SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SMjunkies,
I finally got on an SM track but not with my DR650 SM. I did have my bike checked out.
to see what was needed before i'm trackable. Only 3 changes and i'm ready.
  1. silicone all bolts
  2. get carb. fuel catch tank
  3. get tires that WILL heat up

I have been told that my Michelin Road Pilot tires won't absorb heat i.e. won't get sticky
the problem is i can't find the right size for my rear. the Michelins are 150/70 & 120/70

The recommended tire is the dunlop q2 but i can't find a replacement dunlop for the 150/70.

Is there a q2 replacement for the Michelin 150/70 (that fits rim) ?
Or do i need a different rim ? and tire ?

Not urgent but please help
stevemc

·
Registered
124 Posts
i see no reason why your tires wont heat up?

unless these guys want you to run a DOT race tire? im not sure what bike you are on or what rear wheel size you have but if you want it to become really easy to find a rear tire get a 160. i ran dragon crosas on my drz with no problems at all... 160 on a stock drz sm wheel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wide deep grooves is problem

I am not a tire expert and that why i posted.
The Tires are on a susuki dr650 customSM
I think the wide deep grooves in tires disipate the heat in my Michelins.

I really just need to know if 160/70 zr17 can go on a rim that now has 150/70 zr17 tire? i guess ?

I don't want to buy tires and find out they aren't right for the rims. My rear looks wider than front ?

I am guessing that these Dunlops Q2s are my best choice ? --> Dunlop Q2 120/70ZR17 & 160/60ZR17

Any and all advice is appriciated.:hmmm:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Street tires are a different rubber compound, they have different characteristics when compared to a race slick. You can totally run a pilot power on the track just fine, but you'll eventually exceed it's ability as you get faster, then you can start getting race slicks.

160 will fit it you have at least several mm of clearance on each side of the tire, between the chain or the swingarm. Usually a 150 is good for 4.25 and 4.5" rear rims and a 160 is good for a 5" rim.

Pilot powers come in 150's. You can run the 150/60R17 just fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have run pilot powers and power 2ct's 150/60/17 on my 2005 fs650e husaberg on the track and street with no issues. they do heat-up and stick and work great for a track-day tire. I now run continental attack SM tires 150/60/17 and love them. For the track there awsome but On the street they do wear pretty quick compared to the michelin tires.

Calco88 Has it right about tire fitment.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Other then that as a whole your tires will not have quite the grip potential ( I say potential because it is not automatic that race tires would work better for you) they should work okay for you based on the bike you are riding. I have ridden race tracks on street tires a few times and as long as you don't expect them to perform as race tires you should be fine.
The key with ANY set of tires on the track is getting them to their sweet spot temp wise. That is done by adjusting the air pressure in the tires. Typically street tires are designed to operate at lower temp then racing tires but they still have a temp where they deliver their maximum grip. They key is to run the correct air pressure to get them to their best operating temp. They may not generate as much heat as a set of race tires but the notion that they won't absorb heat is a little off. The required air pressure may be a little lower then race tires, to help them generate heat, but probably not too far from typical race tire air pressure.
I generally use the difference between cold pressure and hot pressure to confirm proper air pressure, but you should be able to feel the difference and see the difference as well.

As far as tire size, that comes down to what your rear rim width is. Different people have different preferences, but most tire companies actually list the recommended rim widths for their tires and that would be a good place to start.
If you have a 4.25" rim then most companies make a 150 to fit that. A DOT 160 is usually designed for a 4.5" rim.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rim size and clearence

I found out my rear rim is 4.25 and i don't have much space for a 160 i found a rim=tire size chart PDF i guess
now i just need to find out which tire is best for track and street on a heavy dr650 SM
Street tires are a different rubber compound, they have different characteristics when compared to a race slick. You can totally run a pilot power on the track just fine, but you'll eventually exceed it's ability as you get faster, then you can start getting race slicks.

160 will fit it you have at least several mm of clearance on each side of the tire, between the chain or the swingarm. Usually a 150 is good for 4.25 and 4.5" rear rims and a 160 is good for a 5" rim.

Pilot powers come in 150's. You can run the 150/60R17 just fine.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Michelin Road Pilot and Michelin Pilot Powers are different tires --Michelin Road Pilot are Harder street tires -

·
Registered
286 Posts
I found out my rear rim is 4.25 and i don't have much space for a 160 i found a rim=tire size chart PDF i guess
now i just need to find out which tire is best for track and street on a heavy dr650 SM
I really liked my pilot powers they come in a 150/70 for the rear and 120/65 for the front. (great tire, heats up quick, even on a light 450. will heat up nicely for your dr650). Just got some Contiattack sm's which I'll be mounting next.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Pilot Roads are a street touring tire made for high milage. They will grip just fine but you will find the limit faster than if you were using a hypersport tire like the Pilot Power/ 2ct/ Dunlop q2. I wouldn't use a Pilot Road at the track.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will try to make this very easy. I have a DR 650 myself, with a 4,25" rear rim (albeit with a 2.50 x 19 front rim). 160 will generally be too wide. Allthough this depends on manufacturer. some tires are wide for their size, others are narrow for their size. I really like Continental, which tend to be on the narrow side. Continental RoadAttack2 is one of my favorite tires. Comparable to a Michelin Pilot Road 3CT

You have two options for the rear:
Sport-touring tires: 150/70-17
Sport tires: 150/60-17

Sport-touring tires work just fine on the track. get the right tire-pressure and you should be fine.
I would go for about 2,0 bar (29 psi) in the front and 2,2 bar (32 psi) in the rear.
Tire pressure for a converted bike is always difficult, because manufacturers can't / won't help you out on that.

Let us know what you went for and how the track ride went. Some pictures perhaps?

Greeting,
Thanas

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I know my Pilot Power 2CT's get hot. Next go-round I'm trying some Pilot Pures.

·
Registered
632 Posts
IMHO Pilot Powers are horrible sumo tires.

I've got one on the front of the KTM 520 I bought in Feb. and I hate it. It never feels sticky enough, even at 18-20lbs on a hot day. The damn thing just wont wear out so I can replace it.

On my other bike I've always ran Bt-016's. I put a newer Bt-003rs on the rear (KTM) 2 months ago and love it.

For me the Bridgestone tires feel like cross-training with a pair of broken-in Nike's vs the Pilots which always feel like brand new steel toed construction boots.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

I've got one on the front of the KTM 520 I bought in Feb. and I hate it. It never feels sticky enough, even at 18-20lbs on a hot day. The damn thing just wont wear out so I can replace it.

On my other bike I've always ran Bt-016's. I put a newer Bt-003rs on the rear (KTM) 2 months ago and love it.

For me the Bridgestone tires feel like cross-training with a pair of broken-in Nike's vs the Pilots which always feel like brand new steel toed construction boots.
Have you tried the 2CT's or the Pilot Pures? Much softer edge compounds.

·
Registered
916 Posts

I've had the Pilot Powers, the PP 2ct's and the Pures, great tires when you used correctly IMO.
If you have one on the front and something else in back I think you're asking for trouble.
If you do only track days you're asking for trouble.
If you run pressures too low or too high you're asking for trouble.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts