SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want a KTM 500 exc, and then get the supermoto parts from KTM.. I've test ridden the bike on dirt tires in a parking lot (didn't have my M class at the time). And from what I could see, it's an awesome bike. I've ridden dirt bikes for a long time, but have never owned my own. I would buy it brand new. I love the power and don't want something slow. I also want to be able to do technical offroad excursions with just a tire and brake swap. Is this a good pick? I won't be commuting far at all. Maybe 5 miles, I just want something fun, and pretty reliable.

·
Registered
815 Posts
First bike is a 500exc? hmmmm.

as far as it being good, it's not. It's the best dirt focused dual sport, ever. I've had pure offroad bikes to race that weren't this good. That being said, there are plenty of great choices that are much cheaper, as a first bike....but it's your money, get what you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm completely comfortable with the price. That's not an issue. I just want a supermoto and an offroad machine in one. Just concerned with reliability. And didn't know what other bikes people would suggest

·
Registered
9 Posts
500 EXCs are awesome.

You've made a good choice. I'm picking mine up when my car finally sells and I'll be using it as a supermotard for the street/bit of racing every now and then and maybe some dirt. Don't worry about reliability you're only doing oil changes every 15 hours or 500-600 miles (depending on how much dirt you do), valve clearance checks every second oil change and real engine work every 135 hours. So it's not bad at all.

Just don't buy genuine KTM wheels though, can get better for the same price or cheaper. Your biggest decision is if you want to run a axial mounted front calliper (bolt straight on with Berringer six-pot being the best choice) or radial front calliper (need 450 SMR 100mm radial mount fork lower and four-pot radial calliper)?

Make sure you run a cush drive hub in the rear, get tubeless spokes/nipples, you upgrade the front brake, rotor and master cylinder and gear the rear sprocket down to a 48T. Other than that I'd say ride it, see what you like and don't like and change it to suit your style.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
The warp 9's come with a 320 rotor, but it's non-floating. I'm not much of a brake connisouer and would imagine most of the 320mm rotors would offer relatively the same performance.

Master cylinder wise I use the TRX450R master and they offer all the braking performance that I need and come with an electric brake switch.

My criteria is when I pull the lever I want the bike to slow down...the faster the better. A warp 9 rotor and TRX master cylinder get the job done for me. Once again, I'm not super savvy on all of the different brake products.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm just going to get those wheels, the beringer 6piston caliper and use the stock master cylinder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts