SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Last week i finally decided to find out for myself what it takes to make a OHM (Off Highway Motorcycle) street legal in Minnesota. Not sure how may others out there would find this useful but It took me some time digging through state and off road regulations to find out exactly what I needed to do. Even after that I had to explain to the woman at the DMV what forms I had to fill out and what she needed to do to get me plates for my '03 WR450 and '78 TS125. Since I haven't seen this specific set of instructions anywhere I figured I would share as it is extremely easy.

First step. Do not attempt to get your Tard titled in Minnesota, you will be wasting your time and you can't legally do it anyway. In Minnesota, only bikes that come from the factory with road legal status can be titled. You may be asking yourself, "But how am I suposta get plates if I can't get a title for my tard?" but have no fear as MN has a work around for this. In Minnesota all you have to do is register your tard for trail use, brings some components up to regulations, and then go get your plates at the DMV. Best part, you don't even have to pass the dreaded inspection and you can do all the paperwork business in a single trip.

1.) As i already mentioned, don't try to title your tard, you will be wasting your time.

2.) Fill out the MN DNR Universal Registration Form that can be found HERE. This is the form you will need to register your Tard for Trail use in Minnesota. The registration will last for 3 years.

3.) Fill out a PS2000-42 form that can be found HERE. The PS2000-42 is the standard title/registration form you fill out when transferring a car title. You will only need to fill out section A of the PS2000-42 form as you are only registering your tard and not titling it.

4.) Fill out a PS30399-01 form that can be found HERE. This form is a check list that you will have to sign and date stating that you have made all the necessary modifications to your Tard to make it street legal. The form in not an all inclusive list of things that you need to be aware of but really are the only things you would get pulled over for. There will also be a section where you will need to write down your MN DNR trail registration information.

5.) Bring all the paper work to the DMV and have them process it for you. First do your trail registration, this will cost $38.50 but it will last 3 years. Then with the registration information that you have just received, finish filling out the PS30399-01 form and have them process it to get your plate and stamps. This will cost $24.50 which includes a plate, tabs, and a motorcycle fee. $14.50 is the annual registration.

In all it took me about an hour of filling out paper work and waiting at the DMV to get my plates. Hope this helps to get a few more people on their way ripping around in MN. To the best of my understanding, the mods to make a Tard street legal in MN are on the PS30399-01 form even though it states it in not all inclusive. These are: HI/LO headlight, Brake/Tail Light, at least 1 review mirror, a horn, compliant tires, Pegs if you have a passenger (not a requirement if you don't), and a compliant muffler.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I went through the exact process a couple months ago to get my WR450 street legal. Very easy to do. I walked in to the DMV and had to walk them through the process because they had never heard of it or done it before. Sometimes living in MN is nice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, process is too easy, buddy had plates on his kx450 before lights or anything. Quick tip, refer to your bike as an off road motorcycle or something like that, for some reason they frown upon the term dirt bike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I went through the exact process a couple months ago to get my WR450 street legal. Very easy to do. I walked in to the DMV and had to walk them through the process because they had never heard of it or done it before. Sometimes living in MN is nice. :thumbup:
Sometimes it is nice. If you can get past the temp extremes(-40F to 100F) I would argue that Duluth is one of the best places to live.:thumbup:

Yup, process is too easy, buddy had plates on his kx450 before lights or anything. Quick tip, refer to your bike as an off road motorcycle or something like that, for some reason they frown upon the term dirt bike
+1 on this. For some reason they get their panties in a bunch over it. The term they actually use in the forms is Off Highway Motorcycle. Maybe it has something to do with the small differences between "race" bikes and "trail" bikes like; spark arrestors, exhaust noise/emissions and lighting? Even then it shouldn't make a difference because you are signing forms stating that everything has been brought up to the standards needed to operate it on the street, so who cares what it started as? They must just get hung up on the thought of a dirt bike being an off road vehicle even tho you've made it street legal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transferring Registration

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but does anyone know the process of transferring the license plate registration for street tards in MN? I know the DNR trail registration must be switched and that is easy, but what about the plates?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has any one done this recently?I'm thinking about buying a CRF125F to plate just for bombing around town.If it can't be done anymore I won't waste my time effort or money trying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I got a title in the mail yesterday.I was told I wouldn't get one.Huh.
Did you end up doing much a conversion on your bike?

I recently picked up a great 1984 XR250r and would love to get it going on roads but don't want to mod it too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did all the required mods but since there is no inspection you can do as little as you want.Until you get pulled over for equipment violations.I don't know if you can even do it without the MSO.I had mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did all the required mods but since there is no inspection you can do as little as you want.Until you get pulled over for equipment violations.I don't know if you can even do it without the MSO.I had mine.
Right on. Mind sharing any of the mods you went with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I have another street legal mini and I just stole the Baja Designs street legal kit off of it.Headlight with high and low beam,tail light with brake light,turn signals,horn,a mirror though I can't see a damn thing in it.Just there to look legal.I am actually just running the dirt tires on it.I plan on doing 12" rims with TT92 motard tires on it over the winter.I found the rim kits just gotta find some one that can lace them up for me.I'll post a picture of the bike as soon as I figure out how.It pretty much looks factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all,

Last week i finally decided to find out for myself what it takes to make a OHM (Off Highway Motorcycle) street legal in Minnesota. Not sure how may others out there would find this useful but It took me some time digging through state and off road regulations to find out exactly what I needed to do. Even after that I had to explain to the woman at the DMV what forms I had to fill out and what she needed to do to get me plates for my '03 WR450 and '78 TS125. Since I haven't seen this specific set of instructions anywhere I figured I would share as it is extremely easy.

First step. Do not attempt to get your Tard titled in Minnesota, you will be wasting your time and you can't legally do it anyway. In Minnesota, only bikes that come from the factory with road legal status can be titled. You may be asking yourself, "But how am I suposta get plates if I can't get a title for my tard?" but have no fear as MN has a work around for this. In Minnesota all you have to do is register your tard for trail use, brings some components up to regulations, and then go get your plates at the DMV. Best part, you don't even have to pass the dreaded inspection and you can do all the paperwork business in a single trip.

1.) As i already mentioned, don't try to title your tard, you will be wasting your time.

2.) Fill out the MN DNR Universal Registration Form that can be found HERE. This is the form you will need to register your Tard for Trail use in Minnesota. The registration will last for 3 years.

3.) Fill out a PS2000-42 form that can be found HERE. The PS2000-42 is the standard title/registration form you fill out when transferring a car title. You will only need to fill out section A of the PS2000-42 form as you are only registering your tard and not titling it.

4.) Fill out a PS30399-01 form that can be found HERE. This form is a check list that you will have to sign and date stating that you have made all the necessary modifications to your Tard to make it street legal. The form in not an all inclusive list of things that you need to be aware of but really are the only things you would get pulled over for. There will also be a section where you will need to write down your MN DNR trail registration information.

5.) Bring all the paper work to the DMV and have them process it for you. First do your trail registration, this will cost $38.50 but it will last 3 years. Then with the registration information that you have just received, finish filling out the PS30399-01 form and have them process it to get your plate and stamps. This will cost $24.50 which includes a plate, tabs, and a motorcycle fee. $14.50 is the annual registration.

In all it took me about an hour of filling out paper work and waiting at the DMV to get my plates. Hope this helps to get a few more people on their way ripping around in MN. To the best of my understanding, the mods to make a Tard street legal in MN are on the PS30399-01 form even though it states it in not all inclusive. These are: HI/LO headlight, Brake/Tail Light, at least 1 review mirror, a horn, compliant tires, Pegs if you have a passenger (not a requirement if you don't), and a compliant muffler.

Cheers
I know this is a bit old but thinking about turning my 450 into a tard my question is when filling out “section A of the PS2000-42“ do I have to fill out engine number and VIN on the top right of the form or is that null when pertaining to the dual registration process? I know I have to put VIN when filling out the check list on the “PS30399-01 form” Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
DMV's new computer system is broken.

I just had my application refused because their new $97,000,000 can't figure out how much to charge me. I tried calling the main DMV number but you just get a message that their call volume is too high try late and it hangs up.
Soooo.... I called the DPS internal affairs number and got through to a supervisor who seemed very familiar with the process and said he is going to call me back with a response.
In case anyone else is having the same problem- here is the wepage for complaints that got me through to actually people right away:
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ia/Pages/complaints.aspx

Good luck to all, I'll post a follow up later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts