SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking over the bike after the last track day and noticed that the underside of the handlebars on the left side was wet. Further inspection revealed that the plunger assembly and rubber guard on my Magura Hydraulic clutch was wet too with the mineral oil. I figured the resorvoir might be low, so I started to take the screws out to check fluid level, but fluid overflowed right out of the top of the resorvoir. I closed it up and worked the clutch which seems to be fine. This is the 1st bike i've had w/ a hydro clutch...is this normal? I never noticed it before, and the only thing I have done lately is put a slipper on the bike......2008 Husky 510 SMR.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parts unlimited sells the master cylinder repair kit, so anyone can get them.
Thanks Josh, but after searching, I haven't found anyone else with this problem......I assume rebuilding this would be the same as rebuilding a brake M/C?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Yeah, there were a couple people on CH with the problem. It seems pretty rare though. From the looks of it the repair seems simple.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never bled a clutch....any idea whether it's harder than bleeding brakes or the same idea?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I rebuilt my clutch master back in the winter. Rebuild kit was like $30. It was doing the same thing as you described. What I read recommended back bleeding up from the slave with a syringe. It worked for me.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rebuilt my clutch master back in the winter. Rebuild kit was like $30. It was doing the same thing as you described. What I read recommended back bleeding up from the slave with a syringe. It worked for me.
Pm me the info regarding the rebuild kit please.....Partsunlimited does not seem to carry any rebuild kits for them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the same bike and mine does it as well. It's been doing it for about 8 months but it is such a slow leak that I haven't even had to add any fluid in that amount of time. I will fix it one of these days. Let me know if the rebuild kit works.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks Josh, but after searching, I haven't found anyone else with this problem......I assume rebuilding this would be the same as rebuilding a brake M/C?
It's still a m/c, whether it's pushing fluid to calipers or clutch rod, only the ratio changes. Nothing special needed, though snap ring pliers help. Definitely not something anyone wants to fail.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's still a m/c, whether it's pushing fluid to calipers or clutch rod, only the ratio changes. Nothing special needed, though snap ring pliers help. Definitely not something anyone wants to fail.
Thanks, I will probably buy the rebuild kit and get to it one of these days....

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
I think what might have happened was this:
When you put your slipper in, the clutch assembly might be sitting slightly closer to the engine than the oem clutch due to the different spacing/spacer needed between the basket and back of the clutch. When you installed it, the clutch push rod could be pushed back slightly. In turn, that pushes the piston back into the slave housing a bit. Well that excess fluid has to go somewhere and if your MC was full, it can't go anywhere but out of the system. And the easiest place for it to go out would be out of the seals on the plunger.
This seems to happen sometimes with aftermarket clutches (mostly auto clutches from what I've read). It doesn't always mean there's a huge problem. In your case it only displaced a little bit of fluid. Some folks who installed auto clutches had to shorten the clutch push rod a bit for proper function of the clutch. Though I haven't heard of anyone who had the opposite problem (having to make a longer push rod for proper function), nor have I heard of a slipper install that required shortening of the push rod. So I would think yours was just barely different than the oem, only causing some fluid displacement.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
I have the same bike and mine does it as well. It's been doing it for about 8 months but it is such a slow leak that I haven't even had to add any fluid in that amount of time. I will fix it one of these days. Let me know if the rebuild kit works.
What are the symptoms of your clutch woes? Losing fluid but don't need to refill? :headscrat How does the lever feel, does it actuated the clutch properly as you squeeze?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think what might have happened was this:
When you put your slipper in, the clutch assembly might be sitting slightly closer to the engine than the oem clutch due to the different spacing/spacer needed between the basket and back of the clutch. When you installed it, the clutch push rod could be pushed back slightly. In turn, that pushes the piston back into the slave housing a bit. Well that excess fluid has to go somewhere and if your MC was full, it can't go anywhere but out of the system. And the easiest place for it to go out would be out of the seals on the plunger.
This seems to happen sometimes with aftermarket clutches (mostly auto clutches from what I've read). It doesn't always mean there's a huge problem. In your case it only displaced a little bit of fluid. Some folks who installed auto clutches had to shorten the clutch push rod a bit for proper function of the clutch. Though I haven't heard of anyone who had the opposite problem (having to make a longer push rod for proper function), nor have I heard of a slipper install that required shortening of the push rod. So I would think yours was just barely different than the oem, only causing some fluid displacement.
JR, you might be right. That would explain why the resorvoir was completely filled to the brim and overflowed when I started to take the lid off. I might pull the lid and take a little bit of oil out of it and keep an eye on it. thanks guys:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
JR, you might be right. That would explain why the resorvoir was completely filled to the brim and overflowed when I started to take the lid off. I might pull the lid and take a little bit of oil out of it and keep an eye on it. thanks guys:thumbup:
Why bother? It's just more fluid. More fluid=slower heat buildup. If ya have the space why not use it

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why bother? It's just more fluid. More fluid=slower heat buildup. If ya have the space why not use it
Apparently, I don't have enough space....hence the reason why it's seeping from either the lid seal or the plunger o-rings.....I would rather take a little bit out and relieve some of the pressure than keep the pressure on the sealed system...:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts