SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks. I figured Id start a thread for my girl Lucy. So far I have had her for about three months. I have 14xxx miles and was fortunate enough to get her from someone that cared greatly for her (Manager from Ktm dealer owned it for 90% of its life). It has a full fmf exhuast, uni airfilter, ktm twins fan switch/thermostat (lower temp) and aftermarket seat. I recently purchased a ktm tank bag for commute but need a tail setup. Im thinking a rack and small pelican case. I commute 90% and canyon carve 10%.
2008 Ktm 690 smc by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

2008 Ktm 690 smc-4 by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

2008 Ktm 690 smc-3 by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

2008 Ktm 690 smc-2 by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

ktm with tank bag by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

Tax return came in so time to tune her up! :bannana:

Front tire is toast. Since I commute more than I canyon carve Im thinking Mechelin Pilot Road 2s?

Oil change what ever the manual calls for.

Black Asv shorty levers. Stock levers are uncomfortable and I greatly dislike long levers.

Power source for cell phone/ect.

Mirrors that mount under bar. I liked crg on my gsxr but they dont make a bar clamp?

Any other recommendations? Feel free to throw your 2cents in! I will have photos whenever things are changed!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I saw a rear rack available that bolts instead of the stock hand-rails, probably search for the enduro model.
Great pics. :clap:
Thanks! There deff is. Just narrowing down the best one to mount a pelican case to and doesn't look bad when nothings on it haha. Wanna keep some bling factor even though I commute on her most the time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
this is how i mounted my mirrors, ktmtwins has quite a few options for luggage/storage too

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is how i mounted my mirrors, ktmtwins has quite a few options for luggage/storage too

I still find it hard to believe that they havent developed a bar clamp model. Come on crg dropping the ball here haha

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I moved over interfaces for top box from old rack and use top box I had, admit looks like shit but very practical. Try not to load it too much, maybe 5-6kg. That said, the rear should be dimensioned to carry a pillion weighing 10-15 times that, not that far back though but still.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I moved over interfaces for top box from old rack and use top box I had, admit looks like shit but very practical. Try not to load it too much, maybe 5-6kg. That said, the rear should be dimensioned to carry a pillion weighing 10-15 times that, not that far back though but still.

That thing is massive haha. Looks like its well over 15lbs. So I have narrowed it down to this case size pelican 1500 - interior dimensions 16.75 x 11.18 x 6.12" (42.54 x 28.4 x 15.54cm) (WxDxH) weight 7.05lbs. My macbook pro dimensions come to:
Height: 0.95 inch
Width: 14.35 inches
Depth: 9.82 inches
Weight: 5.6 pounds
That puts me in at 13lbs +/- and plenty of room for a textbook and some clothes. I feel like rear end should beable to support more than 15lbs seeing as it supports a passenger back there ha

·
Registered
62 Posts
That thing is massive haha.
My excuse is I never actually bought it, it was included when bought a FZ1 way back so had it laying around :) Good luck.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hey folks. I figured Id start a thread for my girl Lucy. So far I have had her for about three months. I have 14xxx miles and was fortunate enough to get her from someone that cared greatly for her (Manager from Ktm dealer owned it for 90% of its life). It has a full fmf exhuast, uni airfilter, ktm twins fan switch/thermostat (lower temp) and aftermarket seat. I recently purchased a ktm tank bag for commute but need a tail setup. Im thinking a rack and small pelican case. I commute 90% and canyon carve 10%.
2008 Ktm 690 smc by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

2008 Ktm 690 smc-4 by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

2008 Ktm 690 smc-3 by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

2008 Ktm 690 smc-2 by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

ktm with tank bag by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

Tax return came in so time to tune her up! :bannana:

Front tire is toast. Since I commute more than I canyon carve Im thinking Mechelin Pilot Road 2s?

Oil change what ever the manual calls for.

Black Asv shorty levers. Stock levers are uncomfortable and I greatly dislike long levers.

Power source for cell phone/ect.

Mirrors that mount under bar. I liked crg on my gsxr but they dont make a bar clamp?

Any other recommendations? Feel free to throw your 2cents in! I will have photos whenever things are changed!
Also in North County with a Husqvarna 610sm. Use it for commuting also. I am running Dunlop Roadsmart up front and going to get about 9000 miles out of it. Have a Michelin Pilot Road 3 and will get about 5000 miles from it. Both good tires for commuting.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also in North County with a Husqvarna 610sm. Use it for commuting also. I am running Dunlop Roadsmart up front and going to get about 9000 miles out of it. Have a Michelin Pilot Road 3 and will get about 5000 miles from it. Both good tires for commuting.
So far the Pilot 2 is breaking in well. I will probably toss one on the rear once my current pilot pure withers away. How are you carrying your stuff for commute?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
the crg blindsights is what I use for my mirrors.

This is an old pic of my bike but you get the idea.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the crg blindsights is what I use for my mirrors.

This is an old pic of my bike but you get the idea.

How do you like the mirrors mounted there? Im thinking about going with the crg hindsights. The 3in mirror. My left mirror got taken out by a guy in a huge truck closing gap and almost taking my head off with his tow mirriors out. Jerk..

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
How do you like the mirrors mounted there? Im thinking about going with the crg hindsights. The 3in mirror. My left mirror got taken out by a guy in a huge truck closing gap and almost taking my head off with his tow mirriors out. Jerk..
I Like the location. They are out of the way but still work just fine. I end up having to look under my armpits. You can't see really far with them but they work just fine to see what's immediately behind you and anything within 1 block.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Like the location. They are out of the way but still work just fine. I end up having to look under my armpits. You can't see really far with them but they work just fine to see what's immediately behind you and anything within 1 block.
The stock mirriors on our 690s are horrible haha. Vibrating to heck 45mph+. I mostly need them for highway to keep an eye on my tail so sounds like they are my next purchase

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Recent update on Lucy. She just got a rear tire. Went with the pilot road 2 since the front is holding up so well and has stuck plenty fine on trips to palomar and de luz ect.
Just tapped 17,500miles! So starting to do some maintence on her.

Chain and sprocket have been ordered. Went with supersprox 16/43 since no 42 in stock till august. Got black and orange. Hope that gear ratio will be good for around town and daily commute.

Does anyone know a good place to get valves adjusted in San Diego North County?

Any thing else I should be doing at 17,500 miles?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know its been a while and I have been off line but hey that means I have been logging miles on the supermoto :D

19,168 miles
-Oil/filter change
-Brake pads F/R changed Ebc Sintered HH and full brake line flush

Ordered for this next week (dreaded tick tick from motor) :headscrat
-NGK Iridium Sparkplug LKAR8AI-9
-ROCKER ARM INTAKE CPL. | 07
Part # 131307005598
-ROCKER ARM EXHAUST CPL. | 07
Part # 131307005597
-Hot Cams Valve Shim Kit 10.0mm OD - 2008 KTM 690 SMC
-Bike Master Dual Reading Feeler Gauge Set - 32-Blade Combination

In the OEM parts catalog it says that Rocker arms:
(replaces part #
75036061044)
and
(replaces part #
75036060044)
^ Did they update and fix old rocker arm issues with the bearings????? Hopefully SO!!!! Then I can button her up and call it good :bannana:

Any thing else I should be doing at the nearing the big 20,000 mile marker???

Also have ASV shorty levers on the way too!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I finally got to my valves and rocker arms. I got everything within spec. The exhaust side is 0.08mm and the inlet is 0.09mm :clap: Rockers had some light wear so I went and replaced both since I had them. Haven't started it since I'm waiting on my K&N RX-5179 air filter to come in and then Ill be taking her straight to local ecu programmer to get akrapovic map loaded. Too poor for the vortex but that is high on priority list. Here is a picture of the rockers and the plug at 19,300miles. :headshake Sorry for the iPhone pictures Ill use the Dslr next time
How do these rockers look?

IMG950259 by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

IMG_5383 by lhansonphotography, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 72 Posts