SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to avoid spending 300+ dollars on a master cylinder here as I am planning on buying a bigger caliper setup and I want to have sufficient brake pressure(probably BRAKING as I already have the braking rotor & re-locator). I have heard of people actually using sport bike master cylinders instead as you can pick up a brembo unit in clean used condition on ebay for like 50 bucks shipped. What is the advantage of spending the extra 250+ on a specific super moto setup besides having a smaller brake lever....also is the one that someone here recommends?

David

·
6,598 Posts
most sportsbike masters are designed to work with 2 calipers, chances are if you're using a MC that's coming of an R1 for instance you'll have little to no feeling when you squeeze the lever, chances are you'll get full braking with the slighest touch of the lever. if that's what you want you might as well go for it since there are riders out there that actually prefer it this way, if you that's not what you want to end up with you need to look at more specific supermoto MC's and try to find one that compliments your caliper in the way that you want it to.

I went the extra mile on my new bike and switched over from a brembo axial MC (same one they use on the KTM LC4 range) and went with a radial beringer to complete my 6 piston beringer caliper, best decision I ever made as far as my brake set-up goes, unbelievable performance and control.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
ive heard good things about the TRX400 honda quad masters...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I am trying to avoid spending 300+ dollars on a master cylinder here as I am planning on buying a bigger caliper setup and I want to have sufficient brake pressure(probably BRAKING as I already have the braking rotor & re-locator). I have heard of people actually using sport bike master cylinders instead as you can pick up a brembo unit in clean used condition on ebay for like 50 bucks shipped. What is the advantage of spending the extra 250+ on a specific super moto setup besides having a smaller brake lever....also is the one that someone here recommends?

David
theres two things to watch for.
the amount it displaces (bore and stroke).. too large and a slight movement of the lever is full lock.... too small and the lever might move to the bar... theres more leeway here then most will admit (or know).. for the most part, it just effects the feel of the brakes.

the other thing to watch for is the physical size. if the reservoir is built in, it may be too large to clear your handguards. a remote reservoir kinda solves this since you can move it around some to clear.

if you lookup master cyl rebuild kits, they usually have the piston size written in there.. so you can see what you have now, then go find something slightly bigger.. something in the middle of what you have and a R1/busa/etc size is what you want... or just look up the braking master size and match that with some streetbike.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
What MrDude_1 said, it's all about bore and stroke. Once you determine what you need look at
www.yoyodyneti.com/
They have front masters in 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 15mm & 16mm with prices from $90 to $160.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
i got the 13mm brembo from a place called http://www.tawvehicle.com/ for less than 90 shipped!.....i have it with a brembo gp billet and it has excellent,excellent feel......super strong and all that is really needed.......they dont supply the banjo's and i got those from here http://www.oppracing.com/ for $4.00 shipped each.....

·
6,598 Posts
don't waste your money!!! I have the stock master,ss line,motomaster caliper and disk. bleed it well. it has too much braking. if your not careful your faceplant. one finger endos and that's no bullshit. but this is on a crf450
motomaster caliper was designed to work with the stock MC on most bikes, try the same thing with another caliper like my beringer 6 pot and it won't work at all.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My brakes are setup like this...

Braking front rotor, braking relo bracket, stock caliper and master with a SS line and Mercedes Benz brake fluid.

I cut half of my levers off back when my bike was dirt only so I got barely enough lever for two fingers and my bike will out brake both of my buddies 625smc's. They bike has plenty of feel and more then enough power to get the job done. Even on a track no issues.

I also will say, I think the MB brake fluid has something to do with it. I run the same stuff in my R6 and nothing else compares. I have tried Motul, Castrol SRF, AP racing and even the Shell Donax UB brake fluid that we use here at work in the Ferrari's and nothing works as good as the MB fluid. It seems to have a thicker consistency to it, almost like a 5w-30 motor oil versus a 10w-60. I think thats the main reason why it works better. I was planning on getting a sport bike MC for my YZ, but not anymore.

Dont believe me, give it a shot. The MB fluid is only like $15 a liter.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Have a Motomaster 320mm rotor and Motomaster caliper as well. Using a TRX400 master cylinder w/ stainless steel line. One finger stoppies - extremely firm, maybe even too firm. I need to play with it a little more...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts