longer on a sm compared to a sportsbike just because they don't pack as much power you're in for a surprise... if you're using rain tyres on dry tarmac you won't even get 500 miles out of a rear, and that's streetuse.

check out the dunlop mutants if you want a decent all around tyre, they have a rain tyre like profile but the compound isn't as soft so they'll last you a lot longer.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
OK, what' s Dunlop Mutant called in the US? Not shown on their Website.

_Rich
Never heard of them either :hmmm:
Nether has my vendor/sponsor :headshake

·
6,598 Posts
I did a search and it seems the mutants aren't available in the US, there's a couple of topics about these tyres on here. they are supermoto specific tyres so I guess there's a chance they're not importing em or making them in the US because they figure supermoto still doesn't represent a large enough piece of the complete bike market.

too bad because they really are decent tyres.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts