SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the GF has expressed interest in getting into supermoto. a dealer has a 2009 crf150 listed for 3349.00. says it includes the $750 honda bonus cash for 08-09 150's

i have a 2009 fz1 that they've offered me $6k for, and they'd cut me a check for the difference.

1st, is that a good price for the 150? if not, anyone have tips on getting them to go lower when a trade in is involved?

thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bringing a trade to the table changes your ability to negotiate greatly. If you were buying with cash you'd certainly get a better deal.

One thing to note though, if you are going to look at putting 17" wheels on the bike, you better make sure you get an RB model instead of the R. You'll need the longer swingarm to fit the rear in. If you're going 12" rims the R will work fine.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i mean it's kinda like cash. i own the fz1 free and clear. i could sell it to someone and come to the table with cash, but then i'd have to pay taxes.

a trade, at least one straight across or me in the positive, i shouldn't have to pay taxes, so there's that to think about

thanks for the tip about the 17's. the front is already a 17. no way to squeeze a 17 out back huh?

looks like i should be able to fit a 110/70 on the stock front wheel. so i'd only have to get a rear for the conversion.

if i went with 12's i'd have to get both wheels.

if i went with an RB it's $1400 more.

oiy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should try to see what they can do with the trade, presenting a trade tells them that you have the asking price without issue and they arent going to be as willing to bring it down much. Personally, I would try and negotiate it down and see if you can still get it for less w/ taxes. Either that or ask for the all expenses including the first service to be covered by the asking price w/ the trade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any particular reason why you are buying from the dealer?

I almost exclusively buy used from private sellers, with the impression that I get a better deal. There are a few crf150r's in the Austin CL that are going for around 2000, i think there might be an rb for 3000.

Also, if your not opposed to 2 strokes, why not a cr80?
It's built on pretty much the same suspension and similar wheels and brakes.
Same seat height I believe.
Same bars definitely.

I recently picked up a cr80rb for 550 that needed some work, and the regular average price for a late model is around 1200-1500 for the rb.

I'd hate to hear you sold an 09 fz1 just to afford something for the gf.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Cozmo, I have to agree with zenit. I think I'd be PM'ing Santiago about his bike (the 150R in the mini classifieds, if it hasn't sold yet), I'd bet you could get that thing shipped to the east coast for about what you're going to pay for that new one. Then figure in the cost of wheels and a brake upgrade on top of that to the new one.

A friend of mine recently picked up a clean '08 big wheel 150R for $1,800. They are out there, and very nice CR85s can be found for $1k or less.

I do understand that doing this may be based on you either selling or trading your street bike.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info guys. used is always an option. not sure i want to deal with shipping a bike across the country.

i don't ride the fz1 hardly at all, so trading it in, would kind of kill two birds with one stone. i could get her out to the track, and i could pad my wallet a little for a 450 for me for next season. as crazy as it sounds, trying to do a private sell on the fz1 is damn near impossible. it's basically brand new with 700 miles and the dealer offered me $6k for it. I have it listed on multiple sites for $6100, for almost a month now and not one single bite. it sounds low, but dealers were advertising these bikes for 6999 all over the place when i bought it, so i'm actually ok with a $6k trade.

this would be a super budget build. she's not interested in going fast, so i figure the stock brakes will be fine for now (although i have my eye on that brembo setup from motostrano) and i'm hoping i can keep the 17" front and put a 110 tire on there. so basically all i'd be doing is a back wheel/tire and some sliders, and then next season start building it up.

anyone know if the front wheel will work?

thanks again.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Buy used already built, you will be surprised how much you have into it after you are done! See if they will buy your bike outright for the $6k then buy one from the classified ads here. And go ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts