SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I attended my first (but NOT my last) FREE Advanced Cornering Clinic sponsored FOR FREE by Quantico Drivers Training at Camp Upshur, Marine Corps Base Quantico.

The events are open to current military, former military, dependants, and contractors in DoD, Law Enforcement, and the Intelligence Community.

The intent is to provide free, expert training to make people safer riders. This is NOT a track day. If you do track days or race, you will be right at home, and the event is loosely similar to a MSF ERC in that you are on your bike, riders are coaching you standing on course and riding (think control riders).

Being that I said it is not a track day, it is NOT the MSF either. This is high-performance riding. On my supermoto race bike, I ran easily 60+mph in straights. They emphasize braking, turn-in, line selection, etc.

Days are broken into SPORTBIKE (Thursday), and they allow supermotos in with the sportbikes, and CRUISER and OTHER bikes (Friday).

Gear required is on the website, but it's over the ankle boots, DOT helmet, gloves, long sleeves, and eye protection.

If you use a street legal bike, you need license, registration, and proof of insurance. I rolled up on my supermoto race bike and had to show only Va. D.L. I had a blast, it keeps riders from being stupid on the street, and they are begging for attendees. One of the instructors was from the Keith Code school, and there were various other instructors that are local to MCBQ.

Events run about 1 per month through the majority of the riding season.

For Questions Contact:

Ed Billig
Drivers Training Manager
703 784 2120
[email protected]

Or

Facebook: Quantico Drivers Training

Or

To sign up (any new events populate into the list)

https://www.quantico.usmc.mil/opm/Default.aspx?m=QCA&p=cd&c=81

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed the Link. I cannot speak for Ed himself but he is very reasonable and willing to work with you. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Your link is bad. I think this is the one you're trying to provide:
https://www.quantico.usmc.mil/opm/Default.aspx?m=QCA&p=cd&c=81

And unfortunately, Donovan's only 14. Not old enough to have a permit, much less a license. But thanks for the info in the PM!
Todd is LEO, and Former Military, you are current DoD contractor.

If you have a non-street legal bike, you don't need a registration. Not sure if there is an age restriction or not.... if not, Dono can attend I believe.

Barry

·
Registered
280 Posts
Todd is LEO, and Former Military, you are current DoD contractor.

If you have a non-street legal bike, you don't need a registration. Not sure if there is an age restriction or not.... if not, Dono can attend I believe.

Barry
I'm former military, too. :p

It was just that Webb said he had to show an OL for a non-street legal bike. Donovan can't do that.

OTOH, this is something we could all take together, unless for some reason they consider Todd's RT to not be a sportbike.

Side note: It hit us the other day that come this Christmas, Donovan will have been riding a motorcycle for 10 years!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool... That site is what they use to explain the basic rules. When it comes to track bikes and supermoto they seem fairly open to suggestion.

·
Registered
408 Posts
When did this program start? I've been in Delaware for almost 5 years and never heard of it... I've spent most of this year TDY, and I'm here only for another 2 weeks before I leave on a 100 day TDY again, than I'm moving to KS.... I'd love to attend this :hmmm: Thanks for the info :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a little over a year. This event is amazing. The instructors are awesome and love to see Supermoto's

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ryan...good on you for posting this up here. I just wish I wasn't so dang busy and had more time. It is really a great time...did it once last fall on the Duc and again this Spring on the Dorsoduro. Small Supermoto's shine on the course layouts they provide.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New Slicks have arrived just in time for me to prep for the next event. Forrest Green from Wheeling Cycle Supply continues to be the shit on price and speed of Shipment. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Front tire is mounted. Going to use this Track day as an excuse to practice backing in the bike. Roast the tire Thursday and then show up for more riding Friday on a new rear slick compliments of Wheelingcyclesupply.com Lets ride and show the sportbike bubba's who is really in charge of small and medium sized tracks. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Quantico?? You could all go solve a murder case with the Behavioral Analyisis Unit of the FBI
:laughingr

Sure sounds like a sweet training class. Too bad its on the other side of the country..

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Consider the case solved...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Barry and I will be sneaking out to the range today to see how long we can ride uninterrupted... Depending on if anyone shows up we might be able to get weekend track time. More to come.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Had a great day of riding with Barry and venomousr1993 on board Quantico. We were able to ride the course without any complications or interruptions. I had the opportunity to run a set of Shinko Supermoto slicks provided to me by Forrest from www.Wheelingcyclesupply.com. They performed exceptionally and for the cost cannot be beat. The first session out venomousr1993 snagged a cone with his rear brake lever bent the piss out of it. For the remainder of the day he rode with no back brake attached. The last session ended rather abruptly when the front wheel tucked on venomousr1993 in a long high speed right hander. He managed to walk away from the drop fairly well and so did the bike thanks to the frame sliders. He is now officially out a rear brake lever, foot peg and frame slider. I estimate he slid roughly 70 feet before the bike came to a stop. Sorry no pics of the wreck as I was riding.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Fun times !!! Here is really bad video of me chasing Webb. I thought I took a bunch more, but my camera shut off repeatedly. Batteries!

·
Registered
33 Posts
uard

Below are a few pics of the Aprilia and my gear. Was a great time and though the gear and bike are tore up, I am suprisingly not upset at all. I walked away without a scratch...just some bruises and sore muscles. Had a chance to ride the 450 and thank Ryan for letting me have that opportunity. Honestly, I didn't wan to get off and it was easy to ride compared to my piggy piggy Dorsoduro.

Anyway, I didn't have the best gear, but worked well and kept me safe. The compression jacket under my leather jacket saved my right arm, back and shoulder. My A-stars knee guards were ground down under my dirt riding pants and the boots got tore up pretty good too.

Not sure exactly what happened, but think either I reached the limit of the tires or my right footpeg caught the ground. Felt like the front just washed out..let go immediately and tried to get out from under the bike as it was dragging me across the pavement...once clear it slid another 60-70 feet.

Minor damage...I will call AF1 for a new rear brake lever, right rearstay mount, peg, slider, and spring. I already checked everything else on the bike out today, sanded and smoothed the cheesy plastic handguard, removed the swingarm spool. Once fixed and I have new gear, it'll be rolling again.

Now I want to built a track specific bike.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can take the RMZ out whenever you feel like it brother.

Glad you walked away from that crash virtually unscathed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took my number plate stickers from my old CR250R and threw them on the Ape to cover up the road rash on the back panel

1 - 20 of 31 Posts