SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Sounds delicious. :lol:

Those older LC4 motors make a shitload of noise as it is, but something does sound a little clattery and odd. I don't know much about them, but I do know there are rocker arm issues? That Tim dude from Florida with like 70k on his motor will probably chime in shortly...

Gerry

·
Registered
50 Posts
doesnt sound good, dont ride it any more until its checked out by a mechanic or someone that knows their stuff.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know dodge131 is gonna listen to this for about 5 seconds, shut it off, and say rod or crank bearing going bad.

WTF though? I rode this bike last thursday night, it sounded awesome, and it pulled hard. Poor dude buys it Saturday, and it's making noise already today. That's some messed up BS right there.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Umm you mean he bought a SMC right? and it should be a 04 or newer with the high flow head.....but there is more ticking there than should be.........start with a oil change and inspect from the top down, good luck.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Humm, something not right for sure? YouTube is tough for figuring out sounds but it sounds lower and deeper than a roller tick. Of course pulling the rocker box off is first up, check for the intake roller bearing to be worn and or loose. If it's really bad the cam is probably shot as well. If it is the roller and it is really worn, I'd be talking to the PO. If it didn't sound like that when he bought it and it's really worn, the PO adjusted the valves and sold it to keep from having to deal with it.:headshake

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for posting this John .. Me and Noah went to rock creek park and it started making the noise all of a sudden .. I rode it maybe a little over a 100 miles .. I did notice the oil looked really dirty .. I did find youtube video of a guy with similar noise with crankcase bearing issues. I am tempted to open the sucker up but with no experience on working on motors / no garage not sure I should venture into it .. I actually rode it to school hoping the noise would "go away" .. nop!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Humm, something not right for sure? YouTube is tough for figuring out sounds but it sounds lower and deeper than a roller tick. Of course pulling the rocker box off is first up, check for the intake roller bearing to be worn and or loose. If it's really bad the cam is probably shot as well. If it is the roller and it is really worn, I'd be talking to the PO. If it didn't sound like that when he bought it and it's really worn, the PO adjusted the valves and sold it to keep from having to deal with it.:headshake

Keep us posted.
I am the p.o. And I can assure you that you are way off with your last comment. I AM mechanically inclined and have offered any assistance possible to deep.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Thanks for posting this John .. Me and Noah went to rock creek park and it started making the noise all of a sudden .. I rode it maybe a little over a 100 miles .. I did notice the oil looked really dirty .. I did find youtube video of a guy with similar noise with crankcase bearing issues. I am tempted to open the sucker up but with no experience on working on motors / no garage not sure I should venture into it .. I actually rode it to school hoping the noise would "go away" .. nop!
I would stop riding it immediatley. If it is the lower bearings, you are waiting for it to destroy the bottom of your motor. If you are friends with john (orangeshirtdude), then you surely know Dodge131, he is pretty knowledgeable with the KTM's. Hit him up for advice and / or assistance in fixing your broken machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could be so many things

Broken Balancer shaft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBad_eErXyE

Balancer shaft bearing
http://vimeo.com/10296131

crankshaft main bearing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJulJeJarhE

and probably more possibilities but some thing that can go bad in a matter of minutes is more likely
*edit* the guy from the bad crankshaft video says it happened to him within minutes also so that is not out of question

I would stop riding it immediatley. If it is the lower bearings, you are waiting for it to destroy the bottom of your motor. If you are friends with john (orangeshirtdude), then you surely know Dodge131, he is pretty knowledgeable with the KTM's. Hit him up for advice and / or assistance in fixing your broken machine.
I am riding it no more. Dodge has seen the video and he thinks its bad and needs rebuild. I sure will be bugging him a lot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts