SuperMoto Junkie banner

Looking for 05-06 era WP fork experts...

Tags
wp forks
858 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tfunk 
#1 ·
Are you an expert on 2004-2005 era WP forks? I have a little conundrum for you. Here is my story as brief as possible:

I have an 05 625 SMC that needed new lower/inner fork tubes due to corrosion. I searched and searched and found a supposedly interchangeable set from a 05 Husaberg 450 FE. According to the parts fiches and cross referencing parts numbers this should have been a tit for tat swap (after swapping the axle clamps). Oh so easy...

Upon dis assembly I discovered some major differences between the two as follows (for your info, the Husaberg forks have been revalved by MX Tech, so things may have been changed a bit already from stock):

1. The KTM chrome lowers are the same external diameter for the full length. However the Husaberg's have a slight reduction from just below the holes to approx 8 inches down the tube.

2. The 4 holes on the top end are smaller on the Husaberg's when compared to the KTMs.

3: The rebound rod of the Husaberg is about 1/2 inch longer than the KTM's.

Upon dis assembly there was only two bushings and no aluminum spacer (indicating 04 or older) which I thought may have been the reason for the smaller diameter section of the Huseberg's. (Removed during revalve maybe?)

Everything else looks identical except the obvious valving differences.

My 1st question is: are the Husaberg forks really from an 05? I'm hoping the skinny section may be a giveaway. I have replacement bushings and seals for my KTM fork and would like to know if they are interchangeable. (Is there a way to identify the bushings to compare?)

My second question is what would be the reason for the different size holes and length of the rebound rod? Can I simply swap the KTM valving and springs into the Husaberg forks without a significant difference in operation? Would it be that much of a difference when compared to stock KTM setup (I'm a street cruiser, not a hard core racer)

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats a problem isnt it :bannana: While im no Wp expert i have done swaps as you are describing with both success and failure. My recommendation is if you can get some pics up. That should clarify some things. I have also used aftermarket suspension companies for re-valves and they do change thing up so i would try to find out the stock specs before i did anything. I would calibrate the bushings to see how close they are and go from there. Sorry i couldnt help more. :headscrat

#4 ·
Those are NOT 05 lowers.

Looks to me like the early 03/04 FE/FC/FS style lower that used a spacer :4860.0245 DISTANZSTÜCK 50,95X0,85X161,5 SPACER 50,95X0,85X161,5
BTW... KTM early forks used them too....

So that machined area uses a tall thin spacer... 50.95mm X 0.85MM X 161.5mm

Not the same forks. Check with N.O.S.T (Novation Offroad Suspension Technologies) A WP trained at the factory Suspension GOD. Pete Russell

novationsuspension.com
pete@novationsuspension.com
Phone 509-879-3751
Fax 509-891-5346
6911 E. 9th Ave
Spokane, Washington 99212

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.