SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 yz450f that is titled and ready to put on the street as a sportsman setup with stock 21"/19" wheels. Only problem now is I can't decide on a tire. Does any body know if the Maxxis DTR-1 would be any good on the street? I know it's not DOT approved, but that doesn't bother me. I was wondering how well it would hook up on the street. Or does it take a while to get warmed up like a slick? Also what would you recommend, the 27.5x7.5x19" or the 27x7x19".

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I'm confused. I read in another thread where a guy said a cd5 lasted him almost a whole RACE season. Is the cd10 softer?

·
Registered
220 Posts
cd10 is only meant to be on rear wheels, and only for people who plan on using them for a long time. for racing you generally want soft in the front and medium in the rear, street i would do medium up front and hard in the rear.
CD1 = Ultra-Soft compound developed specifically for 120/70-17
CD2 = Soft compound developed specifically for 120/70-17
CD3 = Soft compound
CD5 = Medium compound
CD10 = Hard compound

·
Registered
220 Posts
also, unless you are racing a sportman class i would suggest running a 19" wheel w/ a dtr-1 up front and going for the flat track look. the bike will handle a million times better and you will actually have enough traction to make a big brake kit worth your time & money.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be nice to get a 19" rim up front, but I'm trying to go as cheap as possible since I already have an 525smr. The cd10 sounds like the best choice for the street if I absolutely have to have the DTR-1. Is it gonna stick or will it be slick like a knobbie? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still new to sm. Sold my gixxer1 to get the smr now I'm hooked. I want to sm everything in sight. CR500 in my sights for '09 income tax.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I second that.I have a CD-3 on the rear of the DTX/CRF,and it is stickiest thing you could imagine,doubt it would fare too well on asphalt.The Dunlops seem to run a bit harder,maybe I'm wrong.
The cd-10 will melt like a candle over a fire, on the street.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know in hard and medium compounds they are DOT approved from Maxxis site. I was at a dirt track racing shop today and they told me they work great on the street. My problem is I don't have a 19"wheel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
what size rims are you running? 21x1.6 and 18x2.15? you can get a spoke set for $60 new and a used excel rear rim that came stock on a cr or crf for dirt cheap. you can either do 1.85 wide off a 125 smoker/250f or 2.15 wide off a 250 smoker/450f. this goes to the op aswell. some flat track guys do 1.85 front and 2.15 rear, others do 2.15 front and rear. either way it should be super cheap, and you can run flat track tires front and rear.

·
Registered
220 Posts
also as far as how sticky a tire is, i have knobbies that are almost as soft as my slicks, i get next to no wheel spin on asphalt and they rip thru sand extremely well but they wear super fast. it all depends on what compound tire you buy. if you buy cd10s they will probably be around the same as a tire you would find on a sportbike stock, cd3s will pretty much be slicks with tread cut out on them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with any of the other Maxxis tires??? Maybe the Presa M6118/M6119 combo...they seem to be DOT in either the medium or the soft but not the ultra soft. It says the dtr's are not DOT and i dont want to have yet another reason for jonny law to get me

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on bagz. Thats the the info/answer I was looking for. I'll probably go with the cd10 unless I can find a used 5 or 3 for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
bahaha

those tires won't last a second on the street, they are way to soft.
Not to bring up a dead post or anything but I have been running DTR-1 by Maxxis for 2 years now. One was a hard and the other was a medium compound. Both lasted me more than one season on the road and if I didnt do so many burnouts, the tires would have lasted 2 maybe 3 seasons. They are awesome and once they heat up you can corner like a bastard. I run a 120 in the from and both front and rear are 19inch rims. Any one who thinks they wont last is smoking.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm running one on the rear now and it is a good tire, grippy and wears well, but they don't make a 120-19.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts