SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a reliable bike that can do 65 to 75 all day if i need it to and still be relible, cheap on gas and good on insurance.. what would be a good choice? im looking at spending around 3k max a 400cc+ would be ideal but if there is a cheaper way to do 75mph easy and get good mileage i would love to know! i would like to get the cheapest insurance and best economy still being able to 75 with out blowing it up because i will be going to Automotive collage next summer and im sure i wont get the best job to start out with so cheap is good..

My other questions are What do you pay for insurance for your bike and what mileage does it get and how is it on freeways? feel free to put your 2 cents in! Thanks!

Ps sorry for repeating myself :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Drz or a honda xr650l would be your best bet

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
A DRZ-SM can do it, but it's a matter of how long your butt will last on the hard narrow seat.

Insurance and registration is super cheap.

Depends on your Ins Carrier. Some go strictly by CC's, others factor in sport models and age.

You didn't say how many miles a day / week you were going to put on at freeway speeds / conditions.

Perhaps an older cruiser or even ten year old (or more) 600cc sport bike or Kawasaki KLR650 would still be in the same Ins. price range. Regarding MPG, factor in overall cost of ownership, not just fuel. More often than not, the biggest cost on my bikes has been tires. Soft, sporty rubber goes quick and is relatively expensive. A cruiser, or dual sport bike with harder compound, narrow non-premium rubber will save you a bunch of time and money. In addition, KLR's despite their size can get just as good of mileage when flat running at constant freeway speeds, with a much larger range due to fuel capacity, much more comfort due to larger seat and moderate wind protection. Plus, they don't die either and are cheap and easy to repair when tipped over, etc.

Then again, a cherry 1990's CBR600 or ZX-6 before they got really razor sharp road racy bikes were more like mini sport touring bikes. A early Hurricane or Ninja from a western state with no rust, etc can be found cheap. $1500 saved in purchase price goes a long way towards paying an insurance premium or fuel bill for the year.

Also think cruisers (serious). Cheap to insure, and those 700cc-ish early models can often be found sitting in a garage with near zero miles in cherry shape, just in need of a battery. Again, cheap on tires, good on fuel and comfortable for the long haul if you are just looking for basic transportation and not concerned with style points or any of that crap.

If total cost and reliability were top priorities, then go old school road warrior style with a mid-level cruiser, soft bags, home made tail box or whatever and just suit up and ride. Spend money where it counts; Good safety gear. If you aren't blessed with SoCal weather, then get good jackets, boots and gloves from yard sales, craigslist or wherever people get rid of old ski and hiking gear, etc.

Many a man has lived off beans and weiners and had nothing more than two wheels for transportation until life picks up. Some prefer the life and travel all over the world and back that way, even when they could afford much "better" equipment.

Be creative.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I notice you have a 426yzf how much is that insurance on it? Thanks for the reply!
Its cheap. Its less than 200 for the year for full coverage. Also I get around 40mpg. Only have a 2.1 gal tank though. As far as the highway I try to avoid it but I don't cummute with it. I can cruise at 65 or 70 no problem though

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A DRZ-SM can do it, but it's a matter of how long your butt will last on the hard narrow seat.

Insurance and registration is super cheap.

Depends on your Ins Carrier. Some go strictly by CC's, others factor in sport models and age.

You didn't say how many miles a day / week you were going to put on at freeway speeds / conditions.

Perhaps an older cruiser or even ten year old (or more) 600cc sport bike or Kawasaki KLR650 would still be in the same Ins. price range. Regarding MPG, factor in overall cost of ownership, not just fuel. More often than not, the biggest cost on my bikes has been tires. Soft, sporty rubber goes quick and is relatively expensive. A cruiser, or dual sport bike with harder compound, narrow non-premium rubber will save you a bunch of time and money. In addition, KLR's despite their size can get just as good of mileage when flat running at constant freeway speeds, with a much larger range due to fuel capacity, much more comfort due to larger seat and moderate wind protection. Plus, they don't die either and are cheap and easy to repair when tipped over, etc.

Then again, a cherry 1990's CBR600 or ZX-6 before they got really razor sharp road racy bikes were more like mini sport touring bikes. A early Hurricane or Ninja from a western state with no rust, etc can be found cheap. $1500 saved in purchase price goes a long way towards paying an insurance premium or fuel bill for the year.

Also think cruisers (serious). Cheap to insure, and those 700cc-ish early models can often be found sitting in a garage with near zero miles in cherry shape, just in need of a battery. Again, cheap on tires, good on fuel and comfortable for the long haul if you are just looking for basic transportation and not concerned with style points or any of that crap.

If total cost and reliability were top priorities, then go old school road warrior style with a mid-level cruiser, soft bags, home made tail box or whatever and just suit up and ride. Spend money where it counts; Good safety gear. If you aren't blessed with SoCal weather, then get good jackets, boots and gloves from yard sales, craigslist or wherever people get rid of old ski and hiking gear, etc.

Many a man has lived off beans and weiners and had nothing more than two wheels for transportation until life picks up. Some prefer the life and travel all over the world and back that way, even when they could afford much "better" equipment.

Be creative.
Thanks for the info it definatly showed me what i forgot to tell you guys... i am 5"8" so a tall bike might not work well for me i have sat on a stock drz 400 and both feet will not touch the ground so i would put a lowering link in it or something... i think im going to do about a 100 miles a day 50 each way to school and home unless i buy an apartment nearby and the commute would be like mostly highway travel from what i see on google maps.. and i would be in Avondale ,Arizona so the weather will be ideal for a bike..

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Based on what you are saying a "standard" bike sounds like your best bet...

Look for an SV650 maybe, or something along those lines. You'll get a reliable, low maintenance, low insurance bike.

An SM for mostly highway is not a great move IMHO... I would not put my DRZ through 100 miles of highway multiple times per week. Maybe once or twice per month, but I'd do under 70mph for the whole ride and still would not be comfortable doing it.

A naked/standard bike may be your best bet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks For all your opinions i will probably look into a street bike but i would love to have a SM nothing beats it but a 650 SM might be a bit big for me and i dont see the point in boring and stroking a drz to handle freeway speeds.. i've ridden dirt bikes a long time now mostly 250's and 500's with the suspension softened so i can actually touch the ground lol... i cruise my uncles XR600 around no problem down trails but on the street it might be a bit tall.. i have no on road experience definitely going to take the motorcycle courses before i journey to far... i love the look of street fighters but they seem like they would be more expensive on insurance and a bear on long distance journeys... if im wrong tell me because a streetfighter would be my preference over a regular street bike.. whats your opinions on street bikes around the 600cc range like a ninja or gsxr something like that.. how would the insurance be compared to a SM?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Like he said^. I am 5'7 and I can get both toes down on my yz426. In dirt trim I can only touch one toe. It never botherd me at all. Dirtbikes are so light it not hard to balance. U shouldn't be able to flatfoot unless your over 6 foot.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If i planned on doing 100 mile trips on a regular basis, I would probably look into a real comfy cruiser. Im not a cruiser kind of guy but if I had long trips to make I wouldn't hesitate to get one just for that. My SV does okay. I took a day trip with my dad once, I was on my SV, him on his FJR1300. We swapped bikes for the ride home and wow, it was great on his FJR. Sport touring has come a long way. Unfortunately they are usually bigger bikes. How about a ZZR600? They are cheaper insurance that a ZX6R, cheaper to buy, more comfortable yet still fast and look great (the newer ones). Honda 599's are good, or even a Yamaha FZ6. Any amount of freeway over 20miles everyday would be a drag on a supermoto, unless it was a 690 or something.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Your ass gets used to it. My seat it as wide as a 2x4 and almost as hard as one. When I first got it I my ass would feel it after maybe 15 minutes. Now I can go over a 100 miles before I start to feel it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I vote this. I think you could probley touch the ground on one of these

·
Registered
125 Posts
My DRZ won't go much more than 90 miles on a stock tank. With a 16T front sprocket, it does highway speeds fine with no motor mods (I did just put in a stroker crank, and it's still fine), 45-49mpg when I do commute. I usually ride the versys to work instead cause it's a shitty boring ride. Literally 4 corners on a 30 mile one way ride on flat roads. $160/year for liability with high limits.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
finally got a soon to be sumo~!

i finally got a 2002 CRF 450 i know its not the best sumo bike but i got it for a screaming deal..

I wanted to turn the CRF450 into a street legal sumo.. i know that i can get a kit through motostrato: http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto-...reet-legal.htm but i do not like the any of the lights there all way too bulky and ugly looking.. so my real question is has anyone done a buell lightning headlight conversion on a motocross bike? would the stator put out enough power? if not what could i do to make it work? Does anyone offer like stealth turn signals kinda like the tail tidy on a DRZ400 for a CRF450?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts