SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i couldn't find this anywhere. Who has the lightest drz-400 and what are some of the mods you did to the reduce weight? Price? Efficiency?

·
Registered
284 Posts
i did the rider mod. i can get mine cookin coz im a small guy (140lbs)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Humm..... I'm not sure that there are many "weight reduction" mods that would make much of a dent. the DRz engine just seems like one of the heavier ones out there. Might be better off making engine / carb mods & power up type stuff as opposed to being a weight weenie.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I agree with Pepe, there is no major weight reduction.

You can do some minor stuff.

Change the mirrors, remove rear passenger pegs, rear fender eliminator, change front fender, use plastic fuel tank, replace speedo with A vapor, change headlight assembly to a lighter one and use carbon fiber components where you can. This will give some weight reduction, but not a major amount.

I have done most of the above, but never weighed my bike to see what it is at now. Next time I take my bike to work, I will put it on the scale and report back what it weighs in at.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
You can do some minor stuff.

Change the mirrors, remove rear passenger pegs, rear fender eliminator, change front fender, use plastic fuel tank, replace speedo with A vapor.
it's all the small stuff that adds up to a lot. I'm sure if you put your back (and wallet...) into it you could get a DRZ down to a weight that's closer to that of a race bike.

think the biggest weight reductions that are still within reach are swapping out the stock steel tank with either a plastic or aluminum one, ditching the heavy exhaust system with anything aftermarket made out of titanium and looking at a lighter set of wheels (stock hubs are often pretty bulky). suspension comes to mind as well but that's a pretty big investment if your looking at stuff like a complete ohlins setup.

then there's all the other stuff: ditch all the unnecessary electrics, ditch the mirrors, change the handlebars, remove the huge stock chainguides, modify the subframe, etc...

·
Registered
104 Posts
it's all the small stuff that adds up to a lot. I'm sure if you put your back (and wallet...) into it you could get a DRZ down to a weight that's closer to that of a race bike.
I really dont think theres anything you can do to drop 100lbs off the bike to make it anywhere near a 'race bike' weight.
I shed everything i could possibly get rid of on my DRZ when i raced it - it was still a pig compared to my friends Husa 550.
Not too mention the CRF's, KTM's.
Best weight reduction is to get another bike - but thats not why you got a DRZ in the first place - its like taking a clydesdale up against thoroughbreds.

·
Registered
923 Posts
i think i have taken off 30 lbs from stock . i need to go to get it checked but im sure it is close i have cut off subframe and pegs and much more pluss taken off so much stuff 30 lbs is close

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I really dont think theres anything you can do to drop 100lbs off the bike to make it anywhere near a 'race bike' weight.
I shed everything i could possibly get rid of on my DRZ when i raced it - it was still a pig compared to my friends Husa 550.
Not too mention the CRF's, KTM's.
Best weight reduction is to get another bike - but thats not why you got a DRZ in the first place - its like taking a clydesdale up against thoroughbreds.
What would you say is the average weight of a race bike?

I will weigh my bike later this week at work, as long as there is no rain like today. The Manual says a stock DRZ SM weighs in at 297 lbs. I really do not think I have shaved as much as Anthony has, I'm thinking maybe 20 lbs. (which has gone to waste seeing how I have gained 20 lbs body weight since I bought the bike:headshake)

·
Registered
923 Posts

I will weigh my bike later this week at work, as long as there is no rain like today. The Manual says a stock DRZ SM weighs in at 297 lbs. I really do not think I have shaved as much as Anthony has, I'm thinking maybe 20 lbs. (which has gone to waste seeing how I have gained 20 lbs body weight since I bought the bike:headshake)
stock DRZ SM weighs in at 297 lbs this is dry weight --- i have heard with all the --fluids --the stock sm is 318 lbs ? thats with 2 qts oil and antifreeze and 2 1/2 gallons of gas .

·
Registered
104 Posts

I havent weighed my Husky, but 'published' its at ~240lbs, and going back to back on both bikes and having to lift onto a stand the DRZ is a pig.
As for a race specc'd CRF im not sure - but around 220lbs is very light for a 50+hp machine.
Once i get my Husky put all back together ill weigh it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I havent weighed my Husky, but 'published' its at ~240lbs, and going back to back on both bikes and having to lift onto a stand the DRZ is a pig.
As for a race specc'd CRF im not sure - but around 220lbs is very light for a 50+hp machine.
Once i get my Husky put all back together ill weigh it.
my drz470sm is over 50 hp

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks to everyone for posting their specs - by the looks of it, a DRZ can be made a formidable machine.
I just thought it better to invest the thousand+$$ into an intended race platform.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ok, so today was the day to weigh my bike with all the mods and items I replaced.

I filled my tank up all the way (with a little extra for the extra distance to get to work) made sure I had proper oil level and I am pretty sure my coolant level is good, as there are no leaks and I check the level once a month. :D

First some stats that I googled. (As I had no fricken idea :headscrat)

Weight of gas: 6.216 lbs per gallon (regular unleaded)

Weight of oil: 7.5 lbs per gallon (Standard 30wt)

Weight of Antifreeze: 9 lbs per gallon (Ethylene glycol)

Amount of fluids in bike per Clymer’s Manual M477.

Fuel: 2.6 gallons

Oil: 1.9 quarts (with filter change)

Coolant: 1.3 quarts

Weight of stock DRZ SM: 297 lbs

Weight of DRZ SM Wet: 319.65 (Anthony was pretty close with the 318lbs :clap:)

Now for my stats! :thumbup:

Weight of my bike with fluids: 308 lbs

Weight of all fluids at full capacity.

Gas 16.16 lbs

Oil 3.56 lbs

Coolant 2.93

Total weight of all fluids = 22.65 lbs

Bike weight minus fluid weight: 285.35 lbs :bannana:

Total weight savings, 11.65 lbs or a 4% weight reduction. :headshake

Keep in mind that nothing I have done to the bike had a goal of weight savings. :coffee:

I would think if you really wanted to save some weight, you need to change some of the following:

Gas tank to plastic tank
Change wheel hubs and rims.
Lighter seat (if one is made)
Get rid of all the lights and mirrors.
Change levers and perches.
Change battery to a Life battery.

With most of this, you might be able to knock off 30 lbs. :hmmm:

Disclaimer: I am no expert in any of this. Believe what you want to believe. :anim_peep:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
i think i have taken off 30 lbs from stock . i need to go to get it checked but im sure it is close i have cut off subframe and pegs and much more pluss taken off so much stuff 30 lbs is close
really ? 30lbs ? where ?

i could lose 30lbs and feel better all the way around. but on the bike... you'd have to strip:

headlight, signals, subframe, mirrors, sidestand, brake calipers, 1/2 the spokes, starter, kickstarter, and a few other things like 1/2 the clutch pack and 2 of the gears before you'd see anything happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts