SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the interest would be here. As far as I am aware of only US manufacturer of SM, MX, XC and Enduro bikes. From what I've read Cannondale based 4-strokes, bugs ironed out by German engineers? Also have some badass 700 and 620cc 2-stroke Maico based monsters. Personally the thought of a 700cc 2-stroke w/17's and 320mm rotor up front makes my nipples hard. What do you think?(about the bike's that is). Feedback Please.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I was looking @ a 600cc Rotax powered SM ATK in 2000 when I bought my XR650r. In hindsight, I wish I would've bought it. It was $1000 more expensive than the XR, but it was set up full SM already.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Stuff

I think they're really cool but since I don't know anyone who has owned one I wouldn't take the chance...but I'm a wimp when it comes to spending money.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Rotax motors are solid. they use them in light aircraft and such. about as reliable as a 5 horse briggs and stratton in stock form.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would go for either one now that they have fixed the old cannondale engine. I had a c-dale and woul dhave put it up against any stock 450 honda,yamaha,etc had smooth strong power and never had any trouble with mine could have just been good luck. And far as the 700 sweet would love to have it woul dhave strong low end with such a large bore and rip your arms off when you open it up

·
Registered
106 Posts
There's alot of diehard Cannondale people that have put alot of hard work into making them right. I'm sure ATK would stand behind their product 100%.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
The 700 CC with 17's :thumbup: :thumbup: I read a report and they said it had the torque of a big 4 stroke....:hmmm: Dunno If the bike would make my nipples hard....:headscrat but it would be a gas to rack that thing on a racetrack:D

·
Registered
632 Posts
I owned an ATK waaay back (almost 20 years ago now) when it was still an 'engineers' bike - it had the chain rollers, high-up airbox, side-mount shock and a few other oddities. It was a fantastic hare srcambler, esp. with the airbox way up high on one side. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one, and 700cc of goodness would be a lotta fun.

They make a four stroke sumo if you check out thier site at http://www.atkusa.com. I've emailed and sadly, because I live in the Repulik of Kalifornia, they're not street legal. However, they indicated that at some point they expected to have 50 state legal sumos. I'm keeping an eye on them and if/once they are 50 state legal I'll be adding one to my garage again.

I sure do miss that old '89 250....

·
Registered
108 Posts
As the owner of 2 '03 c'dale x440's that were traded in on an '05 ATK 450MX

The bike platform itself had great potential, and Was the 1st to have fuel injection. It took me hours of tinkering to get the bikes to run decent, and ultimately I gave it up due to lack of aftermarket parts. The funds from the sale bought me a near showroom clean, '03 525SX.

Looking back... I should have bought the ktm sooner..

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
As a former owner of a 1997 605cc that I motarded and someone who knows the factory service tech from ATK (They ARE based here in Utah afterall) I would give me synopsis as such.

1. The engines are dead solid and really cool in an old sort of way, if you like cam belts. The whole design was really cool on my bike with the tube back frame and such but it was a bit heavy with the steel swingarm and kickstand and frame.

2. Finding supermoto wheels will not happen I had to butcher the stock rims for the hubs and had a heck of a time finding replacement wheels to run in the dirt.

3. If you are looking at the new ATK (basically the old Cannondale) you are looking at a bike that is 15 lbs heavier, at least, than a Jap. bike. And...you're looking at $2000 to upgrade ("fix") the engine, mostly crank issues that Cannondale gave up on.

If I had to do it again I'd keep my ATK605sm convernited bike and upgrade the suspension and such. It was one unique animal even if it was heavy. Now if ATK came out with something more unique than Cannondale's design or something with a tube frame I'd be all over it. I'm American afterall.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Milk crate????

I have only ever ridden one ATK, brand new 406 buddy bought back in like 83-84?(long time ago). Was a nice bike, I owned an RM250 at that time. Was looking more for input on current model's. I have never had opportunity to ride a Cannondale. Personally I prefer the looks of the older models. Your 97 for instance looks to have been a very nice bike. I assume it was sold because you grew tired of falling over at every stop? May just be the angle, but you appear to be very short for that bike?:infrandom :rofl: Have a great New Year Mr.Angelo

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
LOL...you are a funny guy. I enjoy a good joke! Ha-ha.

It's actually my young cousin. Check out the photo where he's flossing/showing off his big fat roll of $1 bills! Classic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apologies

I thought that was you with the wad of cash you got for that nice ATK. Do you miss it?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I def miss it. I still think its one of the most unique and coolest looking bikes out there. It was just dated. I was just remembering last night the issues that held it back: hard time shifting from first to second gear, hard seat that was way too high off the ground even with the 17s on. It didn't idle very well at all. Those were the big irks I had. I wish I could have afforded to keep it. I'm going to get me something I can ride on street and track on occasion at this poitn.

·
Registered
179 Posts
late 90's they had a cool rotax powered flat track bike.
I bet it would be great on the street but not a new ATK.
Wonder if can am is coming back?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
those are the stock side panels with some trimming with a cutting wheel and hand grinder and some sanding blocks. For the muffler I bought a universal White Bros did some cutting and grinding to make the angle I wanted and then paid $15 to have a welder weld it up and it fit flush and perfectly. I then had the entire system polished up. I had the swingarm off while I was welding the kickstand mount as it had a crack and just had it powdercoated and replaced the bushings where it mounts. I fitted and Acerbis front fender and KTM no. plate with a hole cut out for my custom single headlight I purchased from Wal Mart and mounted with some small alum stock and tapping into the lower triple. Any other questions just send me a PM.

You an also see I installed blue, braided plastic hose protector over most of the oil and gas lines and I repainted the engine sidecovers as well as had the cam belt cover powder coated and installed some nice bars.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts