SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and a complete beginner to bikes too.

I have had a car license for 3 years and am completely bored.
I turn 21 on the 27th November and have been drooling over a DRZ400SM for about a year. Now that funds allow it, I want to do my full bike test via instant access, (inc. CBT!!) and have a DRZ400 by March.

Question 1 : Am I overly optimistic in my timeframe? UK law changes on Jan 19th and would mean a smaller bike for 2 years.

I woke up in a cold sweat the other night as one thing hadn't crossed my mind, maintenance. I have never owned a moped let alone a bike.

So question 2 is : How easy is it to teach yourself basic upkeep? Most things I would take to the dealer but Mods and oil changes i'd want to do. How simple is an oil change?

Apologies if I'm coming across like a right idiot, i'd rather embarrass myself now than waste all my money!

Any help/advice about maintenance/ the bike / the tests would be a huge help.

Thanks very much in advance!

ORINJ

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Maintenance on these bikes are simple, especially on a drz. Oil changes are cake. Get yourself a clymer shop manual once you get the bike, it will have step by step instructions with pictures on how to do anything you need maintenance wise specific to your bike. Take your time, USE A TORQUE WRENCH and double and triple check your work and you will have no issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant, thanks for the help mate. Another question if you don't mind; I'm 5'10", is a DRZ going to be too tall for me to feel comfortable on it? Bearing in mind I'm a beginner. If so, how easy is it to loose a couple of inches off the overall height?

thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm 5' 10” also and ride a drz400sm you shouldn't have any problem with it's height.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am 5'10" as well and my drz is my first bike too. I never had a height issue even off road. And maintenance is a breeze on these things, like they ^^ said get a manual and you'll be set :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts