SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently bought a 2002 Honda xr650r. I purchased the kit to make it road legal (headlights, signals, brake light, horn, mirror etc.)

I drive down to the DMV with my title so i can get it titled for the road, get a temp plate and get it inspected so i can get my baby on the road.

After over 2 hours, i left with nothing. The dmv told me i CAN NOT make the bike road legal. Something about how the title is branded "off road" and can never be made into a highway use title.

Spoke to the superviser and many clerks.... still nothing.

Anyone on here live in Kansas? And has made there dirt bike street legal? I need some help, because im stuck. If i cant, i guess i cant, but just to figure this out i guess so i can plan my next move.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If your title has the dreaded "Off Road use ONLY", or, Not For Highway Use" on it, then you are pretty much shit out of luck. I have heard alot of second-hand stories about people using titling services to get road legal titles for bikes like this, but have never met the actual person. It's always a friend of a friend, or, "I know this guy online that did it..."

Good luck man, I really hope someone else chimes in and proves me wrong.

·
Registered
68 Posts
xr650r

OPCOCRG on the boards has an xr650r that he bought from KS that was street legal. He didn't do get it street titled but call the highway patrol and talk to a couple different troops and see what they say. Worse case scenario you will have to "sell" it to someone in another state to have them street title it, then "buy" it back. There will be a fee for this of course. Hope you can get it straightened out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts