SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been into streetbikes for a while, probably not unlike most of you. But I'm getting tired of them because I can't hammer on my bikes without breaking triple digits and risking my life. So I'm looking for something a little more fun around town.
I drive mostly in town, maybe the occasional freeway stint (no more than 10 miles usually).

I was looking at DRZ400 but I've been extremely interested in the Husqvarna SM450R I want something with mid sized displacement (400-500cc's) but enough power so i wont get too bored with it (which is why I beleive the sm450r is perfect) or have to fiddle with it to make more power and endanger the reliability.

I'd be riding mostly on a daily basis, whats the maintanence/reliability of Huskys? How are they for daily riders? I'm open to other bikes as well, but my attention is pretty stuck on the sm450r. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't have experience with the particular bikes your talking about, but I came from a sportbike background also. Sportbikes for about 15 years, raced them for 4 years and bought my second super moto (KTM 690 SMC) and it was the right choice for sure!! I have a blast on this bike, corners like its on rails, wheelies at will and still fast enough to hang with the sport bikes ( and pass them in the twisties). Enjoy, I have with no regrets. I know the DRZ's are bullet proof, but a former racer friend talked me out of that bike, due to power reasons. I have never ridden one, so I can't say for myself, but I am super happy with my KTM.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you can find a DRZ with the goodies on it (FCR carb, yoshi pipe, 3x3 mod) it will be a great starter bike. I have an S model I bought from a friend and converted it to a SM bike. It isn't fast but it is very quick. Like zoner said they are bulletproof, even with a better cam and a 450 big bore kit, Burned at Thumpertalk builds DRZs up to 85 rwhp and they are still bulletproof - don't believe me go the TT and do a search.

However you will want to move up in the power. I, for example, have an urge to have my bike wheelie out of corners so I am moving up to a 690 SMC or a 560 SMR KTM. But when the maintence is due on the KTM and I dont have time or parts I will still have my DRZ to take out and have a blast on.

If you go Husky just move up the sm510r...you will want the power if you ride with one while on you sm450r.

Another choice is a WR450F converted. I have been debating that one myself. Good luck with your hunt. Either way no matter the bike you will have the biggest smile you have ever had (from a bike anyway)

·
Registered
18 Posts
KTM690 x 3. I just upgraded from a DRZ400SM. The biggest problem with the DRZ400SM IMO is the lack of a 6th gear. Riding over 70mph for any distance is really pushing it, and the geometry is pure dirt bike, oh, and the seat is pure dirt bike too. Don't get me wrong, I loved my DRZ ... but my new KTM 690 SMR is in a completely different league! this bike is comfortable at highway speeds with it's 6 speed and almost twice as much power, it's geometry is a lot more stable, has a comfortable seat. and is a total blast to ride, and it gets better gas mileage too! :bike:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys.

Thats the exact reason i dont want a DRZ, lack of power. I think the DRZ is perfect for a starter bike, but im only new to supermoto not bikes in general. Now I know its got plenty of power and you never NEED over 30hp but i WANT more. So why spend my money on something I dont actually want?

I would go for the sm510r husky but I feel that the smaller stroke of the 450 may come in handy as far as reliability/maintanence goes. Unless someone can talk me into the 510 :hmmm:

Really my issue is that I dont have experience with huskys is a lack of knowledge of them and their reputation. I need to know how the maintanence is on them and if they're worthy daily riders.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This won't help you much, but I'm going through the same thought process right now. Getting damn tired of $800 race weekends on the SV, and since crashing and orthopedic surgery last year I can't find my mojo to get back up to speed on the thing so it's not a lot of fun right now. My street 06 R6 is an incredible machine, but winding out 2nd gear puts you in handcuff and/or serious hospital territory if anything goes wrong. I am married with little kids so it'll be a while before I need a bike that'll do any real touring. So what I am trying to figure out is do I sell the R6 and get a street supermoto (Husky 610 is where I am leaning) or do I unload the SV race bike and get a race supermoto (like any 450)..........

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
i just traded in my 1999 CB900rr that i owned for about 6yrs and personally tracked 6-7times and put a good 30-40k miles on it -- for the 2008 KTM 690 SMR.

No regrets. In my group on my the heels of my friends with liter bikes, the only time they get away from me is in the long sweepers and straights ( the SMR will get from 0 - 80 very quickly - but past 80 it's "duty zone" is gone and its certainly not the bike to be taking long sweepers @ 95mph on )

depends on your riding spots really.

edit: For me, it was a safety issue. I'm over crashing @ 110mph. The Supermotards, the fun is to be had between 35 and 75mph - much safer imho

·
The Mod Squad
2,613 Posts
I feel that the smaller stroke of the 450 may come in handy as far as reliability/maintanence goes. Unless someone can talk me into the 510 :hmmm:
You have to get into the big thumper class to get out of the HIGH maintenance schedules. (Except the DRZ or and older 400 based machines). The newer 450/510/530 ect machines are all based on "racing four stroke" design and carry very little oil. Valve check/adjust intervals are very short and oil changes are frequent. If you are commuting, you need to stay on top of the schedules, otherwise you WILL loose reliability. They are great bikes, but there is always a trade off. With the big bikes, maint is less but weight is more.

It's personal preference really....

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want to commute, and don't like maintenance, stay away from the 450 and 510. The husky 610 is more road worthy. DRZ would be the best. Speed and power isn't everything, which is why I'm selling my sport bike as well. I realize I would have a lot more fun flogging a 40hp drz everywhere and not worry about dropping it and blowing off the $1000 plastics..lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
Coming from an SV to the DRZ (which I just bought last week), yes, there is a big power difference. But I knew that coming in and I'm having a blast flogging the snot out of it. Exhaust and Jet Kit is coming this weekend, so the excitement and fun factor is only going to increase.

If you make no false expectations of the bike, the DRZ can/is a fun bike to own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts