SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 Duke II 640 and I immediately noticed a gas leak. Its hard to tell exactly where its coming from but it doesn't start drip dropping until the bike has been running for a couple minutes and components heat up. It looks like its emanating from a nub under the rear wheel arch. I took a video after running the bike around the block and you can see the small puddle of gas forming under the bike and dripping on the exhaust pipe and kickstand. It's definitely gas judging by the smell. I wish I could offer more information but I'm fairly new to riding and I'm not very savvy.

Can anyone help me locate the possible source of the leak or a possible remedy? Thanks all!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Could be a clogged vent not allowing vapor to escape when the gas heats up. If you can see it dripping, open the cap and see if it continues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a clogged vent not allowing vapor to escape when the gas heats up. If you can see it dripping, open the cap and see if it continues.
You're referring to the gas cap, correct? If so, I'll give that a try. Any idea of where the vent, that is possibly clogged, is located? Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The vent is built into the gas cap I believe, if it's the same as the later dukes. should have a vent hose connected to it. If you could remove the air filter and see if it gas is running down into the airbox. If so must likely the float valve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts