SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
well its a great bike. idk much about the carb set-up due to the fact that i have f.i. but the motor is the same. check your crank case gasket and head gasket. you will also want to replace the water pump to the updated one for better flow. also i highly recommend replacing the crank case breather. other than just check the usual shit. fork seals....sprokets...etc... its an awesome bike.

just do the slip on exhaust...airfilter....lambda kit...and 16 tooth front sproket n youll be flying.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it were me I would check the valve gaps and pull the oil filter out and make sure there is no metal in it. This is a bitch when you are in front of the guy in his garage or whatever when your looking at it for the first time, but it can be weeelllll worth it. IF i had to pick one of them to do, I would do the oil filter.

Nate

·
Registered
793 Posts
If some piss flap showed up at my house with a bag of rusty wrenches looking to take my bike apart I would tell him to eat a bag of dicks. Unless they came with a new filter, crush washers, o-ring, and a couple litres of oil. Then they could watch me change my oil.
The bag filters would pick anything sizeable up before it made it to the oil filter anyways.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey im here to look at your bike you have for sale.....do you mind if i take it apart.

Get out....

·
Registered
102 Posts
working in the service industry for audi n porsche i cant tell you enough how it important it is to keep all documentation of services done to your bike or car. even if you do the work yourself write down specs take pictures...etc. a bike with service records go a long way.

also a great thing to look for when buying a bike is when you show up at the place of sale wether it be his house or a dealer...look around. see how he take care of his other toys his place. if his shit is all beat up n dirty its most likely true that the bike isnt too great as far as mechanical things are concerned.

just my two cents:anim_peep:

·
Registered
393 Posts
06 is carbed so no lambda. It's a great bike.

Find out if the owner knows when the cam chain was replaced and how many clicks are on the auto-tensioner. If it's up for a new one in the near future don't worry there is info on here on how to change it. It varies based on people banging on them. Mine was replaced around 4k on the bike and i got it about 500 miles after this,and I've got like 7k on it now so I'll be due for a new one soon as well and plan on tackling it myself. The valve checks/adjusting of tappets are pretty easy. This thing should start super easy if it's all in spec. I change my oil every 600 and use shell rotella 15w40 because it's cheap and Goosedog and countless others have good results with more frequent changes and cheap oil.

Full leo vince and pod filter and jd jet kit means it's probably spot on in the jetting and power department and I don't see any smog crap on it. Looks like he's running Gibs plate bracket and I have one on mine as well and love it. A lot of people including myself go to a 14 tooth front to get more go out of it but that depends on what you want to do with it. It looks like it's ready to go romp. Factory rims are light but a little prone to denting if you hit the stairs hard. (Ask me how I know.)

Ride and see if it has a stumble between like 4k-5k rpm on like 1/4 throttle at cruising speeds on your test ride. Some people can't get rid of the stumble in their bikes (I've been trying to get rid of mine.) It isn't a deal breaker but could be annoying to you.

There is a ton of mod info on the 610 mod database sticky at the top of this forum so you can read about what you could do or what may have already been done to the bike but it looks like it already has all the major things taken care of. After that it's just the 5 way valve cut and I heard of some people dicking with cams but I wouldn't mess with anything other than the valve cut and just ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANK YOU!
Yes, cam chain is a big deal (sort of), just to make sure it was done and nothing is slapping around in there. Bikes looks very clean and owner sounds like he knows his stuff too. I'm going to see it tonight after work (in about an hour), can't wait!

·
Registered
393 Posts
No problem good sir.

Judging by the outside he's probably read around to set the bike up and I'd guess he's probably a member here. If not I'd be interested to know how he heard about mnnthbx's post regarding Gibs plate bracket. I was the first guy to confirm it worked on a 610 because I'm local to the guys that made it.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you. I think it's only like $150 or so for the tool you need and cam chain and your time to change it. So it's not a really big investment if it does need that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately I don't think it will work out. The bodywork is not really as clean as expected, tail fender is cut, and little bits and pieces are "rough". I'm usually pretty meticulous with my bikes... but that's not all. There is oil all over the front of the motor, ether from head gasket or from valve covers, I could not tell. Owner said he didn't know it was leaking, but will take in to the dealer this weekend to get it looked at.

There is a manual cam chain tensioner installed as well, no real record of chain change but he thinks it was changed by previous owner and checked out by the dealer. Hard to tell with no paperwork...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think it will work out. The bodywork is not really as clean as expected, tail fender is cut, and little bits and pieces are "rough". I'm usually pretty meticulous with my bikes... but that's not all. There is oil all over the front of the motor, ether from head gasket or from valve covers, I could not tell. Owner said he didn't know it was leaking, but will take in to the dealer this weekend to get it looked at.

There is a manual cam chain tensioner installed as well, no real record of chain change but he thinks it was changed by previous owner and checked out by the dealer. Hard to tell with no paperwork...
That's too bad Nex. I kind of figured that would be the case from his pics on PNW. Looked a bit hacked up to me. The front valve cover leaks all the time, you really need to goop the shit out of it with high temp sealant to keep it from leaking. Not a big problem, but annoying for sure. I'll second for Bill's in Salem, and Tasky's as well up in Everett. I just bought my 09 450 from Bill a month ago. Great guy to work with! :thumbup: There's also South Sound BMW in Fife that's a Husky dealer, Jason there is a good guy too - he's on PNW too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
PS, if you have the time to spare and keep a sharp eye out, go for a 08+ model with FI. You could always take a look at the 630 as well. Husky/BMW is still doing some great financing deals I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts