SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Been riding for quite a few years now and I am dying to get an sm. I'm in CA, so I need something that can be plated here (huge pain in the butt). I'm hoping to get something with a good amount of horsepower (50s-60s) but won't break the bank I know it's a lot to ask for but I'm very savvy with bikes. I've never taken one to a mechanic and I do everything the right way. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I know jack about California plating laws but I seem to remember that it's a tough job to get dual sport bikes like the WR450 registered there.

My suggestions are with an English, UK slant but If you're good with bikes I'd suggest something like an XR600, or KTM 625. I'd expect the KTM to be less hassle but harder to find though.

The DRZ400 would probably be the least hassle but it's not very powerful. I think you'd have to spend a hell of a lot to get it up to 50hp. Any of your big CC players would give you enough oomph. KTM525/530/560/625/640/660/690. Husaberg FS570/650, Honda XR650/600. Also, all the race class 450's are 50+ but good luck getting those plated!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
No such thing as an inexpensive, reliable supermoto with 50-60hp.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a CA plated ktm 300 exc 2 stroker. Can't believe someone was able to get a plate for it, but that may be fun.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Getting a CA plate from the onset is much easier than getting it to transfer. Pre 2001 are grandfathered in, so they say, if the were titled prior to Feb or Mar of 2002. No modern 2 stroke can be plated, albeit it has been done and I'm quite sure it could be done again. Check the VIN for the "3 or C" in the 8th(?) place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What do you mean by "wont break the bank"? Some of us have bigger banks than others... Are you looking to spend less than 3K? or less than 5k?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean by "wont break the bank"? Some of us have bigger banks than others... Are you looking to spend less than 3K? or less than 5k?
Less than or around 3k for the bike would be ideal. Then 17" wheels after that plus other mods with time.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
$3000 super moto with 50+ hp...

"ran fine when parked"
"just needs bottom end"
"minor fire/flood/radiation damage"

unless it's a divorce sale, those are always interesting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts