SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess you guys thought I was going to ask questions about what I should do for this or that but NOOOO. Just a little ride report here in IOWA.
So the Dept of Natural Resources here operates several parks that are free to ride if you have an up to date registration (about 16 bucks a year for the sticker) on your dirt bike. With this you can ride at any of those parks. Well since it flooded, only about 2 parks are still open. The closest being 90 some odd miles from me. So I get my bike loaded up (yes it is a mini but not what you guys are used to) and take off this morrning. After about 40 miles on the interstate I veer off down a 2 lane road for about 35 miles. In IOWA this is all an empty nothingness of a drive, nothing but corn fields. Then I get to the turn off to go to the park and have 15 miles of gravel to go to get to the actual park entrance (see pic from inside truck cab below). Unload the bike and look around and see lots of people riding around. This place is Called Bluff Creek OHV park. Youtube some videos of it. Pretty neat place where they used to mine for something. Now lots of trails and 3 dirt tracks.

One of the dirt tracks was where I was headed. The Kids/minis track (see other pic below). Since I can't ride worth a darn and I was on a mini, I stuck to the mini track and was getting passed by kids on ktm's and honda's of all sizes. (supposed to be 100cc or below. but there were some 225's and what not riding. Nice place if you are out that way since it was free. Oh and if you are out of state you can buy your sticker at walmart or any place that sells huntung licenses. If you live in Iowa you have to go to your county recorders office for the first time, then you can renew at any of the before mentioned places.

On to the bike, it is a 2000 kx65!! 2 stroke woooo. With a few mods for me to ride it since I weigh 210.

Handlebars: When I bought the bike (to be a motard eventually, my main motivation on getting the bike) It came with MSR handlebars. I put and extra clamp block under them with some longer bolts to raise them up another inch.

Rear shock: (the magic) a 2007 gsxr 750 sportbike shock ( a 2006 would have worked as well as they are the same) I think they changed in 08 and the pre 06's had a resevoir that was at a weird angle and it would have hit the seat. To mount it you have to use some washers to spread the links in the linkage out some as the bottom of the shock is a little wider. But the bolt hole is the same size. At the top the bolt hole is the right size as well but you just need to grind away some of the mount (if you look at it you will know where) and it bolted right in. Ebay had about 20 of the shocks for about $20-$30 bucks. and the washers to shim it around were about $2 from ACE, not bad. It worked awesome in the woops too.. as far as I knew since I didnt get thrown off. It had an adjustment on it, not sure if it is rebound or what but I didnt mess with it. Check picture of shock below. Just take the top bolt off (in the pic you can see it) and it is even the same height as the stock kx65 shock.

Front forks. Minibikesprings.com I told him about the motard intention and my weight and he sent springs I think they were $89 and they were .46's I think.
They worked well in the dirt and I had no complaints.

I put a washer in the exhaust port the choked it off some so the hit would not be as bad, without the washer it is like a light switch. ( I need to work on form before I need speed ). I had the washer lying around.

Staggs KlX110 tall seat $39. Bolted right on. No monkey butt, I was there for about 2.5 hours.

Since the shock was bigger, and had a resevoir mounted fixed to it I had to lose the airbox so no muddy riding this bad boy. I got a cone filter from UNI with the stainless mesh around it. that just fit between the carb and shock.

Bike also came with a set of green plastic too. KLX110 plastic works on it.

And thats it. not bad for all of $1200 Check the picture of it below. Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS> I got the 12 inch rims, spokes ready to go on for motard action but after riding it in the dirt and driving 90 miles each way and seeing how much gas that took I might be selling them (the track that is closer than 90 miles is flooded but suppsed to be open in august). The closest motard track is over 3 hours away. May just stick to dirt with the mini. It was very fun.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one had thoughts of using the gsxr shock on their kx65 for motarding? for $30 might be worth it for the budget guys. I rode the kx up the street with the shock on it and my dirt knobs. and it rode pretty sweet. Just saying. MY KX is a 2000 model

Rear shock: (the magic) a 2007 gsxr 750 sportbike shock ( a 2006 would have worked as well as they are the same) I think they changed in 08 and the pre 06's had a resevoir that was at a weird angle and it would have hit the seat. To mount it you have to use some washers to spread the links in the linkage out some as the bottom of the shock is a little wider. But the bolt hole is the same size. At the top the bolt hole is the right size as well but you just need to grind away some of the mount (if you look at it you will know where) and it bolted right in. Ebay had about 20 of the shocks for about $20-$30 bucks. and the washers to shim it around were about $2 from ACE, not bad. It worked awesome in the woops too.. as far as I knew since I didnt get thrown off. It had an adjustment on it, not sure if it is rebound or what but I didnt mess with it. Check picture of shock below. Just take the top bolt off (in the pic you can see it) and it is even the same height as the stock kx65 shock.

Just have to unbolt the gsxr mount from the shock (arrow is pointing to it) That was the hardest thing to do. IF you guys want me to do a test with motard tires on I can do that I have some trials tires that will fit the stock rims that I bought the other day for about 8 bucks each.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
i had the same problem witht he GSXR shock so i bought an Ohlins shock for KX65 and ill revalve it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts