SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to order a set of Marchesini Wheels for my 07 SMR.

I was wondering what would be best for my KTM.

Rear
4.50x17
5.00x17
5.40x17

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd go with the 5.0" if it was my bike...which is what I'm currently running. You should have plenty of swingarm to tire clearance and the tire profile with a 5" rim and a 160 tire is spot on. There's my two cents I guess!

·
Registered
260 Posts
i have a 5.5. it rubs a little on the chain and is a pain in the ass, but imo it is well worth it. more ruber on the ground the beter. but if your going to be just cruisen i would go with a 5 inch.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I run a 5.0 on my SMR cause that is what it came with, the newer DUNLOP Sumo spec 170 fits right on has not issues with rubbing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
5" here with a 160 Pilot Power on an 07 525 EXC
I had problems with the tire hitting the chain. In the end I switched to a non o-ring chain and shaved the edge of the tire a little.... No more chain rub.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome!!

Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
681 Posts
i have a 5in on my 450smr and i personally think its too wide. i have a 160 conti road attack on there and i have clearance issues. only problem is that when i get a smaller wheel (4.25) the 160 will ride different. my ducati has a 4.5 and i use the same exact tire on the ktm and the ktm tire looks to have a better profile, where the duc looks like its too narrow. when i was using the stock 170 slick, the chain would hit the wheel really bad, and chewed up the whole way around, but with the 160 conti i have no issues with it hitting the wheel but i do have a nice little "X" pattern all the way around the tire.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would think a 5 inch rim could handle a 170 tire no? I run a 160 on my 4.25 inch marchesini, and a 160 on a 4.5inch excel.

·
Registered
681 Posts
it will depend on the tire itself. my 160 conti road attack barely fits. i had to have the tire a little bit off straight to keep it from rubbing the chain constantly. in all honesty, i probably moved the tire over 2-3 mm where it would have hit the chain.

but every tire is a little different. the 170 slick i pulled off is narrower than the 160 i replaced it with. i plan on keeping it a 160 because now i only have to remember one rear tire size for both my bikes.

edit: i just read your post again and i dont think its a problem with the size of the rim trying to run a 170 tire, but rather a clearance issue between the tire and the chain.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope my rims dont hit the chain....lol

It has 5.00 on there right now soo i dont think there would be much of a differance.

·
Registered
681 Posts
if you have a 5in rim on there now and its not hitting that rim you should be fine. i honestly dont think the chain will hit the rim anymore now that i have the wider tire on there. the old tire i had was the stock 170 slick and it is a good bit narrower than the 160 conti thats on there now. the chain does hit the tire just a bit, enough to put a "X" pattern on the tire in 150ish miles, but it hasnt hit the rim anymore that i have noticed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts